CTA President Richard Rodriguez

Remember everything Rich is taking credit for, was already planned way before his arrival. Krusei got the funds for the brownline project (as well as many others i.e cermak blue/pink, dan ryan red,paulina connector, west side service improvements,north/south lakeshore service improvements, 2600 rehab, updating bus fleet with low floors including nova/nabi/new flyer orders, while rehabbing 6000s and TMC bus series), laid the foundation for bustracker, technology improvements (including avas, and updating the fare system), and alternative analysis for orange, red, yellow, and circle line extensions. Huberman got the slow zone work done, ordered new the stimulus artics after pulling the nabis away, completed bus tracker on all routes, completed last new flyer order, and began 5000 order. Still wondering what Rich actually did.

• Upvote 1

Still wondering what Rich actually did.

Babysat the system for two years, forced out some really qualified high-level execs and replaced them with more city hall rejects.

Also, to Currentz09, Rodriguez has not showed his face around the community any more than Huberman or Kruesi did, so I don't know why he necessarily gets any credit for that.

Others have already pointed out how different CTA presidents had more to do with the stuff you're giving RRod credit for. The only thing Rodriguez had to do with the 5000s, for example, was being there when the test set was delivered. That would be like giving Claypool credit for the 5000s if, on Monday, CTA announces the cars successfully completed their tests and gives the go-ahead for the full order.

• Upvote 1

The only thing Rodriguez had to do with the 5000s, for example, was being there when the test set was delivered. That would be like giving Claypool credit for the 5000s if, on Monday, CTA announces the cars successfully completed their tests and gives the go-ahead for the full order.

Hilkevitch indicated in a recent article that the #5000's will not be arriving until next year. So if you like waiting for something you've come to the right place.

Huberman got the slow zone work done, ordered new the stimulus artics after pulling the nabis away, completed bus tracker on all routes, completed last new flyer order, and began 5000 order. Still wondering what Rich actually did.

Actually you misstated what Huberman did. Huberman leased the 150 buses, but DID NOT pull the NABIs. Rodriguez did, after one broke on his watch, and then said that Huberman had been negotiating with the feds for 6 months about them, but it was actually Rodriguez who pulled them.

If you go back through this forum, and especially to the President's Report that was the source, Huberman justified the lease as replacing 200 40 foot buses with 150 60 foot ones. No mention of the NABIs.

About that time someone was posting that garage superintendents had the authority to retire the NABIs, which they didn't, but apparently Rodriguez did have the authority to take them out of service in Feb. April 2009. RRod did, but didn't take credit for it.

Also, with the debate over the rail cars, I don't know what is holding up the testing, but apparently someone in the RRod administration doesn't want this to be another NABI debacle (oh, I forget, there are NABI employees here who are easily offended).

While RRod wasn't entitled to credit for getting the money for the 58 buses, Dearborn Subway, and Chinatown station, at least his administration got the construction done. One of the first things that Huberman had to do was fire the VP of Construction.

Finally, another thing that that RRod did for which he didn't take credit was doing Daley's walking orders of either get concessions or make cuts. He didn't get concessions, but made cuts, especially getting rid of the 200 buses (now apparently permanently), but not with replacements.

I have no problem stating the record as it actually is, not what either side imagines it to be.

• Upvote 1

Rodriguez did not retire the NABIs. They were pulled during the interim month in between Huberman's departure and Rodriguez's arrival.

I forget the guy's name off the top of my head who was acting president during that month, but they were off the property before RRod ever showed up.

If you want to really be accurate about the NABI timeline, you should note that they were only pulled all at once, when they were, because one of them broke. Otherwise, the first 25-30 or so had already been, quietly, pulled from service by that point, starting when Huberman was still in charge. The rest of them were slated to go, as the year progressed, with the delivery of new New Flyer artics. The thing is, the public wouldn't have noticed because, as the hope was, the BRT buses would have started deliveries by then, and you had that option for up to 900 buses (or whatever the number was) that New Flyer was gearing up to produce, but had to be canceled at the last minute due to lack of state capital funds.

The point in all this is to say that you really can't give automatic credit or blame to the guy in office for what happens during his watch, because the wheels get set in motion long before he got there, and the full effect won't be felt until long after he's gone (which might not be the case if CTA could actually get a qualified prez, who cares about the industry, and stays longer than 1-2 years). Remember, the contract for the 5000s was awarded under Kruesi, and the first regular production unit hasn't yet been delivered 3+ presidents later.

