Strike or No Strike?

sw4400

I keep seeing news reports about a strike possibly being enacted soon on the feeds on the main page, then they disappear, then reappear again, then disappear again. What's the story here? Is there a strike threat or not?(not that I want one, as the CTA is what gets me around)

Also, on a much more positive note, the limit Free Rides for Seniors bill has passed the house overwhelmingly and should be going to the Senate in the next few days. But, suprise suprise, Ricky Hendon is saying he'll do everything he can to shoot it down.

Fun fact: 1/3 of the Seniors using the Free Ride program earn over $55,000/yr. They don't need it!!!

It certainly appears that now that Darrell Jefferson knows that he can get the attention of media outlets,* he will use it for all that it is worth. However, as typified by the fact that they went through arbitration on the layoffs, and the union posted the arbitration decision, we can assume full well that he knows that he can't legally or practically call a strike during a contract. Chicago Breaking News had a blare headline "CTA union plans to sue agency, no end in sight to cuts" but if one reads the article, for the first time there is an acknowledgment by the union attorney in the press that the contract grievances go to arbitration, while Fair Labor Standards Act claims may go to federal court. No matter what one thinks about the merits of those claims, that is where they get resolved.

Also, on the free rides front, the Sun-Times had Hendon more ambivalent, this time around.

*There seemed to be a progression in that:

• The first story was that the union offered concessions, then it turned out that it hadn't, then the union was going to the membership to see if it would get negotiating authority.
  • Then the position was clear that it was not opening the contract, which should have been the end of it.
  • Then the story was yesterday that the CTA, the union, and Jesse Jackson would all unite to try to get some money, although not disclosed from where.
  • Then the story to which I linked and the strike threats and the retractions thereof appeared.

Of course, I predict with the school stuff starting to hit the fan, and at least the Sun-Times ratcheting up the pressure for a tax increase, the CTA business will die down. Marilyn Stewart is already starting to take up the newshole that Jefferson wants.

Here is a short quote from Sen. Hendon in the Sun Times I believe...

"Senior citizens have paid more taxes than anyone else -- they deserve more consideration," Hendon said. "We're underestimating the amount of money generated by the seniors out there in the restaurants and in the stores spending that money because they had the opportunity to ride free."-Sen. Hendon

Looking at the income limits... a one person household that earns $27,610 would be eligible, and a two person household that earns $34,635 would be eligible. Now I think that's fair parameters since 3/4ths of the Senior Citizens fall under these limits. The other 1/4th are the people who earn over $27,610(one person) and $34,635(two people). So the only people crying about it should be those who can afford to buy the nice Cadillac, go to Las Vegas or on a nice cruise somewhere, maybe an expensive Bingo Hall or something like that. If Sen. Hendon or Gov. Quinn shoots this proposal down, then I think it's time to replace these two defunct members of our Government with fresh faces come election time.

I'd love to pay just a simple $1 for my ride, as opposed to $2.75. Even if what they pay is just .50 cents or .75 cents.

I guess two points to put you back on your ledge:

• WGN Radio mentioned that Quinn said that he didn't think the bill would get out of the State Senate, and he wasn't in favor of it.
  • Of course, while the union can't strike during a contract, I mentioned before their legal right to talk about it.

Getting back to the first, I don't really know if this is the best place to talk about politics, but I can't see those, such as the CTA Tattler author saying "I voted for Quinn despite..." or someone posting on a blog that "At least Blago gave me something," when it appears that if the state doesn't pay its bills the RTA will be out of money by May, and what Blago gave the poster isn't going to be worth much if either the bus is too crowded to board, or again if that RTA Armageddon happens. However, certain politicians continue to buy votes from the stupid, and apparently there are enough Illinois voters allowing them to do so.

I guess two points to put you back on your ledge:

• WGN Radio mentioned that Quinn said that he didn't think the bill would get out of the State Senate, and he wasn't in favor of it.
  • Of course, while the union can't strike during a contract, I mentioned before their legal right to talk about it.

Getting back to the first, I don't really know if this is the best place to talk about politics, but I can't see those, such as the CTA Tattler author saying "I voted for Quinn despite..." or someone posting on a blog that "At least Blago gave me something," when it appears that if the state doesn't pay its bills the RTA will be out of money by May, and what Blago gave the poster isn't going to be worth much if either the bus is too crowded to board, or again if that RTA Armageddon happens. However, certain politicians continue to buy votes from the stupid, and apparently there are enough Illinois voters allowing them to do so.

