Nova Classic Retirement

jesi2282

The Novas aren't dead yet. 2379 and 2384 are both on SW routes today according to Webwatch. I'm pretty sure 2400 is running too, or at least will be during rush hour. Probably at this point though, they might be used as spares.

I believe it's still at least 10 of them still active at SW. Yesterday, I spotted #2398 (Former West) working on Route 379 on S. Cicero/ 73rd.

I believe it's still at least 10 of them still active at SW. Yesterday, I spotted #2398 (Former West) working on Route 379 on S. Cicero/ 73rd.

I know 2398, 2399, and 2400 are still out there at SW as I have physically seen them in recent days. I didn't know 2379 and 2384 were still running. I think 10 is a little high. I have to believe that even though 2393 was spotted at NS in recent weeks, it hasn't shown up in webwatch so I'm wondering if it might be on it's way out. There's been no official word 2390 bit the dust either and at last check, it was at NS too. With the new Eldos coming in, I have a feeling that the remaining ones could be gone once the Eldos roll out, wherever they end up.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As far as North Shore, I have not had any physical or WebWatch sightings lately.

I swung by North Shore division earlier today and 5 Nova Classics* were visible outside of the facility with all their Pace markings blacked out. North Shore originally had 2390-2397, but then 2394 and 2395 were put up for sale late last year, leaving them with six Nova Classics. So these 5 are presumbly five out of these six- 2390-2393, 2396 and 2397. That would leave North Shore with just 1 Nova Classic left in service, unless it too has been blacked out and towed away already :( or stored inside the garage.

*Here are some photos of the 5 Nova Classics outside of North Shore division.

post-262-12807814535426_thumb.jpg

post-262-12807822547348_thumb.jpg

post-262-12807828607668_thumb.jpg

I swung by North Shore division earlier today and 5 Nova Classics* were visible outside of the facility with all their Pace markings blacked out. North Shore originally had 2390-2397, but then 2394 and 2395 were put up for sale late last year, leaving them with six Nova Classics. So these 5 are presumbly five out of these six- 2390-2393, 2396 and 2397. That would leave North Shore with just 1 Nova Classic left in service, unless it too has been blacked out and towed away already :( or stored inside the garage.

Those have to be recent due to the U.S. Cellular ads, those were created earlier this year. The only bus that might still be alive if you didn't see it is 2393, that's the last known bus sighted on Webwatch several months ago. Somebody that knows NS can confirm, but it looks like the Novas are officially gone.

What a sad sight!! :(

I know #2392, the bus at the south end of the property visible from the yellow line has been blacked out since early July. Surprisingly the bus never left it's parking spot which it has been in for months (at least since May) which would indicate a terminal problem with that bus. (Probably unable to travel without a tow truck.) If it's still back there that's your sixth bus. At least these five seem to have gotten where they are under there own power. But the picture would seem to indicate the exit of these buses at least at North Shore.

Very disappointment! And more than few of Orion 1s which are 3-4 years older than these Novas are still active. My favorite buses are going down. Well, all I have to say is that Southwest will be only garage left for their Novas but it's difficult now to catch them daily now. At least 1-2 are out on streets each day, sometimes every other day. For example: Unit# 2379 was the only one was running Monday on webwatch on Route 386. 2379 probably the best Nova than others, its always on streets than all others. I haven't seen 2398-2400 (Former West Division) units on webwatch in few weeks.

Bus Expert: I'll take your word on the White Sox Game days which hopelly more than 2 Novas will be out those day.

Very disappointment! And more than few of Orion 1s which are 3-4 years older than these Novas are still active. My favorite buses are going down. Well, all I have to say is that Southwest will be only garage left for their Novas but it's difficult now to catch them daily now. At least 1-2 are out on streets each day, sometimes every other day. For example: Unit# 2379 was the only one was running Monday on webwatch on Route 386. 2379 probably the best Nova than others, its always on streets than all others. I haven't seen 2398-2400 (Former West Division) units on webwatch in few weeks.

Bus Expert: I'll take your word on the White Sox Game days which hopelly more than 2 Novas will be out those day.

I'll sometimes see 1 on the 381, which you can't view on Webwatch, but is definitely southwest's heaviest route. Look on 390 also, might be one over there too at times. I'll have to ride past SW garage again and see what their status is, but given that Orions 6052-6056 all moved to SW in recent months, that was a direct hit to the Novas.

I know #2392, the bus at the south end of the property visible from the yellow line has been blacked out since early July. Surprisingly the bus never left it's parking spot which it has been in for months (at least since May) which would indicate a terminal problem with that bus. (Probably unable to travel without a tow truck.) If it's still back there that's your sixth bus. At least these five seem to have gotten where they are under there own power. But the picture would seem to indicate the exit of these buses at least at North Shore.

Ok. So with 2392 also gone, the Nova Classics are no longer assigned to North Shore. :(

I've seen 6 Nova Classics at SW (2379, 2381, 2384, and 2398-2400) on Webwatch or physically over the last few weeks. And that's probably it, since 2386 and 2388 were put up for sale late last year, and the other SW ones (2380, 2382, 2383, 2385, 2387, and 2389) were presumbly wiped out by Orions VIs 6052-6056 like rotjohns noted.

