CTA Bus Rapid Transit (take two)

BusHunter

6 hours ago, Kevin said:

Things seem to be going well so far today. Drivers are generally avoiding the bus lanes, allowing buses to easily pass the congested car lanes.

Destination signs now all include "via Loop Link."

I noticied that the bus signals are indeed now only triggered when there's actually a bus in the lane.

That's what I thought but I think your seeing the glitch I saw earlier this week. Queue signals were going off today without a bus present, it's just sometimes there's no queue signal, i don't know if it could be programmed into the light to skip once every 5 cycles or it's simply a glitch.

I walked the whole loop link again and I saw no #J14's or #124's, I don't know where they went. I saw a crate of glass at Madison/dearborn like it's next but the stop is open. At Lasalle/Madison, they put up a portable chain link fence where they were missing some of the lighted hand rail. I guess it works. Ridership was real light.

2 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

That's what I thought but I think your seeing the glitch I saw earlier this week. Queue signals were going off today without a bus present, it's just sometimes there's no queue signal, i don't know if it could be programmed into the light to skip once every 5 cycles or it's simply a glitch.

Interesting. I was mainly observing Washington/LaSalle and Washington/Dearborn. Signals always activated whenever a bus was present. It's possible they may have been activating when the lane was clear, but I don't recall seeing that whenever I was actively monitoring them. 

2 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I walked the whole loop link again and I saw no #J14's or #124's, I don't know where they went.

They were around. I saw buses for both of those routes.

Tried it out this morning in the rush hour. Washington was nice, stations finished.

Madison - none of the stations have glass in the roof so very wet this morning. One car driver got very confused and blocked the bus lane at Franklin trying to turn right. Taxi drivers ignoring the CTA Bus Only lane markings ...... not convinced it was any faster than last week.

20 minutes ago, busfan2847 said:

Tried it out this morning in the rush hour. Washington was nice, stations finished.

Madison - none of the stations have glass in the roof so very wet this morning. One car driver got very confused and blocked the bus lane at Franklin trying to turn right. Taxi drivers ignoring the CTA Bus Only lane markings ...... not convinced it was any faster than last week.

It's only the first actual weekday for Loop Link. Give it time. There's bound to be a little confusion this early in the game as rveryone gets used to the new lane configurations. And sounds like the mixups of autos being in the lane is what slowed things down.

36 minutes ago, busfan2847 said:

Taxi drivers ignoring the CTA Bus Only lane markings

12 minutes ago, jajuan said:

There's bound to be a little confusion this early in the game as rveryone gets used to the new lane configurations. And sounds like the mixups of autos being in the lane is what slowed things down.

Unless there are 2 cops per block, I don't think there is  anything that can be done about the taxi drivers.

9 minutes ago, jajuan said:

True. Taxi drivers in the city do tend to muck things up everywhere. They were a problem even before Loop Link.

And delivery trucks. There was an unoccupied USPS van blocking the bike lane at Washington/Wells when I was testing it out yesterday.

Streetsblog reported that bike cops were directing cars to move out of the bike lane near Hotel Burnham yesterday. The configuration in that area is a bit disappointing; loading zones for the hotel were maintained along Washington (even though a new one was added on State last fall), so the green bike lane ends suddenly and bikes are forced to merge with right-turning vehicles. 

17 minutes ago, Kevin said:

And delivery trucks. There was an unoccupied USPS van blocking the bike lane at Washington/Wells when I was testing it out yesterday.

Streetsblog reported that bike cops were directing cars to move out of the bike lane near Hotel Burnham yesterday. The configuration in that area is a bit disappointing; loading zones for the hotel were maintained along Washington (even though a new one was added on State last fall), so the green bike lane ends suddenly and bikes are forced to merge with right-turning vehicles. 

That points out onr problem with the Ashland BRT proposal, which Streetsblog supported. Even if sufficient provision was made for through vehicular traffic, I wonder if such was made for loading zones and the like, and even if there were, whether the delivery truckers will obey them. Will have to be like the snow zones, and call out the tow trucks,whether there is snow or not. Will also have to make sure that Uber doesn't pick up at the curb.

Took my first ride on #805 through the loop link and i thought that it was still kind of slow. There were backed up cars blocking the bus lane at Washington/Wells and the bus driver was being really careful not to hit the raised platform. Then at Franklin a #20 was boarding in the middle of the platform and we couldn't even pull up to the station. The supervisor was there and he was trying to coax the #20 to move up, but it was slow in doing so. Then we hit a bunch of buses at Lasalle #J14, the #20 and us and we couldn't fit into the station. My thoughts are they might have too many buses serving this and not a long enough platform.

