Returning Metra cars

andrethebusman

Anybody have info on the ex CNW galleries Metra bought back earlier this year? Roughly 5? from Virginia Rail Express, still in Metra Silver/Blue/Red are in use, while 11 others, in very rough shape and still in white/brown/orange with no visible numbers are stored at the Rocket House. Where did these come back from? Anybody have a list of car numbers?

Andre

Anybody have info on the ex CNW galleries Metra bought back earlier this year? Roughly 5? from Virginia Rail Express, still in Metra Silver/Blue/Red are in use, while 11 others, in very rough shape and still in white/brown/orange with no visible numbers are stored at the Rocket House. Where did these come back from? Anybody have a list of car numbers?

Andre

I think the five from VRE in operation are 7825, 7836, 7838, 7840, 7848.

The eleven others were some of the 30 that went to UTA Salt Lake City in 2004 - there is a photo of 12 of them being returned to Metra on 4/15/09 at http://www.utahtransit.us/lnc1.htm . the rest were scrapped in Utah with parts being used to refurbish the secondhand Comet cars acquired from NJT. I do not have car numbers.

Andre

There are still a couple of 7700 and 7800 cars on the VRE that weren't returned, even though they started receiving newer cars.

In related news, the Tribune had the following in an article about a questionable Metra land deal:

In other business, Metra also noted a 6.5 decrease in ridership in June compared with June 2008. It cited lower gas prices and high rates of unemployment as contributing factors.

As I previously indicated, it looks like the need for the returned cars has vanished.

• 2 months later...

I was working on the south side today, I passed by the 47th st Metra yard, theres a lashup of Pullman RTA bilevel cars, at least 10 of them. A couple of them look like theyre rusting out. One car is covered in graffiti. Nine cars are coupled while a cab coach sits further down. You get an excellent view from the south end on 51st st. Wish I had my camera with me.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Attached is a coach that I don't see in the list: 7825

I took this picture last summer. My laptop started acting funny a week ago (turned out Windows XP got corrupted, a fairly common issue with NT based systems), so I replaced it with a larger hard drive.

While transfering data from the old hard drive, I found a bunch of pictures I forgot I had.

The UP crews were pretty friendly at the Waukegan Metra Station when I was there - there was originally another train blocking my shot of this coach (I took a bunch of pics!), and they were kind enough to tell me when I could get pics after that train was scheduled to leave.post-596-1273451355125_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Never mind this post. I just re-read what was written just above this post. That list was from one agency. This coach I have pics of, was listed closer to the top of the page as being back from VRE.

One of those things you don't see till you've made a post! :-)

Attached is a coach that I don't see in the list: 7825

I took this picture last summer. My laptop started acting funny a week ago (turned out Windows XP got corrupted, a fairly common issue with NT based systems), so I replaced it with a larger hard drive.

While transfering data from the old hard drive, I found a bunch of pictures I forgot I had.

The UP crews were pretty friendly at the Waukegan Metra Station when I was there - there was originally another train blocking my shot of this coach (I took a bunch of pics!), and they were kind enough to tell me when I could get pics after that train was scheduled to leave.post-596-1273451355125_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Never mind this post. I just re-read what was written just above this post. That list was from one agency. This coach I have pics of, was listed closer to the top of the page as being back from VRE.

One of those things you don't see till you've made a post! :-)

Ive spotted this car several times along the UP/NW line.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 years later...
On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2009 at 12:39 PM, busfan2847 said:

I think the five from VRE in operation are 7825, 7836, 7838, 7840, 7848.

The eleven others were some of the 30 that went to UTA Salt Lake City in 2004 - there is a photo of 12 of them being returned to Metra on 4/15/09 at http://www.utahtransit.us/lnc1.htm . the rest were scrapped in Utah with parts being used to refurbish the secondhand Comet cars acquired from NJT. I do not have car numbers.

when did 7825. 7836. 7838, 780 and 7848 return to metra