MCTS: Service Disruptions and Uncertain future

Looks like Nova Bus will be getting the bid for the Chris Abele buses. Just read the bid

As I previously noted, there was a similar one addressed to NABI.

This isn't the bid, just purchaser's response to prospective vendors' requests. CTA also publishes these as addenda to the specs (that happened with regard to the requisition for the nonexistent 900 buses), but doesn't mean that any of the possible vendors will get the contract.

As I previously noted, there was a similar one addressed to NABI.

This isn't the bid, just purchaser's response to prospective vendors' requests. CTA also publishes these as addenda to the specs (that happened with regard to the requisition for the nonexistent 900 buses), but doesn't mean that any of the possible vendors will get the contract.

But Nova looks like front runner out of all the bidders, the bids are now closed as of today (Thursday September 27th, 2012) at 2:00 PM, so we should know in the near future who will replace the 4400-series

How was the budget passed if they don't vote on it until November?

They can vote on the budget this early, November is the latest, Chris Abele stated transit was safe this year, most likely it was passed today because Chris Abele recommended his 2013 budget to the common counsel today (which was stated since August on his web page).

But Nova looks like front runner out of all the bidders, the bids are now closed as of today (Thursday September 27th, 2012) at 2:00 PM, so we should know in the near future who will replace the 4400-series

According to the addenda as I've read them the bids now close on October 11. I'm not sure referring to buses as Abele's buses or Walker's buses is accurate. They are the county's buses. The county was buying New Flyer's since Ament was executive. It could still be New Flyer whether it is restyled or Excelsior model. NOVA, NABI, New Flyer, and Gillig are the possibilities I can think of but I will be start looking at Milwaukee County's website in a couple of weeks to see if I can find out who is awarded the contract. I did find an area that mentions contracts awarded and I thank Busjack for giving me that idea to look.

They can vote on the budget this early, November is the latest, Chris Abele stated transit was safe this year, most likely it was passed today because Chris Abele recommended his 2013 budget to the common counsel today (which was stated since August on his web page).

Have they done their mandated public hearings?

Of course not, those are in October.

The budget is never voted on the same day the executive introduces it. The county board (not common council-that's the city) has to review it, get public feedback, etc. Public hearings are in October, vote is in November.

According to the addenda as I've read them the bids now close on October 11. I'm not sure referring to buses as Abele's buses or Walker's buses is accurate. They are the county's buses. The county was buying New Flyer's since Ament was executive. It could still be New Flyer whether it is restyled or Excelsior model. NOVA, NABI, New Flyer, and Gillig are the possibilities I can think of but I will be start looking at Milwaukee County's website in a couple of weeks to see if I can find out who is awarded the contract. I did find an area that mentions contracts awarded and I thank Busjack for giving me that idea to look.

Technically, the 4700s, 4800s, 4900s and 5000s are also "Scott Walker buses" if you're referring to the period in which they were purchased. The 5200s and 5300s were delivered while Abele was executive. Nonetheless, the County Executive has very little to say on which specific buses are purchased. That's done by MCTS.

Have they done their mandated public hearings?

Of course not, those are in October.

The budget is never voted on the same day the executive introduces it. The county board (not common council-that's the city) has to review it, get public feedback, etc. Public hearings are in October, vote is in November.

Technically, the 4700s, 4800s, 4900s and 5000s are also "Scott Walker buses" if you're referring to the period in which they were purchased. The 5200s and 5300s were delivered while Abele was executive. Nonetheless, the County Executive has very little to say on which specific buses are purchased. That's done by MCTS.

@ See Tea Eh, you are correct, but in past years (such as in 2007) Scott Walker passed the budget in Late September, Early October with public hears in late August-Early September, so there is a way to get a full budget in before the mandated date. Just remember, 1st Week of November is when the budget is required to be in session to the common consuel for the up coming fiscal years budget.

http://county.milwaukee.gov/CountyBudget

(Show's a detailed chart about the budget process, dates may vary).