By contrast my trip on #X49 was delightful, I did Cermak to Addison in 30-40 minutes, not bad. Now if only CTA would bring this concept to more routes we'd really have something good. I noticed some #X49's were np buses going south and i was on the bummer, i think at 6:00PM at Cermak. (There was nothing behind it but locals for 30 minutes.) So any south NP #X49 at pullin time must be switching to #49 and coming back north. I got a kick out of the spanish sign at Cermak and took a shot of it, it said ruta expresa  and another word. Now where's the polish one at Belmont? xD

5678d4340e7d6_cambiodeservicioportrait.t

5678d43d2fbec_cambiodeserviciolandscape.

It says Cambio de Servicio. At least it doesn't say Cambio de Cerveza. Which means something else. :P

Another thing when they said the NB #X49/#49's stop at Blue line O'Hare, they really mean't it. The new stop is under the structure. There is no Milwaukee stop either way.

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Took my first ride on #805 through the loop link and i thought that it was still kind of slow. There were backed up cars blocking the bus lane at Washington/Wells and the bus driver was being really careful not to hit the raised platform. Then at Franklin a #20 was boarding in the middle of the platform and we couldn't even pull up to the station. The supervisor was there and he was trying to coax the #20 to move up, but it was slow in doing so. Then we hit a bunch of buses at Lasalle #J14, the #20 and us and we couldn't fit into the station. My thoughts are they might have too many buses serving this and not a long enough platform.

By contrast my trip on #X49 was delightful, I did Cermak to Addison in 30-40 minutes, not bad. Now if only CTA would bring this concept to more routes we'd really have something good. I noticed some #X49's were np buses going south and i was on the bummer, i think at 6:00PM at Cermak. (There was nothing behind it but locals for 30 minutes.) So any south NP #X49 at pullin time must be switching to #49 and coming back north. I got a kick out of the spanish sign at Cermak and took a shot of it, it said ruta expresa  and another word. Now where's the polish one at Belmont? xD

It says Cambio de Servicio. At least it doesn't say Cambio de Cerveza. Which means something else. :P

Another thing when they said the NB #X49/#49's stop at Blue line O'Hare, they really mean't it. The new stop is under the structure. There is no Milwaukee stop either way.

I was on the X49 earlier today as well, and I see the at the Brown Line they moved the NB bus stop from SE corner of Leland to under the train bridge and in front of the station entrance.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

I was on the X49 earlier today as well, and I see the at the Brown Line they moved the NB bus stop from SE corner of Leland to under the train bridge and in front of the station entrance.

You would think that would conflict with the terminal. How does the #49b pull out?

26 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

You would think that would conflict with the terminal. How does the #49b pull out?

Its not like the bus stop is right in front of the driveway of the bus terminal. I mean unless a few #49 buses were lined up to discharge passengers. But then again the 49B would have to wait if there was car traffic.

One thing that hit me after someone on the CTA Tattler incorrectly implied that 124 was the only bus to Union Station (60 and 157 also are) is that 124 was extended to Union Station, instead of just running to Ogilvie Station. Maybe that's why it is called only "Navy Pier" now.

4 minutes ago, Busjack said:

One thing that hit me after someone on the CTA Tattler incorrectly implied that 124 was the only bus to Union Station (60 and 157 also are) is that 124 was extended to Union Station, instead of just running to Ogilvie Station. Maybe that's why it is called only "Navy Pier" now.

The 124 has always run to Union Station. Always has been Madison, Clinton, Jackson, Canal, Washington near the stations.

13 minutes ago, busfan2847 said:

The 124 has always run to Union Station. Always has been Madison, Clinton, Jackson, Canal, Washington near the stations.

Not originally, It was Ogilvie Station/Navy Pier. 157 was the Union/Ogilvie route. Was severed from 56 to Navy Pier.

22 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Not originally, It was Ogilvie Station/Navy Pier. 157 was the Union/Ogilvie route. Was severed from 56 to Navy Pier.

No sorry you are wrong. The service started weekends and holidays only on 5/26/2000 as 124 Navy Pier Express (the 56 was still running to Navy Pier at that time).

From the cta website:

"05/24/00

Additional CTA service to Navy Pier will be provided on weekends and holidays, starting Friday, May 26, on #124 Navy Pier Express buses from Union Station and the Ogilvie Transportation Center (North Western Station).