Quinn says that because he doesn't want to lose votes when he goes up against the Republican's candidate in the upcoming election. Quinn has put the RTA in this debacle with the service cuts, by not allowing them to raise fares for two years. It may have sounded good when he said it, but if the economy doesn't improve we might be looking at service cuts again, because raising fares is no longer an option at least for the two years. As far as striking is concerned, no city employee can strike and no one has really challenged that. I believe Streets and Sanitation was in a similar situation as the CTA with the furlough days and loss of benefits and they talked of striking but did not. Ironocally the CPS is now stuck in this same situation and they always strike. (they probably will again)

On who can strike, the Illinois Public Labor Relations Act says that only security employees, peace officers, firefighters, and paramedics are barred from striking (secs. 14 and 17). As upheld in a case involving the CTA, everyone else can strike, but only after going through a multistep process, including that if the collective bargaining agreement does not permit a strike, the agreement must have expired (sec. 17).

Maybe, not surprisingly, there is also an Illinois Educational Labor Relations Act, but it is not much different from the IPLRA as far as a strike is concerned, except that one was not allowed in Chicago for the first 18 months of school reform, which was 15 years ago.

Of course, the RTA Act affirms that Metra is under the Railway Labor Act (sec. 2.18), which has its own impasse resolution procedures.

So, unlike New York, public employee strikes are generally not banned in Illinois.

On who can strike, the Illinois Public Labor Relations Act says that only security employees, peace officers, firefighters, and paramedics are barred from striking (secs. 14 and 17). As upheld in a case involving the CTA, everyone else can strike, but only after going through a multistep process, including that if the collective bargaining agreement does not permit a strike, the agreement must have expired (sec. 17).

So given all the meetings with the CTA and the Unions, both with and without a arbitrator, is a strike becoming more of a reality here? This is something I'd really not want to see happen, as many(including myself) rely on the buses and trains. But it seems like both the CTA and the Unions are at an impass, and this usually results in a job action of some sort... We got a similar clause in our contracts at Jewel(no strike), but I'm sure if all meetings to resolve issues, both with and without an arbitrator went nowhere, we could also implement a strike, despite the clause.

So given all the meetings with the CTA and the Unions, both with and without a arbitrator, is a strike becoming more of a reality here? This is something I'd really not want to see happen, as many(including myself) rely on the buses and trains. But it seems like both the CTA and the Unions are at an impass,* and this usually results in a job action of some sort... We got a similar clause in our contracts at Jewel(no strike), but I'm sure if all meetings to resolve issues, both with and without an arbitrator went nowhere, we could also implement a strike, despite the clause.

Except that the last CTA-ATU contract was signed in 2007, so a strike would not be legal until 2012. Jefferson has been consistently saying that he is sticking with the contract, so NO WILDCAT STRIKE.

BTW, if you folks at Jewel go on strike, I'll just go to Fresh Farms, Garden Fresh, or Super H Mart. Looking at Wednesday's ads, probably will go there anyway.

*There is not an "impasse" in the labor law sense. There is a contract, not bargaining over a contract. An impasse is when there is no contract, the employer says that is my last offer, so the union says no contract no work. That certainly isn't the case here.

Doomsday I has completed(some bus mechanics and washers laid off yesterday). The Union now says more buses will be dirtier and break down more often, resulting in a slightly depleted fleet. But that's just the tip of the iceberg here... there is talk about "Doomsday II" possibly* taking place sometime during the summer due to insufficent amount of funds for the RTA as a whole(this will no doubt affect the CTA, Metra, and PACE). Anyone want to take a guess as how many CTA Operators will be laid off then? and what the CTA Bus routes will look like then? I'm going to guess close to, if not over, another 1,000 bus and rail personnel will be laid off during this Doomsday if implemented. Rail service will probably be like 25-30 min/train, with all but the Red and Blue Lines ending around 11:00p-12:30a and maybe limited(30+ min/train) or no Sunday Service on these lines(I'm probably over-exaggerating here, but with the CTA you never know). Anyhow, for what it's worth, I contacted Sen. Cullerton, hoping he and the other Senators can make the Free Rides Repeal Bill veto-proof so it automatically goes into effect, making only Senior Citizens who qualify for the Circuit Breaker Program eligible. I have yet to hear a response at time of posting, but will share it with you when I get one...

Nothing against Seniors as a whole, but the CTA is my way of getting around, and if 1/3 of Seniors with Free Rides are earning over $55,000/yr, then it's time to change the Free Rides program!!!