Here's an Q&A with MCTS about the 6th edition of Buslines

CURRENTZ09

Will there be sixth edition of Buslines this year, i noticed we were on Issue 4 already and i was wondering will the 6th edition be a special Riders Guide to MCTS or a Special Yearly Review of the Transit Happenings at MCTS Yesterday at 2:16pm · Like · Edit

Milwaukee County Transit System

There will be a December issue and it is still in production. Keep watching for it on buses once December comes!

Again, no budget gets passed in September. Only the County Board has the authority to pass a budget. The County Executive proposes a budget in September (or up to October 1, as the link you provided indicates). However, the only body with authority to pass the budget is the board, and they will do so in November.

Nothing has passed yet. Period.

Again, no budget gets passed in September. Only the County Board has the authority to pass a budget. The County Executive proposes a budget in September (or up to October 1, as the link you provided indicates). However, the only body with authority to pass the budget is the board, and they will do so in November.

Nothing has passed yet. Period.

County Executive Chris Abele stated the following in his 2013 Budget Preview Address:

"During my public budget listening sessions one of the biggest issues I heard about was transit. I know how important transit is to Milwaukee County and people will be happy to know this budget does NOT include any cuts to transit and para-transit and riders will NOT be asked to pay higher fares.

I think that’s worth repeating - for the second year in a row we are not cutting routes and are not raising fares.

The Milwaukee County Transit System is a vital part of this community. It’s gets people to work and school, it helps the economy grow and I am dedicated to making sure it stays strong. As part of that effort my budget also includes a half a million dollars more for transit security. Our transit system is safe and the addition of this money will make sure it stays that way."

The Public Listening Sessions was done in August, beginning at the West Allis Library, this budget is complete & will pass with minor adjustments.

this budget is complete & will pass with minor adjustments.

Yes, it will (most likely) pass...in November. It has not already done so.

For what it's worth, other than his attitude towards transit, there's really nothing different in the process of developing and submitting this budget compared to how Scott Walker did budget proposals.

Towards the end, Walker's budgets faced more amendments by the board (including them reversing some cuts he proposed), but the county executive has always (well, for the purposes of this discussion) released a budget proposal in September, after receiving recommendations from county departments and concerned public citizens, it has always gone to the board for review, with public hearings during October/November, and been voted on in November.

This year isn't any different.

• 3 weeks later...

I did get a few photos. They didn't allow us to take photos of the room where the fareboxes are. We were told the fleet is about 386 or so which is down 2 or three dozen from a year or so ago and down from over 500 in the 80s. I think that's the only way they can still keep the antiquated fareboxes running. I did get to sit behind the wheel of one bus as did my brother and this is the photo he took of me.

That is really cool!! I wish I would've done that, especially since one of the representatives on my tour had his family there, and he let his grandsons sit behind the wheel lol. How did it feel the moment you sat behind the wheel?

Currentz_09 Open Doors MCTS Fleet Tour on Saturday September 22, 2012 @ 3:30pm

Welcome to the Exclusive Review of the MCTS Fleet Tour. I see that their are no photos uploaded of the event, so im guessing either nobody took photos or a representitive from Open Doors told you not to take ANY photos. Well, the tour was more than i expected. My tour guide was featured in one of the MCTS new commericals. The facilty was VERY SPOTLESS CLEAN, and the rumors about getting new buses are true. The New Flyer buses 5100-5300 are all Scott Walker buses, the new buses that are being purhased are Chris Abele's buses and as the tour guide stated "They are Better Buses" (So the rumors about Nova being the choice of bus may come true, we'll have to wait and