Buses on the #124 Navy Pier Express route begin their trips from Union Station northbound on Canal at Adams. They then stop on Canal for Ogilvie Center at both Madison and Washington before running express to Navy Pier. #124 buses will run every 15 minutes, starting from Union Station at 6:30 p.m. on Fridays, and at 10 a.m. on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. The last bus will leave Navy Pier for return trips to the stations at midnight each night."

124 was revised and rerouted 6/22/2003 to replace 56 from Michigan to Navy Pier and altered to run 9am to midnight every day. New route via Canal/Clinton, Washington/Madison, Michigan, South Water, Columbus, Illinois/Grand stopping at all stops.  Renamed Navy Pier 12/7/2003.

From cta website:

"6/20/03

Service improvements on eight bus routes will become effective Sunday, June 22......... An experimental 180-day service modification will provide new routing and daily service to Navy Pier on the #124 Navy Pier Express route, replacing service east of Michigan on the #56 Milwaukee route which will no longer travel to Navy Pier. #124 buses currently operate nonstop to Navy Pier from Union Station and the Ogilvie Transportation Center for special events and on summer weekends. #124 buses will now serve Navy Pier from 9 a.m. until 10 p.m. daily (midnight during summer), operating north on Canal from Adams, east through downtown on Washington to Michigan and then via Michigan, South Water, Columbus and Illinois to Navy Pier. Return trips will use Grand, Columbus, South Water, Michigan, Madison and Clinton to Jackson.

#56 buses will end trips east on Washington at Michigan before returning west on Madison. CTA surveys indicate that very few #56 customers travel to Navy Pier from the Northwest Side. Most customers with destinations east of Michigan start their trips at the Ogilvie Transportation Center or at stops farther east, which #124 buses will now serve. #56 customers traveling to Navy Pier can transfer to #66 Chicago, #65 Grand or #124 buses to complete their trips."

6 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Streetsblog is covering some of the early issues with Loop Link, particularly the comically slow speeds that buses are being restricted to (I have video of a bus going even slower than the J14 in John's video). Apparently CTA is concerned about rearview mirrors taking out people standing too close to the platform edge.

Note their usual bias that if this does not work, it will sink the Ashland BRT. I'm sure the consensus among our contributors is that the Ashland BRT is dead.

Actually, this is a new problem relating to the open platform design; I mentioned off board fare collection before. I don't see how CTA can figure that people will figure out not to stand on the tactile strip. Only solution is to install Disney World monorail gates over the boarding area.

And as for Tammy Chase saying that the speed limit is 30, sure a bus can clear the platform, get up to 30, and then back to a crawl in 1/4 mile. Maybe the bus signal is like the "Christmas Tree" at the dragstrip.

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

Yes it was what replaced #56 service to Navy Pier. However busfan is correct it always served Union Station. One thing I'll add to his explanation is that some point early on before being routed Washington EB and Madison WB, part of its Navy Pier express days started off actually as special weekend service of the #121. That's where its serving Union Station comes from. In those days, it was numbered #121 Navy Pier Express, but along the way it got its own separate route number as 124.

On 12/22/2015 at 10:27 PM, BusHunter said:

At Belmont, you're probably going to see more Spanish signs because on X9 the extra notice on bus stop signs are in Spanish. xD

I must have been asleep at the wheel. I just noticed they are working on the Madison/Wabash Loop Link. (unless I'm seeing things, I hope not!! o.O) So what the hell, weren't they supposed to work on this in the spring? They have a canopy up and it doesn't look too far behind Madison/Dearborn. So that leads me up to my next question. How does the #20 or #56 lay over in the middle of a loop link lane? They can't just sit there.

16 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

During Rush Hours The 20 Layover Is At The Illinois center.  Otherwise both routes can layover on Washington just west of Michigan, or one route can layover on Washington and the other on Madison just west of Michigan. 

Not in the bus lane, unless the Jeffery Jump can really jump. Also, not in the bike lane, or Rahm will plotz.

Actually I think Art may be correct. If we take a look at the map again, it shows that the Loop Link lane on Washington stops just east of the intersection at Wabash and begins just east of what will be the Wabash station on Madison. As a matter of fact it looks to begin at what looks to be the alley between Wabash and Michigan. Based on that #20 and #56 can layoyer on either Washington or Wabash and technically not block a Loop Link bus lane. It would just have to be more near the alley in each case to be on the safe side.

I was down at Madison/Michigan and yes, there is a layover lane. You know how the station sits out in the street and there's no first lane. Well that first lane is the layover spot from Michigan to the first alley west of Michigan on Madison. The loop link buses still have there own lane which is in the position of the 2nd lane. 3rd and 4th are car traffic lanes. So that's how that works.