Old Flxible 5909

I have a photo of CTA Flxible 5909 sitting at Devon and Western as a route 155 Devon, supposedly in 1964.

I've looked at all the bus rosters I could find to no avail.

Can someone tell me about it?

Thanks

Hank Morris

This is a Flxible FT2P-40 built 1954 one of the propane buses. Buses of this batch were last operated in 1973.

I have a photo of CTA Flxible 5909 sitting at Devon and Western as a route 155 Devon, supposedly in 1964.

I've looked at all the bus rosters I could find to no avail.

Can someone tell me about it?

Thanks

Hank Morris

How did you find such a picture? Have you also got Old Flxible 8255 or 8314?

How did you find such a picture? Have you also got Old Flxible 8255 or 8314?

I'm a director of the Rogers Park/West Ridge Historical Society. I'm building a HistoryWiki for our area. The photo is part of our photo archives. I've been putting placeholders in the HistoryWiki to eventually link our archive photos to the appropriate HistoryWiki pages/topics. It's just one of many photos with various buses. I like to have as much info as possible about the contents of each photo for those researchers that will use our HistoryWiki. Hence, my query.

We don't have the other two buses you asked about--yet! I haven't gotten through the 4000+ photos completely. I still have around 400 more to go. Transportation is the last of our categories. So, I don't really know if I'll find photos of the two buses you asked about.

Anyone who has photos of buses or streetcars or rapid transit cars in either Rogers Park or West Ridge is encouraged to donate copies to us for preservation. The first three numbers of our catalog number tells us who donated the photos, so you'll get credit. We scan everything at 300 dpi. and store the hi-res in "TIFF" format. Electronic submissions can be made to rpwrhs@aol.com Prints can be sent to us at 1447 W. Morse Avenue, Chicago, IL 60626. If you want the print back, please provide a return address. We're running a tad slow, so expect us to take a couple of months to get to you. Sorry, but an all-volunteer group isn't as quick as a for-profit group.

If I find either of the two buses you asked about, I'll send a follow-up. Always happy to help. Thanks for your help.

I'm a director of the Rogers Park/West Ridge Historical Society. I'm building a HistoryWiki for our area. The photo is part of our photo archives. I've been putting placeholders in the HistoryWiki to eventually link our archive photos to the appropriate HistoryWiki pages/topics. It's just one of many photos with various buses. I like to have as much info as possible about the contents of each photo for those researchers that will use our HistoryWiki. Hence, my query.

We don't have the other two buses you asked about--yet! I haven't gotten through the 4000+ photos completely. I still have around 400 more to go. Transportation is the last of our categories. So, I don't really know if I'll find photos of the two buses you asked about.

Anyone who has photos of buses or streetcars or rapid transit cars in either Rogers Park or West Ridge is encouraged to donate copies to us for preservation. The first three numbers of our catalog number tells us who donated the photos, so you'll get credit. We scan everything at 300 dpi. and store the hi-res in "TIFF" format. Electronic submissions can be made to rpwrhs@aol.com Prints can be sent to us at 1447 W. Morse Avenue, Chicago, IL 60626. If you want the print back, please provide a return address. We're running a tad slow, so expect us to take a couple of months to get to you. Sorry, but an all-volunteer group isn't as quick as a for-profit group.

If I find either of the two buses you asked about, I'll send a follow-up. Always happy to help. Thanks for your help.

As Always, you're welcome! I wanted to say this, I also collect CTA Badges(even though I don't work for the CTA, But, as a kid, I was interested in the CTA)that I ordered from EBay! Wonder if you collect old transit artifacts(like the aforementioned CTA Badges I mentioned on EBay)

As Always, you're welcome! I wanted to say this, I also collect CTA Badges(even though I don't work for the CTA, But, as a kid, I was interested in the CTA)that I ordered from EBay! Wonder if you collect old transit artifacts(like the aforementioned CTA Badges I mentioned on EBay)

I don't have anything. Being a retired editor, I spend a lot of time writing about things. Living in a townhouse, I'm strapped for space.

Hank

If I find either of the two buses you asked about, I'll send a follow-up....

If you are dealing with Rogers Park, it isn't too likely. In that era, Rogers Park (i.e. North Park Garage) had mostly 5500s. Older stuff before that, and 8700s starting around 1963. There might be some GMs from way back when CMC was still operating on Sheridan Road and Ashland Blvd.

If you are dealing with Rogers Park, it isn't too likely. In that era, Rogers Park (i.e. North Park Garage) had mostly 5500s. Older stuff before that, and 8700s starting around 1963. There might be some GMs from way back when CMC was still operating on Sheridan Road and Ashland Blvd.

I'm dealing with whatever photos we have in hand and trying to identify whatever is being depicted. Our archives has over 4,000--most of which are NOT transportation-oriented. Sigh!

I wish we had more, hence, my plea in an earlier response.

Rogers Park and West Ridge photos of transportation in action, as opposed to generic posed photos, are not that easy to come by. We're lucky we have any.

