CTA Rail Service Alerts

sw4400

11/9/13 12:08p

Upcoming Alert For 11/10/13 @ 5a until 7p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Brown

Level Of Service Interruption: Minor Delays

Information: Trains in both directions will operate on the same track between Sedgwick and Fullerton.

• 5a until 11:30a: Board/Exit all trains on the Loop-bound platform at the Armitage station.
  • 11:30a until 7p: Board/Exit all trains on the Kimball-bound platform at the Armitage station.

This is due to structural improvements to remove slow zones and improve rail service on the Brown Line as part of the Ravenswood Connector Rehabilitation Project.

11/9/13 12:15p

Upcoming Alert For 11/10/13 @ 7a until 7p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Purple

Information: Trains in both directions will operate on the same track between Noyes and Linden. Board/Exit all trains on the Howard-bound side of the platform at the Central station.

This is due to track maintenance to ensure that trains continue to operate safely on the Purple Line.

Missed the Pink Line alert this morning, but I was running on two hours' sleep in the last 24 hours. Anyhow, car vs. train, you would think that the trains damaged should return to service. But, after what happened with 3435-3436 vs. CPD at Kedzie, who knows??? I thought that set would be repaired and return to service, but it might be awaiting the scrapper or have been scrapped already. 3351-3352 is another example, derailing after hitting a car at Kedzie and still not in service since(though it suffered way more damage than the unit mention before, as it ran into Kedzie Station, damaging it).

Anyone think whatever pair of 5000's hit this car will return to service again, or might they be retired early?

Anyone think whatever pair of 5000's hit this car will return to service again, or might they be retired early?

I really doubt that CTA can justify throwing away $2.8 million at this point. A car-train accident shouldn't total the cars.

Probably depends how much damage was done to undercar equipment.

BTW, with references to rehabbing 256 cars, or for 261 sets of rehab parts, or that 256 7000s are to replace 3200s, I doubt that the ones you cited are permanently retired.

11/15/13 1:52p

Upcoming Alert For 11/16/13 @ 6a until 5p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Red

Level Of Service Interruption: --

Information: 95th-bound trains will not stop at Argyle or Lawrence.

• Service to these stations: Take a 95th-bound train to Wilson and transfer to a Howard-bound train.
  • Service from these stations: Take a Howard-bound train to Berwyn and transfer to a 95th-bound train.

Note: At Wilson station, board/exit 95th-bound trains on the west auxiliary platform. At Sheridan station, 95th-bound trains will stop at their normal platform, but use the Outer Tracks instead of the Inner Tracks.

This is due to structural maintenance to ensure that trains continue to operate safely along the Red Line.

11/16/13 8:28p

***Special Weather Note For 11/17/13 beginning at 12a for duration of Weather Event***

Rail Line(s) Affected: All Rail Lines

Information: Potentially Dangerous Severe Weather Event outlooked for Chicagoland area tomorrow with Severe Thunderstorms capable of producing damaging winds in excess of 70 mph and 60% chance of Tornadoes likely, according to TWC, NWS Chicago and Tom Skilling. Rail Service could see interruptions of varying degrees due to any damage or debris that may be caused by the most intense storms that may occur. Expect delays ranging from Minor to Major w/ Disruptions possible on any, several, or all rail lines, depending on T-Storm severity.

11/22/13 5:45p

Upcoming Alert For 11/23/13 @ 2a until 11/25/13 @ 4a

Rail Line(s) Affected: Green

Information: Trains operate between Harlem/Lake, Downtown and Roosevelt, and between 35th-Bronzeville-IIT, Ashland/63rd and Cottage Grove.

Alternate Service: Shuttle Buses will replace rail service between Roosevelt and 35th-Bronzeville-IIT.

This is due to construction of the new Cermak-McCormick Place station and structural maintenance work.

11/23/13 5:40p

Upcoming Alert For 11/24/13 @ 5a until 7p

Information: Trains in both directions will operate on the same track between Sedgwick and Fullerton.

• 5a until 11:30a: Board/Exit all trains on the Loop-bound platform at the Armitage station.
  • 11:30a until 7p: Board/Exit all trains on the Kimball-bound platform at the Armitage station.

This is due to structural improvements to remove slow zones and improve rail service on the Brown Line as part of the Ravenswood Connector Rehabilitation Project.

Weekday Service Changes Nov 25 - 29

NOTE: Bus and rail service will operate on a

Sunday/Holiday schedule on Thursday, November 28, 2013 (Thanksgiving

Day). Service will operate on a normal weekday schedule on Friday,

November 29, 2013 (the day after Thanksgiving).

Rail Lines

BLUE LINE

Nov 25 - 27

Mon to Wed, nightly

10pm to 4am next day

Boarding Change, Delays Between Grand and LaSalle

How does this affect my trip?

Board/exit trains on the O’Hare-bound side of the platform at the Clark/Lake, Washington, Monroe, and Jackson stations.

Trains in both directions will operate on the same track between Grand and LaSalle, resulting in minor delays.

Allow extra travel time.