Rodriguez did not retire the NABIs. They were pulled during the interim month in between Huberman's departure and Rodriguez's arrival.

I forget the guy's name off the top of my head who was acting president during that month, but they were off the property before RRod ever showed up.

If you want to really be accurate about the NABI timeline, you should note that they were only pulled all at once, when they were, because one of them broke. Otherwise, the first 25-30 or so had already been, quietly, pulled from service by that point, starting when Huberman was still in charge. The rest of them were slated to go, as the year progressed, with the delivery of new New Flyer artics. The thing is, the public wouldn't have noticed because, as the hope was, the BRT buses would have started deliveries by then, and you had that option for up to 900 buses (or whatever the number was) that New Flyer was gearing up to produce, but had to be canceled at the last minute due to lack of state capital funds....

Whatever. One can at least note that Huberman was gone when the break occurred, and one can certainly make the argument that Huberman was engaged in a coverup when he said in Dec. 2007 what the reason was for the lease, and at least since September 2008, according to Rodriguez.

One could also make the argument that they were pulled only for inspection in Feb 2009, and were actually characterized as "unlikely to return to service" in April, which was under Rodriguez. Admittedly, this site documented that some were already on"long term hold" before Feb. 2009, but nobody can say that there was an official decision as to the fate of the whole series until April.

The 900 bus order turned out to be a joke, anyway, unless you are among those who mentioned on Chicago Tonight, The Week in Review, that somehow Daley was really shocked that the Olympics went to Rio. The first 140 might have been credible, but the rest, no.

You may also note that, for what I gave RRod credit, that certainly did not consist of a badge of honor.

first and foremost i like to thank everybody that has replied to the post and keeping things at a respectable level. i learned a lot from this post and i thank you all for the knowledge. some have said i dont know what im talking about,well im here to say we all disagree to agree and i do read the blogs and news pages so i fact check before i do post anything and i try to post additional information to further tell the story. after hearing all this negative stuff i hear about the CTA i understand some complaints but others i just dont get as i have rode the CTA when visiting chicago. to the CTA if you are reading hit me up i would like a career in transit, why not start here and please note i am not a press agent for CTA (HINT CTA HINT!!!!). i will begin a post about MCTS as of monday may 16 so make sure you stay tuned. any questions and concerns in box me. with that i hope you enjoyed the post, thanxz!!!!!!

Again, not to start a flame war.

That's not my intent.

Sometimes, just riding a transit system is not enough to be well acquainted with it. Especially if you don't reside here. You miss out on the day-to-day, and maybe see it through rose colored glasses. Just saying.

Reading blogs and news pages won't tell the entire story either.

Rico Suave was here, and now he's gone. He left a mess to carry on. Slow down, stop giving him credit for all those accomplishments. How about the hard working employees that put all these accomplishments in place under him? IMHO, Rico doesn't know the lead car of a six car consist from a hole in the ground. He was no transit professional. He was just another administrator paper pushing suit that comes out of the office from time to time to do a press conference, or show up for a photo op. Goodbye Rico, have a nice life. Don't let the doorknob hit you in the ass-end on your way out.

:huh:

CURRENTZ_09: I wish you well in your endeavors for a transit career. As someone who's been down that road, I might suggest that you seek employment with your local transit agency, MCTS. Get some REAL knowledge under your belt. Learn how transit actually works behind the scenes and be open to learning new things. You may even want to consider interning at other transit agencies and make a few connections. Madison Metro isn't a bad place to start, and you could conceivably take courses at the University as well. Once you have a decent resume, come to CTA and set the world on fire. CTA's best talent comes from people that have come from other agencies, and brought in some EXPERIENCE. Just saying.

I wish you all the best.

post-724-13054804088848_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

To set the record straight, the announcement "that they will be parked next week" referred to "Acting CTA President Dorval Carter." So, to that extent, you are correct.

Of course, the tenor of that announcement, combined with the Tribune article to which I previously linked, indicates that the actual decision "that they would not return to the streets" was made by "CTA President Richard Rodriguez." And, of course, they are still on the property, just sitting there.

My basic point is that all of this still remains well documented, and nobody had any issue at the time when Kevin posted the News Briefs to that effect. Thus, we don't have to rely on bad memories or revisionism, whether here or from the NABI employees. And, when called on it, at least I went back and checked.

I laughed when I heard Claypool was selected. It's obvious he was selected, because he's a buddy of Rahm's. Unfortunately for CTA and the riders we will probably suffer from that choice. Fares are probably going to rise when the two year moratorium on fare increases expires at the end of this year. I just don't see how they can cut more service when it is bare bones now. Instead of focusing so much on expanding "L" service on the Red line, they need to find a way to restore some of the cuts inflicted in Feb 2010. This way the whole city wins instead of just a part of it.

