Old Flxible 5909

6131's comment would imply that in this case the 8500 was at Limits. However it should be noted

that in the day, Diversey buses did go downtown via Stockton, North, Lake Shore, Michigan to

Adams and Wabash. On Sundays, they ended at Sheridan, as they do now. This was up until what is

now the Blue Line was extended from Logan Square to Jefferson Park. Addison buses went via Canon Dr enroute downtown. So if there was movement after the initial arrival, then this could be a Diversy bus from Keeler.

Also, there is a pic of 8562 operating the Archer Express route on State Street in the book "CTA at 50". So,

at sometime, they were at Archer also.

Reading your profile (about me) reminds me much of myself growing up only I was lucky enough to work for CTA in a capacity I dreamed of. With all due respect Trainman8119 if you recall that picture was taken in 1962. The bus assignment I mentioned was in effect for several years before they were spread out over the CTA system. The route descriptions of Diversey and Addison that you mentioned was some of the routes that gave me a headache because I was the one that described those routes on the old green PI signs.

6131's comment would imply that in this case the 8500 was at Limits. However it should be noted

that in the day, Diversey buses did go downtown via Stockton, North, Lake Shore, Michigan to

Adams and Wabash. On Sundays, they ended at Sheridan, as they do now. This was up until what is

now the Blue Line was extended from Logan Square to Jefferson Park. Addison buses went via Canon Dr enroute downtown. So if there was movement after the initial arrival, then this could be a Diversy bus from Keeler.

Also, there is a pic of 8562 operating the Archer Express route on State Street in the book "CTA at 50". So,

at sometime, they were at Archer also.

Have you got a picture of Flxible CTA Bus #8562?

Have you got a picture of Flxible CTA Bus #8562?

As trainman points out, it is on the dust cover of Krambles' book, so check at your favorite online book reseller. However, the best I can make out is that the destination sign is Adams-Canal, and I always assumed it was a 158A-Wacker Express. My eyes aren't what they once were, but I'm pretty sure of the destination.

If it were a 158A, it could have come from nearly any garage.

Also, since it seems to be on the wrong side of State Street and is credited to the CTA, it probably was a staged photo. You know that Krambles wasn't waiting on the sidewalk to catch a photo.

As trainman points out, it is on the dust cover of Krambles' book, so check at your favorite online book reseller. However, the best I can make out is that the destination sign is Adams-Canal, and I always assumed it was a 158A-Wacker Express. My eyes aren't what they once were, but I'm pretty sure of the destination.

If it were a 158A, it could have come from nearly any garage.

Also, since it seems to be on the wrong side of State Street and is credited to the CTA, it probably was a staged photo. You know that Krambles wasn't waiting on the sidewalk to catch a photo.

I have two other questions floating around that I posted last week. Anybody have a chance to reply? I haven't heard a peep.

Hank Morris

Reading your profile (about me) reminds me much of myself growing up only I was lucky enough to work for CTA in a capacity I dreamed of. With all due respect Trainman8119 if you recall that picture was taken in 1962. The bus assignment I mentioned was in effect for several years before they were spread out over the CTA system. The route descriptions of Diversey and Addison that you mentioned was some of the routes that gave me a headache because I was the one that described those routes on the old green PI signs.

I think I was referring more to Busjack's comment of the possibility of it being an Addison bus. Addison went via Cannon, Diversey went via Stockton.

• 1 month later...

I just realized something else about the pic with 8522 and 7290 - 8522 appears to be

signed for route 151 - Sheridan. Back in those days (1960's) I would have expected to

8522 on route 76 Diversey or 152 Addison. I thought Sheridan was run with propane New Looks (87xx,88xx).

It would have if it ran out of North Park, where it usually did. However, as discussed with regard to the picture of an 8500 on Stockton, nothing saying that it wasn't a special run out of Keeler, or interlined with a Diversey or Addison downtown, or, when Limits had them, from Limits.

From the Krambles book:

post-17-13231927199868_thumb.jpg

Another pic of an 8500 from some source online:

post-17-13231927688842_thumb.jpg

I used to ride the 7200-Mack Series Buses when they were on State St(South Side)back in the day(early 1970s) and, around 1975, the 8500s were on 79th street(as a substitiute bus which had a sign reading "West Terminal" or "South Terminal")

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I remember seeing buses like this running along Loomis in the early 1970s with the sign Chartered. The bus was always empty. Someone from a Yahoo transit group said that a certain nearby school chartered two buses to transport the not-so-well-behaved children home. That school decided not to run that service anymore, but no one notified CTA, so the drivers drove empty buses and got paid.

The school in question was Moseley at State/57th or thereabouts. 52nd garage sent five buses over there at letout. Three went south as follows:

One via State-69th-Lafayette to 79th

One via State-69th-Lafayette to 95th

One via State-59th-Loomis to 69th

Two went north:

One via State-Garfield-Wentworth-Cermak to Indiana

One via State-Garfield-Indiana to Cermak

When CPS closed Moseley nobody told CTA headquarters, and the drivers who had picked there runs certainly weren't telling, so the buses ran for at least a whole pick empty.