Blagojevich still lives through this cancerous program that's killing our Public Transit off slowly. We need to erase his Free Rides for all Seniors and give Free Rides to needy Seniors only!!!

Doomsday I has completed(some bus mechanics and washers laid off yesterday). The Union now says more buses will be dirtier and break down more often, resulting in a slightly depleted fleet. But that's just the tip of the iceberg here... there is talk about "Doomsday II" possibly* taking place sometime during the summer due to insufficent amount of funds for the RTA as a whole(this will no doubt affect the CTA, Metra, and PACE). Anyone want to take a guess as how many CTA Operators will be laid off then? ...

If it is as discussed in such places as summarized in this Chicago Current piece, basically, the state has not been paying the RTA its contribution, and if the RTA doesn't get to rejigger its finances (i.e. go further into hock without a clear way of paying), the transit authorities will shut down in May. That article leaves you free to speculate how big the cut will be then, but one can estimate that without a clear way out, eventually it has to be total.

However, with what is being said about social service providers, schools, and universities not getting paid, the CTA may be the tip of the iceberg. However, I think Quinn is using the specter of this (i.e. more mental health problems roaming the streets than usual) to force tax increases. There is talk from him about cutting school spending, but not about any reform in state government

Meanwhile Quinn says such garbage as that the $30 million from repealing free rides is nothing compared to the $166 million he provided to solve the problem (which he neither provided nor solved the problem, but put the RTA into hock). He also doesn't think that people pay taxes, if you believe his statement that "let's do the right thing for people, not politics."

I take it you are going to vote for his opponent in November.

Meanwhile Quinn says such garbage as that the $30 million from repealing free rides is nothing compared to the $166 million he provided to solve the problem (which he neither provided nor solved the problem, but put the RTA into hock). He also doesn't think that people pay taxes, if you believe his statement that "let's do the right thing for people, not politics."

I take it you are going to vote for his opponent in November.

I'm really thinking Illinois needs a change in Government... I've never, ever voted other than Democrat before... this might be the first because I think a change is needed. Quinn is not much better than Blagobolts was. Also, if I have a say in Sen. Hendon's future... bye bye!!!

Doomsday I has completed(some bus mechanics and washers laid off yesterday). The Union now says more buses will be dirtier and break down more often, resulting in a slightly depleted fleet.

The ABA for the Servicers/mechanics did a bad job of reporting that article in the Sun Times today. He mentioned how laid off cleaners mean dirtier buses. Then CTA responded by saying "less buses on the street require less people to clean them". If the Union would have said it the way it should have been, CTA would have no come back for that one. Buses were cleaned every 4000 miles at 1 time. Which was about every 20-35 days. When they had the 2nd chance people and many more cleaners 2 years ago the buses were cleaned every 2000 miles. About every 10-25 days. Now they have changed the mileage to 10,000 miles between cleanings since they have laid cleaners off. Thats about once every 3-5 months. Thats how they solved the problem. Raise the time interval between cleanings on paper. All the numbers look good. How would you like it if you cleaned your car once every 4 months or so ? But there again..... the Union failing to get the point across the way it needs to be told.

I'm really thinking Illinois needs a change in Government... I've never, ever voted other than Democrat before... this might be the first because I think a change is needed. Quinn is not much better than Blagobolts was. Also, if I have a say in Sen. Hendon's future... bye bye!!!

If it doesn't relate to transit, I don't really see the place for politics. And this path was set in part by Republican administrations and legislatures of both parties when it comes to this state properly funding anything including transit and infrastructure needs. But that's all that needs to be said on that front.

... And this path was set in part by Republican administrations and legislatures of both parties when it comes to this state properly funding anything including transit and infrastructure needs. But that's all that needs to be said on that front.

Not endorsing a certain Illinois governor now living in Terre Haute, and getting it back to transit, but he actually shepherded through Illinois First, which, inter alia, came up with about $60 million for the CTA to blow on NABIs. Googling resulted in finding this Board Presentation from the Kruesi era about the job Illinois First did to leverage federal money. All we have heard from the current gov. is that he has signed two job bills, but he doesn't tell you that they have not been bonded out. Nonetheless, license plate stickers have gone up another $20 to fund that. So, let me know when he has done something for the infrastructure of the State of Illinois, or paid its bills, including to the RTA.

Of course, not to mention sw's point that the current governor is trying to do his best to torpedo a certain bill pending in the Senate before he has to decide whether to veto it.

