Ideas for six new CTA bus routes

ajcalcote

If the Red line does get extended, it definitely makes sense to keep the 34, since that bus will stop at points where the Red line won't stop, just like the 29 State continues to operate alongside the Red line because it stops where the Red Line doesn't.

Same thing with 62-Archer where the Orange Line doesn't stop plus runs overnight to Midway, 56-Milwaukee where Blue Line (O Hare branch) doesn't stop at, and 20-Madison where Green Line doesn't stop at, plus runs overnight to Harlem/ Lake.

• 2 years later...

I Live Around The Rogers Park Area On Pratt By Ridge, And I Work Around Central And Caldwell. It's Tough Getting There By Taking The Red Line To Bryn Mawr To Get The #84 bus. I Think A Pratt Bus Is A Good Idea, Runs From The Morse Station To Central/Caldwell. For Those Who Says It Can't Continue West Of Kedzie Because Of The N.S. Chanel, It Actually Does. On The Other Side Of The Chanel, If You Drive Down South On Kedzie, To Devon, & North On McCormick or North On Kedzie, To Touhy, & South On McCormick, The Street Of Pratt Does Continues West Of McCormick, All the Way Down To Central, And The Bus Can Continue Down South To Caldwell. Simple. I Also Think It Should Serve Lincolnwood Town Center From 9:30 to 9:00 via Kedzie, Touhy, The Town Center And McCormick. And During Other Times, It Can Run Down via Kedzie, Devon, & Touhy. So Please Take This Into Consideration With The CTA So Maybe We Can Get A Pratt Bus Soon. Thanks.

I Live Around The Rogers Park Area On Pratt By Ridge, And I Work Around Central And Caldwell. It's Tough Getting There By Taking The Red Line To Bryn Mawr To Get The #84 bus. I Think A Pratt Bus Is A Good Idea, Runs From The Morse Station To Central/Caldwell. For Those Who Says It Can't Continue West Of Kedzie Because Of The N.S. Chanel, It Actually Does. On The Other Side Of The Chanel, If You Drive Down South On Kedzie, To Devon, & North On McCormick or North On Kedzie, To Touhy, & South On McCormick, The Street Of Pratt Does Continues West Of McCormick, All the Way Down To Central, And The Bus Can Continue Down South To Caldwell. Simple. I Also Think It Should Serve Lincolnwood Town Center From 9:30 to 9:00 via Kedzie, Touhy, The Town Center And McCormick. And During Other Times, It Can Run Down via Kedzie, Devon, & Touhy. So Please Take This Into Consideration With The CTA So Maybe We Can Get A Pratt Bus Soon. Thanks.

Do you have a source of money for it?

IMO, the Lunt bus should be cut, based on Pace 290 being within a couple of blocks of it. If you want to go to Central, take 290, and then either 85N or 226.

And What's the Deal with the Initial Caps? Or the belief that anyone at the CTA planning department reads this?

Do you have a source of money for it?

IMO, the Lunt bus should be cut, based on Pace 290 being within a couple of blocks of it. If you want to go to Central, take 290, and then either 85N or 226.

And What's the Deal with the Initial Caps? Or the belief that anyone at the CTA planning department reads this?

I agree with Busjack.

i don't remember actually when there was a 155a route that went from Kedzie to Milwaukee. That didn't have ridership on the route.

I agree with Busjack.

i don't remember actually when there was a 155a route that went from Kedzie to Milwaukee. That didn't have ridership on the route.

Strangely, Bill V. has the history under 54A, which says that 155A was discontinued in 1981. IIRC, it was only a substitute for 14 Devon-Cicero when 54A was rerouted to Old Orchard, and did not go to Milwaukee.

Reinstating it to Milwaukee got thrown around here in connection with the proposal for the 155A Superdawg Feeder.

Strangely, Bill V. has the history under 54A, which says that 155A was discontinued in 1981. IIRC, it was only a substitute for 14 Devon-Cicero when 54A was rerouted to Old Orchard, and did not go to Milwaukee.

