New CTA Corgi Diecast

mikeymc77

34 minutes ago, geneking7320 said:

When I lived in Chatham (up until September 1978) I used to hear about a route 83 bus. To my knowledge CTA never created the route [not withstanding the 83rd-93rd-95th (route 95)]. Looking at bus #7747 I must ask which garage used symbol "E"?

According to Bill V. He says it's Beverly.

http://www.chicagorailfan.com/rte08089.html

I don't know what Beverly's code was. Thought it would be "B" I wonder what 52nd's was.

27 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

According to Bill V. He says it's Beverly.

http://www.chicagorailfan.com/rte08089.html

I don't know what Beverly's code was. Thought it would be "B" I wonder what 52nd's was.

Beverly was B. 52nd was 5.

I had a 77th roll sign with 83 taped in, but at that time it wasn't in use. What's suspicious in the pictures is that most buses have the 1973 style of signs (Route name but all caps), but by then the spliceds were in Helvetica. Mel would have to speak to that, but most of the shots seem posed, not in service.

Update: You should note that while the run boxes have 4 rolls, none of them has 4 symbols. This might have been before when garage codes were displayed.

11 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

When I lived in Chatham (up until September 1978) I used to hear about a route 83 bus. To my knowledge CTA never created the route [not withstanding the 83rd-93rd-95th (route 95)]. Looking at bus #7747 I must ask which garage used symbol "E"?

From what I remember reading on the Chicago Railfan page and other sources the #95E to 83rd was in fact CTA accommodating riders after cutting what was indeed an 83rd street bus route that ran through that area some decades ago.

Here is the story with 83rd: Around 1975 CTA was kicking around the idea of separating 83rd from 95th and having a separate 83rd bus from 79th/Perry via 79th-South Chicago-83rd-Buffalo-87th-Burley to a loop via 91st-Commercial-92nd-Buffalo, with 95 being cut back to 92/Buffalo (which eventually did happen). Signs were indeed put in all of 77th buses, but that was as far as it got. There was a huge argument among various "interested parties" as to whether the bus should run via 79th and South Chicago (as the CTA wanted) or via State/Lafayette-83rd-Anthony-Jeffery-83rd as some of the local political worthies demanded, while others vociferously fought this idea saying the street was too narrow. So faced with the not-so-far-in-the-past 71st/Yates debacle, CTA just gave up and decided to leave thing unchanged.

As for the garage codes, the original plan about 1973 was a bit different than what eventually emerged:

A - Archer

B - Beverly

C - 52nd

D - 69th

E - 77th

F - Forest Glen

G - North Park

H - Limits

J - North Av

K - Kedzie

Before many buses got stickered, the plan was changed to closely resemble the garage name:

A - Archer

B - Beverly

F - Forest Glen

K - Kedzie

L - Limits

N - North Av

P - North Park

5 - 52nd

6 - 69th

7 - 77th

15 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Here is the story with 83rd: Around 1975 CTA was kicking around the idea of separating 83rd from 95th and having a separate 83rd bus from 79th/Perry via 79th-South Chicago-83rd-Buffalo-87th-Burley to a loop via 91st-Commercial-92nd-Buffalo, with 95 being cut back to 92/Buffalo (which eventually did happen). Signs were indeed put in all of 77th buses, but that was as far as it got. There was a huge argument among various "interested parties" as to whether the bus should run via 79th and South Chicago (as the CTA wanted) or via State/Lafayette-83rd-Anthony-Jeffery-83rd as some of the local political worthies demanded, while others vociferously fought this idea saying the street was too narrow. So faced with the not-so-far-in-the-past 71st/Yates debacle, CTA just gave up and decided to leave thing unchanged.

As for the garage codes, the original plan about 1973 was a bit different than what eventually emerged:

A - Archer

B - Beverly

C - 52nd

D - 69th

E - 77th

F - Forest Glen

G - North Park

H - Limits

J - North Av

K - Kedzie

Before many buses got stickered, the plan was changed to closely resemble the garage name:

A - Archer

B - Beverly

F - Forest Glen

K - Kedzie

L - Limits

N - North Av

P - North Park

5 - 52nd

6 - 69th

7 - 77th

5 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

Thanks for the update Andre!

Also since Jajuan mentions it I think I faintly recall an 83rd street bus operating east of 83rd/South Chicago/Jeffery.

I used to live in the 8200 block of St. Lawrence so I looked forward to a bus on 83rd which would connect to the Ryan rapid (back in the day). :)

Well Andre Bill V.'s site mention's that up until fall 1963 there was a CTA route #83 83rd bus route, first introduced by Calumet & South Chicago Railway on 9/18/39, that operated between South Chicago/83rd and the Lakefront. His info says on 9/08/63 it was combined with CTA route #95 to become #95 83rd/93rd/95th which we all know eventually became #95E 93rd/95th. Of course the 95E was cut back to its present form on 12/28/97 when the 83rd portion of the route was eliminated as part of the 1997-1998 Booz-Allen cuts.