M.A.N's new Low-Floor Bus

sw4400

I just checked the M.A.N website and they have what looks a 40 foot Low Floor bus similar looking to the Americana model called the Lion's City and Lion's Classic.  Do you think M.A.N may make a return to the U.S Market again and will the CTA order some of these vehicles down the road?

Link posted below:

http://www.man-mn.co.uk/en/Coaches/City_bu.../City_buses.jsp

Probably not. First, CTA is locked in with New Flyer for the conceivable future (and, if the options are exercised, for enough buses to replace nearly all of the high floor ones). Also, with the unfavorable currency rate situation between the dollar and euro, it's doubtful that it would be profitable. For instance, NABI announced that old options based on old currency rates have expired as good news, but didn't mention the flip side that its prices are no longer competitive.

MAN never left Germany (except the buses are now NEOPLAN and made in Turkey and various ex-Communist areas) where website was. Why would CTA put out a new rfp in 2008 after asking for over 800 options? If MAN wanted the business, it could have bid in 2003 or 2004.

Probably not. First, CTA is locked in with New Flyer for the conceivable future (and, if the options are exercised, for enough buses to replace nearly all of the high floor ones). Also, with the unfavorable currency rate situation between the dollar and euro, it's doubtful that it would be profitable. For instance, NABI announced that old options based on old currency rates have expired as good news, but didn't mention the flip side that its prices are no longer competitive.

Maybe so, but remember the 785 additional orders of New Flyer Buses are optioned.  The CTA could cancel the rest of the order after the base order of 265 New Flyers are received and place a bid out for another company to pick up.  I'm not sure, but when the CTA made a bid for buses in 1994, they ordered 65 from New Flyer with an option for another 150-200, but probably decided not to pick up the option.  If you are wondering "where's the proof?", there is none that I know of, but merely a speculation on my part that there was a option in this order for more.  The CTA decided to place another bid out for 330 buses which was ultimately picked up by Flxible.  The people who might know if this speculation of mine is true or not would most likely be Zolk, Buslist, a CTA or New Flyer Employee.

I just returned to Chicago in 1995, and can't be authoritative, but my memory is that the 330 Flx order was firm and contemporaneous with the 5800s. The 5800s were an experimental procurement to see if low floors would work. Obviously, nothing new was purchased after that until 2000.

I'm not sure, but when the CTA made a bid for buses in 1994, they ordered 65 from New Flyer with an option for another 150-200, but probably decided not to pick up the option

The option was cancelled after the CTA discovered structure cracks behind the rear doors in the 9800 and 9900 series buses. The CTA did not like the way Flyer addressed the problem, told Flyer they would take delivery of 25 more buses which were 1600-1624 and then cancel the rest.

The answer is simple: no.

Realistically, If the CTA is impressed with this batch of buses, and decides to carry out the contract options, then there's your answer there.

Idealistically, should the CTA not pick up the buses, they'll more than likely go to a domestic manufacturer, such as Orion or Gillig, and carry out the rest of the options.

Keep in mind, you're going to have at least 75 optimas available next year, with an option of more, so there is no need to look into going back to MAN (although I like the style) for another order.