Reinstating it to Milwaukee got thrown around here in connection with the proposal for the 155A Superdawg Feeder.

I hate to disagree with Bill. But 155a went to Milwaukee/Imlay.

There is no terminal at Cicero/Devon.

At the moment i can't find anything in history of 155A in Google.

i found a 11/15/53 - begin #155A-Devon/Pratt bus.But,no detail about the route.

01/15/54 - discontinued #155A buses

I hate to disagree with Bill. But 155a went to Milwaukee/Imlay.

There is no terminal at Cicero/Devon.

At the moment i can't find anything in history of 155A in Google.

i found a 11/15/53 - begin #155A-Devon/Pratt bus.But,no detail about the route.

01/15/54 - discontinued #155A buses

The history I have for the two uses of 155A are:-

(155A Devon-Pratt)

New cta experimental route 11/15/53, DISCONTINUED 1/15/54

From Kedzie via Devon, Lincoln and Pratt to Central service not successful and soon withdrawn.

Bus Garage: North Park

(155A West Devon)

New cta bus 6/11/79, DISCONTINUED 9/13/81

Providing service on Devon from Kedzie to Imlay replacing 14.

Bus Garage: Forest Glen

The history I have for 54A is;-

54A North Cicero

New CSL Bus 3/24/47

Feeder bus from Montrose to Petterson. Late Su eve w 5/11/52. Renumbered 14 Devon/Cicero from 3/4/57 and extended north to Devon and east to Kedzie, Su and late evening service withdrawn. Some alternate buses routed from Kedzie via Devon and Central to Caldwell from 12/4/61 but these were withdrawn from 2/22/64. 2/70 extended to Montrose “L” but reverted back 3/70 as loop was inoperable. Saturday service withdrawn 9/7/76 and evening service withdrawn 12/76. From 6/11/79 14 was restructured into 54A and 155A West Devon, with 54A extended to Old Orchard Mall and Irving Park daytime M-S, RH service only south to Cicero/Montrose. Saturday service w 9/13/81. Saturday service reinstated 12/5/87 and extended to Irving Park L station. From 1/24/88 weekday service extended from Cicero via Irving Park to the L station matching the restored S service. Saturday service w 2/2/92 and replaced by Pace 254. Reduced to RH only 12/28/97.

Bus Garage: Lawrence (3/24/47-5/30/54), North Park (5/30/54-12/4/55), Forest Glen (12/4/55-present)

From this it appears that the main 14 service only ran on Devon from Cicero to Kedzie. From 1961 alternative buses turned west on Devon to Central/Caldwell and when the second 155A was started it took over both branches on Devon and extended them west to Imlay.

From this it appears that the main 14 service only ran on Devon from Cicero to Kedzie. From 1961 alternative buses turned west on Devon to Central/Caldwell and when the second 155A was started it took over both branches on Devon and extended them west to Imlay.

Looking at the maps on chicago-l.org, the 1975 confirms my understanding at the time that 14 was only Devon-Cicero.

The 1981 one still has that 155A was to Milwaukee, of which I was not previously aware.

When you look at Devon in CTA Territory . There is nothing west of Kedzie to attract riders.Why does 56A even go to Devon/Harlem doesn't make any sense.When yo all ready have 88 and 90N going the there.

I had agreed in the Superdawg thread, essentially because it is mostly forest preserve between Edgebrook and Milwaukee.

In any event, 56A and 90N are getting killed.

Looking at the maps on chicago-l.org, the 1975 confirms my understanding at the time that 14 was only Devon-Cicero.

The 1981 one still has that 155A was to Milwaukee, of which I was not previously aware.

That is correct the westward branch on Devon was withdrawn in 1964. By 1975 the 14 ran only east on Devon from Cicero to Kedzie. The second 155A replaced the 14 service on Devon but was also extended westward from Cicero to Milwaukee/Imlay resurrecting the service operted from 1961 to 1964.

I have some suggestions for the proposed routes.

