A couple 2600s were headed to Kimball this morning.

ryanbytes

Man that's a pretty good question but my question is if they are putting 2600's on the Brown Line again why would they do that considering the 3200's that are aready on there arent in any bad shape. I think once the 5000's start coming in only the Brown and Orange lines will be the only lines to not get the 2600 well at least not that many they(the 2600's) would most go to the Green and Purple lines. But thats just my assumption.

The question was that the Brown Line was usually short about 10 to 20 and used 2600s. Maybe this is just reversing some the the 3 track cutbacks.

Since the 5000s are still in test mode, I doubt that they are making room for anything.

They rolled past Montrose at a slow speed. I saw new wheels and shoes at least, I couldn't get to the window in time to see much else. Could transfers be starting to make room for the 5000s on the Red Line?

There were several moves over the weekend. A pair of 3200s was moved from Brown to Orange, six 3200s moved from Yellow to Brown, six 2600s reassigned from Red to Yellow.

Do you know the numbers?

Likely 3301-2 went from Brown to Orange, 3453-8 went from Yellow to Brown and six unknown-numbered 2600s went from Red to Yellow. This meant that for the first time since 1994, there are no 3200s on the Yellow Line.

In an unrelated move, a couple of weekends ago I saw 2400-series cars 2541-2 now on the Green Line. They (along with possibly 2539-40) were transferred from the Purple Line.

Likely 3301-2 went from Brown to Orange, 3453-8 went from Yellow to Brown and six unknown-numbered 2600s went from Red to Yellow. This meant that for the first time since 1994, there are no 3200s on the Yellow Line.

In an unrelated move, a couple of weekends ago I saw 2400-series cars 2541-2 now on the Green Line. They (along with possibly 2539-40) were transferred from the Purple Line.

Correct on the Brown to Orange and the Yellow to Brown moves.

The Yellow line now has 2893-98 -- the same cars that make up the Holiday Train each year.

Correct on the Brown to Orange and the Yellow to Brown moves.

The Yellow line now has 2893-98 -- the same cars that make up the Holiday Train each year.

So these six cars are the ones that have been on long-term hold for well over a year. The CERA anniversary trip last year used 2895-2898.

So these six cars are the ones that have been on long-term hold for well over a year. The CERA anniversary trip last year used 2895-2898.

I don't think they were in long-term hold that long. They get pulled out of regular service to get them ready for the Holiday Train and then are returned to the route after Christmas. I remember being surprised that they were already back in service when I rode in two of the pairs in mid January this year.

I've seen these cars used for other charters - including movies/tv.

I took that pair on the Yellow Line a couple months ago. My friends with me were very much unimpressed by my excitement to finally see the things in person.

Does this mean there may be a schedule change coming soon to the Brown, Orange, and Red Lines? I remember a post late last year when discussing the extra runs on the Brown Line about how the Orange Line uses one less train set (8 cars) during the winter months as opposed to the summer months. Maybe the Red Line will take over the extra Brown Line runs for the summer months again.

Today on the Green Line as we were going northbound passing over the St Charles tracks, there was a two car train sitting on the northbound inner track just before the descent toward the State St subway. I don't remember if it was car 2859 or 2958 that I saw, but I thought it was an odd place for cars to be sitting.

In regard to the swapping, perhaps this was a move to make room for the 5000s on the Red Line for testing. Has anyone seem them out on the Red Line? I looked Mondayto no avail.

I checked the latest assignment sheet (April 5, 2010), and the Green Line now has up to #2543-44.