Strange LED Destination sign on Nova

BusHunter

Don't know how new this is but bus #6518 has an amber LED destination sign now like the #6709 - #6883 group. It previously had the older green sign. What's kind of strange about the bus is that both the side and front destinations are white LED's or an extremely bleached out amber. It doesn't have anything to do with a Nova rehab, because the bus hasn't been rehabbed. It just seems like a retrofit of some kind. Both the run box sign and rear destination are regular amber LED's.

Don't know how new this is but bus #6518 has an amber LED destination sign now like the #6709 - #6883 group. It previously had the older green sign. What's kind of strange about the bus is that both the side and front destinations are white LED's or an extremely bleached out amber. It doesn't have anything to do with a Nova rehab, because the bus hasn't been rehabbed. It just seems like a retrofit of some kind. Both the run box sign and rear destination are regular amber LED's.

Do you or anyone knows how many Nova's has been rehabbed so far? As for #6518, I thought that #6515 was the only one in a 6500 group with a LED sign.

Ah ah ah!!! The bus operator is on a cell phone!! Thats a No!! No!! at CTA. :)

Of course, the bus communication system could be out and he could be contacting the Control Center on his personal cell. :-) That's not a no-no since the bus is clearly stopped in the terminal at Navy Pier and isn't moving.

BusHunter, is this the type of LED sign you were referring to?

Ah ah ah!!! The bus operator is on a cell phone!! Thats a No!! No!! at CTA. :)

I don't know if it was just CTAs policy for that cell phone thing. But I remember rode a Pace bus #379, and some driver was talking on his cell phone while in motion with nearly bunch of passengers on the bus.

Of course, the bus communication system could be out and he could be contacting the Control Center on his personal cell. :-) That's not a no-no since the bus is clearly stopped in the terminal at Navy Pier and isn't moving.

BusHunter, is this the type of LED sign you were referring to?

If you look at the picture posted here of #6515, see how the number part of the sign is like a whiteish LED. The color of the entire sign is like that. But the overall size of the lettering of the sign is the same as all post #6709 buses or the same as the word "state" on the sign pictured. Just imagine a #6709 sign but white like the number sign here and you have what I mean. BTW, I should have mentioned yesterday, looking at the interior of the side destination sign, you know how the green signs have a bigger sized box on the inside of the bus than the LED version. This bus still has that bigger sized box, but it looks like an LED sign is attached somehow to the outside of the interior box. It's really weird. It appears to be shining through the original boxes framing. You would have to see the bus itself, it runs out of 77th, to see what I'm talking about. It's not that hard to spot thanks to Bustracker. Speaking of #6515, IIRC, when that bus was brought up by FG temporarily a few years ago I thought I remember this sign being removed and replaced with the green one. So #6515 no longer carries that sign I believe, but I probably need to see the bus again to confirm it.

I may not be of much help, but I saw 6518 a week or two ago on the 29 State. I didn't have a camera, nor do I carry a cell phone with decent picture-taking quality. If you take a look at the signage of any Amber-lit sign Nova, the sign on 6518 is the exact same, except the color is white, similar to the hue of the LED lights inside many of the New Flyers.

I may not be of much help, but I saw 6518 a week or two ago on the 29 State. I didn't have a camera, nor do I carry a cell phone with decent picture-taking quality. If you take a look at the signage of any Amber-lit sign Nova, the sign on 6518 is the exact same, except the color is white, similar to the hue of the LED lights inside many of the New Flyers.

I saw 6518 today on 87th. It is white amber and I thought it was really cool. I hate I couldn't get a pic either.

I saw 6518 today on 87th. It is white amber and I thought it was really cool. I hate I couldn't get a pic either.

I finally caught #6518 on #4 Cottage Grove yesterday (Sunday Afternoon) and got few shots of it, I'll post them tonight. I'm assuming that the bus was a regionally from Archer before the Febuary Cutbacks.

Here is the #6518 with "White" destination sign I've spotted this past sunday on Cottage Grove just south of Oakwood Blvd(39th)

Yup, that's it. It seems like when I saw it on Saturday, it looked all white. Then again I was looking at it from a fair distance. On this pic, you can see a very very faint orange/amber lighting on it. Guess you really gotta get up close to see it.

Actually, the operator is supposed to LEAVE the seat so that customers do not call in and say the driver is on the phone without necessarily indicating that the bus is not moving.

So yeah, it kinda is....

• 6 years later...