CTA Bus Rapid Transit (take two)

BusHunter

So this happens in the middle of downtown, no police respond or even see this guy? o.O Can't say this has ever happened to me and I've been on 1000's of buses. Someone should tell the guy if he hoofs it, he might beat the bus to Ogilvie. Loop Link is so slow!! :P Also maybe he is a fan of the movie Speed. xD

3 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

So this happens in the middle of downtown, no police respond or even see this guy? o.O 

Police arrived within two minutes of him kicking/punching the glass, but he had already walked away westbound on Washington.

10 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

... Someone should tell the guy if he hoofs it, he might beat the bus to Ogilvie. Loop Link is so slow!! :P Also maybe he is a fan of the movie Speed. xD

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Police arrived within two minutes of him kicking/punching the glass, but he had already walked away westbound on Washington.

More than likely got on the next bus, making the punchout futile, but providing another job for the security cams. Maybe we'll see his mug on the 5:00 p.m. news.

58 minutes ago, Busjack said:

More than likely got on the next bus, making the punchout futile, but providing another job for the security cams. Maybe we'll see his mug on the 5:00 p.m. news.

And it WOULD be a Jump bus. Way to already add to the stereotype of violent blacks

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

And it WOULD be a Jump bus. Way to already add to the stereotype of violent blacks

You seem to be making an assumption based on the probable demographics of J14 riders. If you know for a fact that this guy was black, please post how you know that. Unless you were there or have seen a photo of him, you're not helping your cause by making this statement.

16 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

You seem to be making an assumption based on the probable demographics of J14 riders. If you know for a fact that this guy was black, please post how you know that. Unless you were there or have seen a photo of him, you're not helping your cause by making this statement.

True. A bit rash on my part but i was really alluding to the whole "black people tear up everything stereotype" and that if the guy is indeed black friggin kills me that this is definately gonna make us look bad

I guess no one told Kedzie operators that Loop Link is slow because I have always managed to get through the corridor on a 157 without the said bus crawling at a snail's pace. I observe #60 buses getting through just as easily.

On 3/9/2016 at 9:53 PM, garmon757 said:

Don't she sound sexy or CTA is feeling some kind of way??? :P

https://www.dropbox.com/s/31emr91g0b0hy6s/2016-03-08%2021.42.50.mov?dl=0

You know companies actually screen voices and present the most friendly ones, sort of like an audition. It depends too on what the company wants. That may be why we got the country girl one, They say country people are friendly but the MR CTA one might actually be screened as more authoritative because they want you to pay attention to what stop is approaching. This works also with the pace buses saying please move away from the doors. If it was a friendly girl you might not listen as fast as a stern voice. They say at the department stores, if they play cheerful music, like Christmas music at Christmas time people will spend more of their money, because happy people spend money. If they played heavy metal or rap or hip hop they could insight aggression and they don't want people tearing up there stores. But in a market where the clientele is spanish like Delray Farms spanish music works. I suppose hip hop could be played in an african american market. It all depends on what demographic they want.

On 3/9/2016 at 9:53 PM, garmon757 said:

Don't she sound sexy or CTA is feeling some kind of way??? :P

https://www.dropbox.com/s/31emr91g0b0hy6s/2016-03-08%2021.42.50.mov?dl=0

What's surprising to me is that somehow they combined voice synthesis with BusTracker, and she had enough sense not to say "Route 20 to Madison (and State?) in 2 minutes, Route 56 to Madison (and State?) in 5 minutes, Route 157 to Madison (and State?) in 12 minutes..." like the dumb signs at Harlem and Rosemont. However, I'm also surprised that she didn't say Route 20 to Madison and Austin, instead of just Route 20 to Austin.

On 3/11/2016 at 11:16 PM, BusHunter said:

You know companies actually screen voices and present the most friendly ones, sort of like an audition. It depends too on what the company wants. That may be why we got the country girl one, They say country people are friendly but the MR CTA one might actually be screened as more authoritative because they want you to pay attention to what stop is approaching. This works also with the pace buses saying please move away from the doors. If it was a friendly girl you might not listen as fast as a stern voice. They say at the department stores, if they play cheerful music, like Christmas music at Christmas time people will spend more of their money, because happy people spend money. If they played heavy metal or rap or hip hop they could insight aggression and they don't want people tearing up there stores. But in a market where the clientele is spanish like Delray Farms spanish music works. I suppose hip hop could be played in an african american market. It all depends on what demographic they want.

Not all African American folks like hip hop my friend. 9_9

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Not all people like elevator music either, but if they please the masses that's all they want to do.

You missed my point. They're not going to play up stereotypes either if they can help it. And playing up hip hop just because the customers targeted are African American is one such stereotype.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 11:56 PM, BusHunter said:

Hey Hey, they are finally finished with loop link. All the stations are now complete and working. I took this photo of the union station bus terminal. I guess I'll focus on this now.

cta bus terminal union station 3-24-16.PNG

Has there been any update on how it's going now?

• 4 weeks later...

Here is an update on this project. They have now concreted the bays and possibly the sidewalk (couldn't really see it good) they also have installed the lights and turned them on. Maybe soon we might actually have a new terminal.

(hint hint, if you look through the silhouette of the privacy curtains you can see the concrete platforms and stuff. It's not totally complete, kind of a wip still.)

front of the terminal right side 5-15-16.PNG

front of the terminal5-15-16.PNG

front of terminal dead on 5-15-16.PNG

A corner shot

corner shot of new terminal 5-15-16.PNG

Lights are now working

new terminal let there be light 2 5-15-16.PNG

A closeup of the lights

new terminal let there be light 5-15-16.PNG

a look from the loop side (east side)

new termina;l east corner 5-15-16.PNG

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2016 at 11:39 PM, BusHunter said:

They're still working on the terminal over here. They are putting the finishing touches on the roof, hopefully they can open this soon.

union station west 6-21-16.PNG

union station roof closeup 6-21-16.PNG

union station east 6-21-16.PNG

union station looking west 6-21-16.PNG

So has the transit center been completed yet? I haven't had a chance to ride through that part of downtown in recent weeks.