61 No Kedzie: CTA would'nt consider putting this route into service because the route would be within a few blocks of the #82 Kimball/Homan. I understand that on the west side the #52 Kedzie/California and the #82 are within less of a half mile of each other, but those routes have been long established, and any new route the CTA places into service would have to have more separation than just four blocks which is the distance between Kimball and Kedzie. On the other hand the distance between Kedzie and California Ave is 8 city blocks a half mile apart. The #61 would take riders away from the #82 from Grand Avenue through the end of the route which is the Kimball Brown Line. The #61 would provide convenience for those who live between Kedzie and California avenues. CTA also looks for traffic generators for routes, and all you got are the Metra Station and the Brown Line. Metra Stations are not big generator usually and you need more than just an "L" stop to make it viable. I would extend the route to Northeastern Illinois Univ at Bryn Mawr perhaps, and you'd have a generator for the route connecting NEIU to the Brown Line at Kedzie. But as other posters have said, there have been service north on Kedzie and it wasn't well supported. Also the schedule if it run would likely be AM rush through PM rush at best with no weekends. Most likely if ever implemented, it would run peak periods as a relief for #82.

I agree with you that it won't return to service, for the reasons you stated. BTW, I have a vague memory of that route when that used to be in service LOOOOONG ago(we're talking back in the early/mid 90s here, and it may've been(or not) one of the casualties of the Booz/Allen/Hamilton service cuts implemented starting in 1995), and it was numbered as #89 whenever that route was last in service. IIRC, it ran between somewhere around Foster(don't remember the street it ended at on the north, and maybe it ran up to the bus turnaround southeast of Lincoln/Jersey before CTA sold that land?), south to the Logan Square Blue Line bus turnaround.

BTW(though off topic), has there been any serious discussion in the CTA for bus service to be resurrected on Clybourn and/or Elston? I've always thought bus service should be resurrected on both those streets, and at the bare minimum the #41 Elston/Clybourn bus should get a weekday AM to PM daytime bus service experiment, a la the #35 bus' 6 month experiment on west 31st St that just started. If 31st St. can finally get bus service again(though just for now as a temporary experiment, why not also test a resurrection of #41 service?

I agree with you that it won't return to service, for the reasons you stated. BTW, I have a vague memory of that route when that used to be in service LOOOOONG ago(we're talking back in the early/mid 90s here, and it may've been(or not) one of the casualties of the Booz/Allen/Hamilton service cuts implemented starting in 1995), and it was numbered as #89 whenever that route was last in service. IIRC, it ran between somewhere around Foster(don't remember the street it ended at on the north, and maybe it ran up to the bus turnaround southeast of Lincoln/Jersey before CTA sold that land?), south to the Logan Square Blue Line bus turnaround.

BTW(though off topic), has there been any serious discussion in the CTA for bus service to be resurrected on Clybourn and/or Elston? I've always thought bus service should be resurrected on both those streets, and at the bare minimum the #41 Elston/Clybourn bus should get a weekday AM to PM daytime bus service experiment, a la the #35 bus' 6 month experiment on west 31st St that just started. If 31st St. can finally get bus service again(though just for now as a temporary experiment, why not also test a resurrection of #41 service?

I can only see service being resurrected on Clybourn, and one of the representatives at the Decrowding hearing told me that the service may only operate between Belmont Blue Line Station and Division/Clark (maybe at Dearborn/Walton where #70 Division terminates).

The RTAMS site has Clybourn listed on its JARC page. However, that goes back to 2008, and apparently like everything else except the partial implementation on 31st, apparently that is on the junk heap of CTA not being able to furnish the 50% local match.

As we previously noted, that application was only south of Logan Square, so definitely nothing for Elston itself.

• 2 weeks later...

I can only see service being resurrected on Clybourn, and one of the representatives at the Decrowding hearing told me that the service may only operate between Belmont Blue Line Station and Division/Clark (maybe at Dearborn/Walton where #70 Division terminates).