Bus fans could help out, should they elect to do so. I've found photos taken by someone who cares about the subject come out far better than some professional shots. AND, professionals that care take fabulous photos. It's finding them that's always difficult.

We have a couple of photos of double-decker CMC buses and the turnaround at Devon/Sheridan. CMC stuff is, for me, hard to find. Seems nobody had written a book about it, yet. Lots of pieces around, but nothing substantive.

Oh, well--someday!!!

Hank

So they had 8700 propanes? As you know, those things retired in either 1975 or 1976(my guess it was 1976)And those 8700s sounded great, didn't they? Wonder if somebody has a pic of those old 8700s?

Im used to seeing many pics and even some film footage of the propanes in action but Ive never heard what the buses sounded like since I was born in 1971, they were just about gone by the time I was 3!. I wish someone had a soundbite of the 5000s/8000s or the 8700 series propanes. Ive had people describe to me what the buses sounded like but Id rather hear it for myself. If anyone knows of anyone who might have a video or soundbite of the CTA propane buses, I would certainly appreciate the gesture.

So they had 8700 propanes? As you know, those things retired in either 1975 or 1976(my guess it was 1976)And those 8700s sounded great, didn't they? Wonder if somebody has a pic of those old 8700s?

Here is a pic of an 8700 at Howard Street. I got this from one of the common sites,

but right now I cant remember which one, or I'd give you a link.

post-17-12970131856979_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Here is a pic of an 8700 at Howard Street. I got this from one of the common sites,

but right now I cant remember which one, or I'd give you a link.

post-17-12970131856979_thumb.jpg

That's a sharp-looking CTA 8700 propane bus. I used to ride on one of them when they were on the #55 Garfield route.

That's a sharp-looking CTA 8700 propane bus. I used to ride on one of them when they were on the #55 Garfield route.

Being propanes and not diesels, what did these 8700s sound like? What would the engine sound compare to?

Being propanes and not diesels, what did these 8700s sound like? What would the engine sound compare to?

Basically like a bus but you have to remember that about that time CTA had about 1600 propanes.

Based on my recollection, much quieter and less smelly than the 100 series 1961 GMC diesels that partially replaced them on 69th barn routes. Apparently, CTA had some problems with diesels then, as there are reported cases of people suing because they were gassed on an 8500 series diesel.

The old look Flxs had a whine on its initial acceleration followed by an what sounded like an air release/click as it shifted from low gear to a higher gear. As it went into the higher gear it had a lower sounding hum which would increase in pitch as speed increased.

The new look Flxs (8700s)sounded a little bit like an engine in need of oil...the clatter type sound as it accelerated. Once it shifted the rattle faded out and the engine had a real quiet hum to it. The switch from low gear to high gear was generally a smooth sound transition, pretty much like what you would remember in the 3000 series Flxs. These were perhaps the quietest buses the CTA ever had up until the current batch of New Flyers hit the streets. Complete opposites of the 100 series GMs and 3700/3800 Flxs which were extremely loud, inside and out.

Its kind of hard to actually describe the sounds, but I hope the terms of hum and whine give you an idea. I am sure someone else out there from that time could support and/or enhance my descriptions. I have fond memories of all of these buses. Their sounds are ringing my ears as I type.

If anyone has some good 8500 pics, I'd love to see them...they are few and far between. Those are actually the buses I had contact with the most living off Diversey and Cicero growing up.

Here's a Flxible publicity photo for the CTA 8500's. Not exactly Chicago... or is it?!?...

Other than the headsign, which one can't make out, the bus certainly is exactly as in Chicago.

However, the setting probably isn't (unless far west Addison St. or Diversey looks like that, and even then, the street is way too narrow).

Other than the headsign, which one can't make out, the bus certainly is exactly as in Chicago.

However, the setting probably isn't (unless far west Addison St. or Diversey looks like that, and even then, the street is way too narrow).

The Sign reads Chicago Heights.... Since when did the CTA service Chicago Heights

The Sign reads Chicago Heights.... Since when did the CTA service Chicago Heights

Didn't, although don't think that Carole Brown wouldn't have wanted to, as part of the aborted South Side restructuring proposal.

Of course, the Chicago portion isn't that clear to me.

I'm sure it's the actual CTA 8563, all right. But I have a feeling the idyllic suburban scene isn't anywhere near CTA territory. The sign says "Chicago Heights" (not a CTA destination I've heard of), with no route number, and the side sign is missing. What's more, the narrow, residential street is barely big enough for a bike, let alone a city bus! My guess is that this publicity photo was simply staged by Flxible, somewhere near Loudonville, before these buses were delivered to the CTA. But it sure makes a 40 foot, ten ton, diesel-belcher look family friendly, doesn't it?

Here's a Flxible publicity photo for the CTA 8500's. Not exactly Chicago... or is it?!?

344choo.jpg

I remember seeing buses like this running along Loomis in the early 1970s with the sign Chartered. The bus was always empty. Someone from a Yahoo transit group said that a certain nearby school chartered two buses to transport the not-so-well-behaved children home. That school decided not to run that service anymore, but no one notified CTA, so the drivers drove empty buses and got paid.