flxible workbuses

busaddictdm

Why is he getting a bad reputation just for asking a question?? This needs to stop!. Were all fans on this site. I dont know why my reputation reads minus -14. Is there some dislike here?? If youre a busfan you should be allowed to post what you like so long as it pertains to the subject. Come on people!!

Why is he getting a bad reputation just for asking a question?? This needs to stop!. Were all fans on this site. I dont know why my reputation reads minus -14. Is there some dislike here?? If youre a busfan you should be allowed to post what you like so long as it pertains to the subject. Come on people!!

I strongly agree. Someone's got some serious issues here.

• Upvote 3

How many flxibles are working with the workbus?

Well, I am not going to -1 anyone for questions, but this one just rattles my brain... :huh:How many Flxibles are working with the workbus?

Maybe it should be worded like this perhaps....

How many Flxibles are working with the workbus as workbuses?

My answer to the question(presuming this is the question asked) is 5-10. It should be an all Flxible fleet now, unless some TMC's are still in WB operation and/or a few of the old New Flyers are also WB's. All the Flyer D901A's and M.A.N Seattle Articulateds used prior should be scrapped now.

• Upvote 5

Do you mean MAN Americanas? I've never seen an articulated work bus!

The TMCs have only been in work service for a few years; I can't imagine they would all be replaced so soon. There has to be some cost associated with retrofitting them. The Flyer work buses are long gone.

The TMCs have only been in work service for a few years; I can't imagine they would all be replaced so soon. There has to be some cost associated with retrofitting them. The Flyer work buses are long gone.

CTA work buses have included up to late, Flxible Metros, TMC RTS, Flyers. I dont think the Flyer D901s are in use anymore although there may be one or two still on the property. You can still see Fl Metros and RTS buses in work bus service around Chicago. In the past there have been Fishbowls, Flxible New Looks used as CTA work buses.

I thought that was very odd too, but I spoke to a Ironworker when I found ex-996(3,5,8) under the Metra tracks on Lincoln and was talking about the Flyers they had at the time. He said they had a few of the accordion buses from Seattle that the CTA had recently retired(NABI-era).

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing that like the CTA revenue bus fleet, the non-revenue bus fleet is being upgraded to reduce maintainance costs. With 200+ Flxibles parked at Archer with a basically non-existent chance now of returning to revenue service, the Ironworkers could now have a uniform fleet of Flxibles and retire the TMC's which are 20 years old, as opposed to the 16 year old Flxibles. They might also have a few of the New Flyers that were also recently retired, although that would be pure speculation, as nobody has seen them as WB's, but possible since they are only 15 years old with still some post-revenue life left in them.

You're absolutely right this needs to stop. Some one did me the same way when I posted a bus topic in the rail topic I mean honestly it was my 1st time doing it and I was trying to put it in the rail but I didnt know how at the time. Like you said "If youre a busfan you should be allowed to pust what you like as long as it pertains to the subject.

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing that like the CTA revenue bus fleet, the non-revenue bus fleet is being upgraded to reduce maintainance costs. With 200+ Flxibles parked at Archer with a basically non-existent chance now of returning to revenue service, the Ironworkers could now have a uniform fleet of Flxibles and retire the TMC's which are 20 years old, as opposed to the 16 year old Flxibles. They might also have a few of the New Flyers that were also recently retired, although that would be pure speculation, as nobody has seen them as WB's, but possible since they are only 15 years old with still some post-revenue life left in them.

The Flxibles, from what Im told are all cleared from Archer Garage. The large number of Flxibles I saw at South Shops just over a week ago seem to back that up. From what I know, two Flxible 6000s have been retained and turned over to the Chicago Fire Dept. as well as the few being used for work bus service. I believe all but one 5800 New Flyer exists, it is in service with the CFD.

The Flxibles, from what Im told are all cleared from Archer Garage. The large number of Flxibles I saw at South Shops just over a week ago seem to back that up. From what I know, two Flxible 6000s have been retained and turned over to the Chicago Fire Dept. as well as the few being used for work bus service. I believe all but one 5800 New Flyer exists, it is in service with the CFD.

And that 5300 series Flx that CPD has,I linked a pic of it last year. cool.gif

And that 5700 Flx that CPD has,I linked a pic of it last year. cool.gif

Theres a couple of the #5500 series Flxibles still in existence. The CPD/crime fighter of course! Also, #5643 is stored at Chicago Ave. Garage.

Although now retired, from what Ive been told, #5643 will be saved for preservation.

Yeah, after it probably gets the Flyer #1606 treatment(seizing engine, cutting all lines, etc...) If they don't it'd suprise me. I wish they would've kept #1606 running, but I guess CHBM had no choice but to scrap it. The Flyers were my favorite bus, since I rode them so often on the #77 back in the 1980's.

Yeah, after it probably gets the Flyer #1606 treatment(seizing engine, cutting all lines, etc...) If they don't it'd suprise me. I wish they would've kept #1606 running, but I guess CHBM had no choice but to scrap it. The Flyers were my favorite bus, since I rode them so often on the #77 back in the 1980's.

5643 is in CTA's fleet, not CHBM's fleet.