If it doesn't relate to transit, I don't really see the place for politics. And this path was set in part by Republican administrations and legislatures of both parties when it comes to this state properly funding anything including transit and infrastructure needs. But that's all that needs to be said on that front.

It's just general frustration, jajuan. CTA has laid off over 1,000 workers, there's talk about a possible strike(which the Union has said has been voted against at this time, but they say it's their proverbial "Ace In The Hole"). Many of us require the CTA to commute daily. Without it, commutes would become more expensive unless cabs start accepting 7-Day Passes. We got a Sen.(Hendon) who says repealing free rides for all seniors to only those who truly need it will happen "over his dead body". A Governor who seems to agree and lately, IMO, is nothing more than a splitting image of Blagobolts. Summer is coming, and the RTA now is talking Doomsday for PACE, Metra and the CTA... How will that affect things unless some income comes back? While $37 million won't fix it entirely, it'll help a little bit, and that's how much the RTA will get repealing this Blago mistake to just those seniors who qualify for the Circuit Breaker Program.

Not endorsing a certain Illinois governor now living in Terre Haute, and getting it back to transit, but he actually shepherded through Illinois First, which, inter alia, came up with about $60 million for the CTA to blow on NABIs. Googling resulted in finding this Board Presentation from the Kruesi era about the job Illinois First did to leverage federal money. All we have heard from the current gov. is that he has signed two job bills, but he doesn't tell you that they have not been bonded out. Nonetheless, license plate stickers have gone up another $20 to fund that. So, let me know when he has done something for the infrastructure of the State of Illinois, or paid its bills, including to the RTA.

Of course, not to mention sw's point that the current governor is trying to do his best to torpedo a certain bill pending in the Senate before he has to decide whether to veto it.

And yet this state is still historically last or close to last in funding just about anything be it transit, capital needs, education or just about everything else we hear about going broke or teetering these days. As I said, sounds like both parties are culpable for that. So how about anybody let me if any of the screwups from either party has a working plan to do anything over the hashing out who's the biggest crook which gets no one anywhere. And it would be refreshing to hear an idea for alternatives when proposals are shot down as unworkable. That's the type of politician that's worthy of a vote regardless of who he (or she) is.

And yet this state is still historically last or close to last in funding just about anything be it transit, capital needs, education or just about everything else we hear about going broke or teetering these days. As I said, sounds like both parties are culpable for that. So how about anybody let me if any of the screwups from either party has a working plan to do anything over the hashing out who's the biggest crook which gets no one anywhere. And it would be refreshing to hear an idea for alternatives when proposals are shot down as unworkable. That's the type of politician that's worthy of a vote regardless of who he (or she) is.

If you want something constructive:

• Get rid of the pork appropriation process (otherwise known as member items). Without regard to who is the bigger crook, and we know that all are, the main reason there was not a capital bill since 2002 is that Blago was playing games with the legislature, in that he would line item veto Dem. House pork and Rep. Senate pork, even though it resulted in funding for half a bridge spanning one river but two districts.
  • Find a realistic way of funding a capital bill. This one has apparently hit the rocks because (1) it depends on liquor taxes that the liquor distributor (note singular) is fighting, and (2) it depends on video poker, which is subject to an opt-out. I also mentioned that instead of determining what level of taxation is needed to fund a continuous capital program, this state relies on 5 year bills authorizing bonds that take 30 years to pay off. Then people blame the Secretary of State when license fees (the third funding source I mentioned) go up, when it isn't his fault.
  • Find some accountable way of using TIFs. Apparently 1/6 of the city property tax collections go into them, but what has transit, or much else, seen from them? Part of the hole under Block 37, and supposedly a rehab to come of the Wilson station house, but not the tracks and platforms themselves.

However, since the Illinois General Assembly, and especially now that Blago is gone, Madigan, are wedded to the garbage practices described in point 1, and Daley in point 3, I don't see curing the problems. Maybe the politicians here are guilty of borderline personality syndrome, in that they rather have the problem to complain about than do something to solve it.The only one to have said something outside the mold is Meeks, and that is with regard to schools.

Ignoring that the examples given lean more toward pointing a finger at one party over the other, can't disagree with you on that. I'll add to the mix that a lot of the regional mindsets that arise when problems need to be solved don't help matters any. It gets all too easy to let problems linger with that 'that's that city's problem or this is that part of the state's problem. It doesn't affect us' when there are legitimaate cases that the issue does have an effect statewide in the long run even if there is short term benefit a given region.

• Upvote 1