Why is service being changed?

We are performing maintenance to improve stations in the Dearborn Subway.

PURPLE LINE

Nov 25 - 27

Mon to Wed, nightly

9pm to 4am next day

Boarding Change, Delays Between Noyes and Linden

Board/exit all trains on the Howard-bound side of the platform at the Central station.

Trains in both directions will operate on the same track between Noyes and Linden, resulting in minor delays.

Allow extra travel time.

We are performing track maintenance to ensure that trains continue to operate safely along the Purple Line.

Here are the Service changes for the weekend:

BLUE LINE Nov 24 - 25 10pm Sun to 4am Mon Boarding Change, Delays Between Grand and LaSalle

Board/exit trains on the O’Hare-bound side of the platform at the Clark/Lake, Washington, Monroe, and Jackson stations.
Trains in both directions will operate on the same track between Grand and LaSalle, resulting in minor delays.
Allow extra travel time.

We are performing maintenance to improve stations in the Dearborn Subway.

BROWN LINE
Sun, Nov 24
5am to 7pm

Boarding Change, Delays Between Sedgwick and Fullerton

5am to 11:30am:
Board/exit all trains on the Loop-bound platform at the Armitage station.
11:30am to 7pm: Board/exit all trains on the Kimball-bound platform at the Armitage station.
Trains in both directions will operate on the same track between Sedgwick and Fullerton, resulting in minor delays.
Allow extra travel time.

We are making structural improvements to remove slow zones and
to improve rail service on the Brown Line as part of the Ravenswood
Connector Rehabilitation Project.

GREEN LINE
Nov 23 - 25
2am Sat to 4am Mon
Bus Substitution Between Roosevelt and 35th-Bronzeville-IIT Stations
Shuttle buses replace rail service between Roosevelt and 35th-Bronzeville-IIT.

Trains operate between Harlem/Lake, Downtown and Roosevelt, and between 35th-Bronzeville-IIT, Ashland/63rd and Cottage Grove.

Allow extra travel time.

Service is affected due to the construction of the new Cermak-McCormick Place station and structural maintenance work.

PURPLE LINE

Nov 24 - 25
9pm Sun to 4am Mon
Boarding Change, Delays Between Noyes and Linden

Board/exit all trains on the Howard-bound side of the platform at the Central station.
Trains in both directions will operate on the same track between Noyes and Linden, resulting in minor delays.
Allow extra travel time.

We are performing track maintenance to ensure that trains continue to operate safely along the Purple Line.

• 2 weeks later...

12/4/13 12:54p

Level Of Service Interruption: Major Delays w/Service Disruption

Information: Red Line service has been temporarily suspended between 47th and 95th/Dan Ryan due to a medical emergency on the tracks at 63rd. Trains are only operating between Howard and 47th at this time.

Alternate Service: Shuttle Buses are available to provide connecting service through the affected area(s). The #29 State Bus can also be used as an alternative through the affected area(s).

Story

Service Interruption Update: Red Line service is being restored to normal at this time with residual delays occurring...

12/4/13 12:54p

Level Of Service Interruption: Major Delays w/Service Disruption

Information: Red Line service has been temporarily suspended between 47th and 95th/Dan Ryan due to a medical emergency on the tracks at 63rd. Trains are only operating between Howard and 47th at this time.

Alternate Service: Shuttle Buses are available to provide connecting service through the affected area(s). The #29 State Bus can also be used as an alternative through the affected area(s).

Story

Again, according to WGN News, your "medical emergency" is someone hit by a train and killed.

But jajuan doesn't want me to bring up those details.

Again, according to WGN News, your "medical emergency" is someone hit by a train and killed.

But jajuan doesn't want me to bring up those details.

If you're adding something useful why would I be against you sharing? Without highjacking the thread and rehashing the debate, you know why I confronted you sir. B)

• Upvote 3

If you're adding something useful why would I be against you sharing? Without highjacking the thread and rehashing the debate, you know why I confronted you sir. B)

You know, my "this is tasteless" point. In fact, any medical emergency is long over. However, WGN Radio hasn't said that the power has been restored.*

Update: As of 1:35 Leslie Keiling said trains are starting to move.

*sigh* I'm really tired of this demeanor here... please read the details for reports that I log on this thread... they are on page 1, 1st post... but I'll put them here for those who believe these are tasteless posts to see...

I'm going to post Minor Delays, Significant Delays and Service Disruptions Rail Alerts in this topic when I notice them, since they do count as breakdowns in some sense. You can as well if you wish.

Here's how alerts will be posted:

Sudden Alerts: Alerts that impact rail lines due to mechanical issues, medical issues, weather-related, etc... will be posted immediately once I notice them occuring(if I happen to not notice them for whatever reason, they won't be posted. However, chicagobus.org members are free to post alerts they notice).

Construction Alerts: Alerts that impact rail lines due to construction. These could vary from station bypasses, single tracking, etc... these alerts will only be posted for ones that occur during high travel periods on the "L", which is typically between 6a-9:59p. Overnight alerts will not be posted as these are low travel periods on most lines.