Interesting, and that's a shame to hear. I wouldn't mind at least seeing a resurrected #41 route(if it was brought back for Clybourn Ave. weekday service) also at least have service on Elston Ave. up to the Devon/Milwaukee turnaround, like was the case before the #41 was eliminated for good in the 90s.

I really wanted to make one of those decrowding hearings, but unfortunately I couldn't make it to any of them. Also ****ed up, in forgetting to email Greg Longhini in encouraging him to have the #91 Austin bus cover the portion of Devon Ave west between Milwaukee and Avondale at least during rush hour, if the #56A is eliminated(and which I didn't have a prob seeing eliminated IMO, since I can only recall a handful of times catching a #56A instead of a #270 Pace bus). Still the #56A elimination won't hurt me too badly(including the rush hour portion on Devon west to Avondale), since I can still take the #68 NW Hwy bus to this area.

The RTAMS site has Clybourn listed on its JARC page. However, that goes back to 2008, and apparently like everything else except the partial implementation on 31st, apparently that is on the junk heap of CTA not being able to furnish the 50% local match.

As we previously noted, that application was only south of Logan Square, so definitely nothing for Elston itself.

I didn't realize the JARC site had bus service recommendations listed. I'll check their list of recommendations out then, and thanks for mentioning this page here.

I really wanted to make one of those decrowding hearings, but unfortunately I couldn't make it to any of them.

There was only one of them, and as became manifestly evident a week later, anything anyone said made no difference.

I didn't realize the JARC site had bus service recommendations listed.

Those aren't service recommendations. They are federal grants that went through the planning process, but as most of the entries note, CTA did not come up with the matching funds.

Interesting, and that's a shame to hear. I wouldn't mind at least seeing a resurrected #41 route(if it was brought back for Clybourn Ave. weekday service) also at least have service on Elston Ave. up to the Devon/Milwaukee turnaround, like was the case before the #41 was eliminated for good in the 90s.

I really wanted to make one of those decrowding hearings, but unfortunately I couldn't make it to any of them. Also ****ed up, in forgetting to email Greg Longhini in encouraging him to have the #91 Austin bus cover the portion of Devon Ave west between Milwaukee and Avondale at least during rush hour, if the #56A is eliminated(and which I didn't have a prob seeing eliminated IMO, since I can only recall a handful of times catching a #56A instead of a #270 Pace bus). Still the #56A elimination won't hurt me too badly(including the rush hour portion on Devon west to Avondale), since I can still take the #68 NW Hwy bus to this area.

The problem with the #41 is that it doesn't serve rapid transit, while it would be possible to see service resurrected from Logan Square or Belmont to the loop or North/Clybourn, it really needs to link to rapid transit to have a chance at success. As far as the Avondale and Devon area, probably the #88 is going to receive at least half of the affected #90N customers, maybe they need to look into reversing the #88 clockwise circle to benefit those leaving/entering the Blue line based on the peak rush direction, like the #69 does now, but it all depends on if they anticipate more Resurrection hospital/school riders or #90N ones. (but actually that would benefit them in the AM/PM as well)

The problem with the #41 is that it doesn't serve rapid transit, while it would be possible to see service resurrected from Logan Square or Belmont to the loop or North/Clybourn, it really needs to link to rapid transit to have a chance at success. As far as the Avondale and Devon area, probably the #88 is going to receive at least half of the affected #90N customers, maybe they need to look into reversing the #88 clockwise circle to benefit those leaving/entering the Blue line based on the peak rush direction, like the #69 does now, but it all depends on if they anticipate more Resurrection hospital/school riders or #90N ones. (but actually that would benefit them in the AM/PM as well)

Speaking of the 88, didn't the direction around the looped routing north of the Harlem station used to flip at one point depending on the time of day similar to the 69?

Guest ctafan630

Speaking of the 88, didn't the direction around the looped routing north of the Harlem station used to flip at one point depending on the time of day similar to the 69?

From what I remember the 88 did go clockwise in the AM and counter clockwise in the PM