I'm not sure how many buses SW uses on the 774 and 775 (about 10?), but that's ten more Orions VIs in service, making the 6 Nova Classics more probable to appear. Like I mentioned before, the next weekday Sox home games are on August 10, 11, 12, and 13 at 7 p.m., which means the buses leave the park n' ride lots between 4-5 p.m.- the thick of rush hour.

Ok. So with 2392 also gone, the Nova Classics are no longer assigned to North Shore. :(

I've seen 6 Nova Classics at SW (2379, 2381, 2384, and 2398-2400) on Webwatch or physically over the last few weeks. And that's probably it, since 2386 and 2388 were put up for sale late last year, and the other SW ones (2380, 2382, 2383, 2385, 2387, and 2389) were presumbly wiped out by Orions VIs 6052-6056 like rotjohns noted.

I'm not sure how many buses SW uses on the 774 and 775 (about 10?), but that's ten more Orions VIs in service, making the 6 Nova Classics more probable to appear. Like I mentioned before, the next weekday Sox home games are on August 10, 11, 12, and 13 at 7 p.m., which means the buses leave the park n' ride lots between 4-5 p.m.- the thick of rush hour.

I don't think so. Lately, I've seen nothing but Orions on the Sox routes. And there are no Novas running today unless they are on the 381. And given one that's blacked out, I'm sure the others will follow very very shortly. I believe that the Novas and the 1993 Orions will be gone by the end of this month.

I think 2379 might be the last Nova running. It's the only one I've seen on Webwatch this morning on the 386. I know we can't see 381 on Webwatch, but it's rare to see one on the 381 due to the heavy load of passengers on that route.

#2398 was on the same route about a day or two ago.

I think 2379 might be the last Nova running. It's the only one I've seen on Webwatch this morning on the 386. I know we can't see 381 on Webwatch, but it's rare to see one on the 381 due to the heavy load of passengers on that route.

Yesterday, 2379 was on route 390 and 2398 was on both the 379 and 386.

I don't think so. Lately, I've seen nothing but Orions on the Sox routes. And there are no Novas running today unless they are on the 381. And given one that's blacked out, I'm sure the others will follow very very shortly. I believe that the Novas and the 1993 Orions will be gone by the end of this month.

I know that the Sox routes are all Orions VIs. But with all those Orion VIs needed there, the Nova Classics are more likely to appear on other SW routes (like last week and next week). 2379 and 2398 have shown up in service today and yesterday, but as Busjack says, there's no justifiable reason to write off others recently in service (2381, 2384, 2399, and 2400) without seeing, them blacked out (if you know their lisence plate numbers), at South Holland, or Pace paperwork. Just because a bus isn't in service on one day doesn't mean we've seen the last of it.

I know that the Sox routes are all Orions VIs. But with all those Orion VIs needed there, the Nova Classics are more likely to appear on other SW routes (like last week and next week). 2379 and 2398 have shown up in service today and yesterday, but as Busjack says, there's no justifiable reason to write off others recently in service (2381, 2384, 2399, and 2400) without seeing, them blacked out (if you know their lisence plate numbers), at South Holland, or Pace paperwork. Just because a bus isn't in service on one day doesn't mean we've seen the last of it.

Didn't think about that. Guess we'll have to wait and see how the Sox do coming down the stretch. The life of the Nova Classic may depend on it... :lol:

Yesterday, 2379 was on route 390 and 2398 was on both the 379 and 386.

Yesterday (Wednesday), I've seen 2 of them which 2398 was on 384 and 2379 was on 386 (as 2nd day of this week I've seen 2379 on 386). It could be some others on 381 but maybe not. But few years ago, I've met more than few Southwest drivers and said that they rather have a Nova than an Orion VI. I guess now SW doesn't want many high floor buses on the road no more just like NW doesn't want many 1993 Orions on road also. Well, that's life thesedays, even though I'm not happy.

If you're a fan of the Nova Classics, you might wanna close you eyes. I went over to SW garage today and although I couldn't see all of them, there are at least 3 of them in the back blackened out. They were too far away to tell which ones they were based on the license plates, but the fact 2381, 2399, and 2400 haven't been seen on Webwatch as of late makes you wonder.....

Yesterday (Wednesday), I've seen 2 of them which 2398 was on 384 and 2379 was on 386 (as 2nd day of this week I've seen 2379 on 386). It could be some others on 381 but maybe not. But few years ago, I've met more than few Southwest drivers and said that they rather have a Nova than an Orion VI. I guess now SW doesn't want many high floor buses on the road no more just like NW doesn't want many 1993 Orions on road also. Well, that's life thesedays, even though I'm not happy.

That's pretty much Pace in general not wanting high floor buses on the roads anymore. A lot of people on here have voiced their unpleasant opinions about the Orion VIs. I don't think they are that bad as far as riding them, but then again, I don't drive them.

If you're a fan of the Nova Classics, you might wanna close you eyes. I went over to SW garage today and although I couldn't see all of them, there are at least 3 of them in the back blackened out. They were too far away to tell which ones they were based on the license plates, but the fact 2381, 2399, and 2400 haven't been seen on Webwatch as of late makes you wonder.....

There hasn't been any info on here about happened to SW Novas 2380, 2382, 2383, 2385, 2387 and 2389. Those 3 in the back could be some of these.

• 2 months later...