This isn't just my thread.... this is all of ours. You can post the alerts here too. You can post them using the layout I use or one of your own. I do the layout you see to ID the rail line, and the severity of rail service interruption with Red being most Severe, Orange being Significant and Lime being Minor

I'll even break these down for you, so you know what is categorized as what..

• Mechanical Issues: Anything mechanical occurring will be logged here. Switches aren't working, gates aren't working, doors stuck on a railcar, train breaks down, etc...
  • Medical Issues: Sick/Injured passengers requiring Ambulatory services will be logged here as the train has to sit and block traffic until the Ambulance arrives, assesses the overall health and well being of the sick/injured person and removes them from the train so it may continue. DB's also fall under this category.
  • Weather-Related Issues: Mother Nature has caused delays on rail lines before from minor to major interruptions. Heat warps rails and forces trains to take it slow. Snow/Ice could cause issues with switches and sometimes cars getting power(not as bad as the 2600-Series fiasco pre-rehab, but still happens).
  • Miscellaneous: This is generally everything else that can cause delays, but two important subcategories will be mentioned, so you understand...
  1. Fire Dept. Activity: This is when rail service is interrupted due to Fire Dept. response to an issue on or near the rail service. This could be fire on the tracks, a train catching fire, or a building or other object that is on fire.
  2. Police Activity: This is when rail service is interrupted due to Police Activity response to an issue on or near the rail service. There are lots of reasons for this, but most notable would be disorderly conduct on a train. Also prominent would be suspicious packages or even bomb threats. Armed assailants in the vicinity of rail traffic that could harm passengers would cause delays while police search for and apprehend those involved.

If a skunk enters a car and causes delays because it stinks up a Red Line train at Chicago, filling the whole train and the Subway station, it, too will be logged here...

Hopefully this clears all this up. Right now, your comment about my post being "tasteless" when it falls under the guidelines is "tasteless". CTA considers accidents like someone on the rails killed a Medical Emergency, then it shall be logged as such. Bring it up with them if you think it's tasteless or should be changed. I'm logging it as such... have a good day... :)

• Upvote 2

12/5/13 9:37p

***Blue Line Renovation Project***

Over the next four years, the CTA will be renovating the O-Hare Branch of the Blue Line. This project includes track and station improvements along a 12.5 mile stretch between the Grand and Cumberland stations, and signal upgrades between the Jefferson Park and O-Hare stations. Highlights include...

• Extensive station renovations at the Grand, Chicago, Division, Damen, California, Logan Square and Jefferson Park stations.
  • Platform repairs and a new elevator installed at Addison to make it ADA Accessible.
  • Repairs at Irving Park, Montrose, Harlem and Cumberland stations.
  • Track improvements to eliminate and prevent slow zones in the Milwaukee Subway (Damen to Belmont) and the Dearborn Subway (Grand to Division).
  • Track signal improvements between O-Hare and Jefferson Park to improve travel speed of trains.
  • Traction power upgrades to improve service reliability.
  • New water management systems to ensure clean and dry Subway stations.
  • Special track improvements near the O-Hare station and in the Rosemont Rail Yard to reduce delays and ensure more efficient operation.
  • Upgrade to wireless infrastructure in the Subways to provide customers and workers with more voice, data and web service in the Subway. The existing infrastructure is outdated and needs replacement.

As far as alerts here for this project, following construction policy on Rail Alerts... only Weekend Day Alerts and any Weekday Day Alerts that are scheduled will be logged. Alerts for overnight work will not be logged(at least by me), as that is a low ridership period for most lines. Sudden impacts will be logged for late night alerts if I see them, however. Those are the only past 10p alerts that I will log.

12/6/13 2:36p

Upcoming Rail Alert For 12/7/13 @ 9a until 2:30p

Information: Howard-bound trains will stop at their normal platform at Sheridan, but board/exit trains on the Outer Tracks instead of the Inner Tracks.

Howard-bound trains will be using Purple Line Express tracks between Addison and Wilson.

This is due to maintenance to ensure that trains continue to operate safely along the Red Line.

12/7/13 11:23a

Upcoming Rail Alert for 12/8/13 @ 5a until 7p

• 5a-11:30a: Board/Exit all trains on the Loop-bound platform at the Armitage station
  • 11:30a-7p: Board/Exit all trains on the Kimball-bound platform at the Armitage station

12/12/13 11:25a

Level Of Service Interruption: Significant Delays

Information: Trains are standing near Lake/Randolph due to Fire Dept. Activity.

Service Interruption Update: Service is resuming via the State St. Subway between Fullerton and Cermak-Chinatown.

• Upvote 1

12/14/13 7:51p

Upcoming Rail Alert for 12/15/13 @ 5a until 7p

• 5a-11:30a: Board/Exit all trains on the Loop-bound platform at the Armitage station
  • 11:30a-7p: Board/Exit all trains on the Kimball-bound platform at the Armitage station

12/21/13 12:16p

Upcoming Rail Alert for 12/22/13 @ 5a until 7p