see when the bid is awarded). Also, New Transit Fare Cards are coming in Late-2013, so don't anticipate on the new fare system to come anytime soon. MCTS leases it's Tires from Firestone for a cheap $325.00, they return the leased tire when it's worn down and Firestone sends a new set of tires under the lease. MCTS also contracts shipping supplies for MPS. They also do almost anything that has to do with transit infrastructure inhouse (from the bus signs, destination signs, shelters, body work, even the new station signage that is posted at the MCTS Fleet, Main Offices on 17th/FDL & Kininickinnic are done in house, they do it All). The tour guide was very insightful about the transit system and statee "I've been here 12 years but it feels like 20" and it showed with his detailed expertise on everything that has to do with MCTS fleet maintence. It looks like the 4700-series is getting a mid-life rehab as they are trying to get aleast 10 years out of those buses. MCTS should do these tours more often as i have found a new apperication for MCTS. This is a tour that should've had a price tag on it because it was just that good. For the people that went, you were treated with an experience that may never happen again, to those that missed it, you had another opportunity and it just went out the door. THANK YOU DOORS OPEN MILWAUKEE for giving transit advocates that thought MCTS was down and out was just in a mid-life crisis that is going to be leaner and greener while making Milwaukee's local economy strong!!!!!

Nice photos! I honestly wish that I took some myself. That tour was one of the best tours I've ever been on in my entire life. I also wish that they did it for two days instead of one, but nonetheless, I enjoyed myself. That is one Saturday I will never forget!

P.S., I ended up running into the driver that was on that bus on the Rt. 23 heading home Tuesday afternoon (three days after the tour)

Nice photos! I honestly wish that I took some myself. That tour was one of the best tours I've ever been on in my entire life. I also wish that they did it for two days instead of one, but nonetheless, I enjoyed myself. That is one Saturday I will never forget!

P.S., I ended up running into the driver that was on that bus on the Rt. 23 heading home Tuesday afternoon (three days after the tour)

@MCTSfan_90, im glad you enjoyed the photos and the tour. RideMCTS.com will be bringing the Buslines Passenger Newsletter online soon!!. It's about time, but i hope that they still continue the printed version too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

That is really cool!! I wish I would've done that, especially since one of the representatives on my tour had his family there, and he let his grandsons sit behind the wheel lol. How did it feel the moment you sat behind the wheel?

It felt really cool like I was a kid on the playground. Yet I can't imagine driving a vehicle of that size. I felt like I was aa small child in a passenger car. Kind of hard to explain everything but it was awesome.

• Upvote 1

@RideMCTS.com News Section

SEWRPC to Conduct Survey of MCTS Riders

Effective Monday, October 22, 2012 the Southeastern Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission will be conducting a general survey of MCTS riders on board buses. Your time and courtesy are appreciated while they complete this project. Thank you.

@RideMCTS.com News Section

SEWRPC to Conduct Survey of MCTS Riders

Effective Monday, October 22, 2012 the Southeastern Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission will be conducting a general survey of MCTS riders on board buses. Your time and courtesy are appreciated while they complete this project. Thank you.

I'm very skeptical of the need for this. I hope I have the opportunity to fill one of these out so I can see the questions. Are they going to ask if we are satisfied with service? Thoughts anyone? Are we satisfied with the frequency? I wonder if the recommendations they make will mirror other recommendations from the past. http://www.sewrpc.org/SearchResults.htm?Search_Keywords=milwaukee%20county%20transit

The link is from the SWERPC website dealing with Milwaukee transit. The problem I see is the same problem affecting other transit systems and that is funding. What will happen when the funding for MetroExpress runs out?

Saw this article about how MCTS wants to eliminated paper transfers by creating a 1-day pass (addresses the new fare cards coming in Late 2013) and reduce fares from $2.25 (the highest in the nation right now for a bus-only transit operator) to a 2005 level $1.75

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/transit-proposal-would-reduce-bus-fares-eliminate-transfers-m57b45f-175511251.html

Saw this article about how MCTS wants to eliminated paper transfers by creating a 1-day pass (addresses the new fare cards coming in Late 2013) and reduce fares from $2.25 (the highest in the nation right now for a bus-only transit operator) to a 2005 level $1.75

http://www.jsonline....-175511251.html

Sort of similar to what Rochester NY did. They eliminated transfers, but allowed the purchase of day passes on the bus, cut the fares, and eliminated zone fares. Apparently worked for RGRTA.