Forrest Claypool was a good choice for CTA President, don't you think so?

Forrest Claypool was a good choice for CTA President, don't you think so?

No.

This was discussed on the CTA Tattler* about a week ago.

There seems to be no point in reiterating that by law, the "Board" is supposed to select someone "who shall be a person of recognized ability and experience in the operation of transportation systems," which manifestly did not happen here.

However, one can be more definite. In this Chicago Tribune interview, Hilekevitch asked hard questions (I am really surprised, but good for him) about such things as CTA, Pace and Metra not working together, the Metra Electric Line (i.e. Mike Payne's Gray Line proposal), Airport Express, and BRT. After saying "I'm kind of at a disadvantage having not yet taken over, and I don't want to pontificate for the sake of pontificating," Claypool basically gave the usual answers, did not show an understanding of the Metra Electric concept,** and basically only said (to the chagrin of linguist sw, I suppose) that the BRT grant was only for BRT Light,*** which I do classify as the only direct answer.

So, MRCTA, if you "think so," tell us why, instead of just throwing it out there. Also, don't assume the Tribune Editorial Board's stance that he must be cleaner because he is from the North Side Democratic Organization and battled the low IQ representative of the South Side Democratic Organization. I still wonder about his health care company, given that its site is nothing but corporate speak.****

*You can also read what I posted there. No need to be too duplicative.

**On further reading, maybe Hilkevitch hedged the question, by making it "pending completion of the Red Line extension."

***Apparently without the BRT Lightguards. Man up, Forrest.

****Note that they call their system RTS. Maybe they are affiliated with Millenium Transit.

Again, not to start a flame war.

That's not my intent.

Sometimes, just riding a transit system is not enough to be well acquainted with it. Especially if you don't reside here. You miss out on the day-to-day, and maybe see it through rose colored glasses. Just saying.

Reading blogs and news pages won't tell the entire story either.

Rico Suave was here, and now he's gone. He left a mess to carry on. Slow down, stop giving him credit for all those accomplishments. How about the hard working employees that put all these accomplishments in place under him? IMHO, Rico doesn't know the lead car of a six car consist from a hole in the ground. He was no transit professional. He was just another administrator paper pushing suit that comes out of the office from time to time to do a press conference, or show up for a photo op. Goodbye Rico, have a nice life. Don't let the doorknob hit you in the ass-end on your way out.

huh.gif

CURRENTZ_09: I wish you well in your endeavors for a transit career. As someone who's been down that road, I might suggest that you seek employment with your local transit agency, MCTS. Get some REAL knowledge under your belt. Learn how transit actually works behind the scenes and be open to learning new things. You may even want to consider interning at other transit agencies and make a few connections. Madison Metro isn't a bad place to start, and you could conceivably take courses at the University as well. Once you have a decent resume, come to CTA and set the world on fire. CTA's best talent comes from people that have come from other agencies, and brought in some EXPERIENCE. Just saying.

I wish you all the best.

post-724-13054804088848_thumb.jpg

Thank you and i will that your advice on creating a successful career and you may see me as president of the CTA one day smile.gif, my post is up about MCTS service called MCTS: service disrupted and uncertain future.................thank you once again

If I met Rahm Emmanuel I'd ask why he can pick a professional educator for CPS

but not a transit professional for CTA.

That certainly would be the first step.

Beyond that, Emanuel seemed to have an agenda when he selected the CEO of schools and Police Commissioner. It certainly was not the "I'll not pontificate" stance that Claypool took.

Anyway, the confirmation that Emanuel took care of Rodriguez by making him environment commissioner. Clout Street

I'm surprised that they phrased it almost in those terms: "Mayor-elect Rahm Emanuel today followed through on his promise to give the Chicago Transit Authority president he replaced a new gig in his administration."

• 1 month later...

Why is it Claypool was able to cut some of the layers of management that Rodriguez didn't.If Rodriguez would have done it 25 percent of the bus service cut could have been avoid it.

I think that this discussion in the Tattler sums it up,* in that it says that it was mostly vacant positions cut, there isn't any indication of what the new org chart will be--just that Rodriguez left these vacancies and Claypool isn't filling them. Thus, it just seems to be a hiring freeze to make the budget look better, without describing any real change.

*Starting with Cheryl and moving up, but discounting goldminetim's apparent sarcasm.