MCTS: Service Disruptions and Uncertain future

Route 23 (Fond Du Lac-National) Extended Service to State Fair Revealed

Route 23: New this year, SOME Route 23 buses will operate between downtown Milwaukee and the State Fair Transit Center at Gate 4 to provide additional local service to the Wisconsin State Fair. From downtown, the Route 23 to State Fair starts from the bus stop on 2nd St. just north of Wisconsin Avenue. The buses will stop at regular Route 23 and 56 bus stops along the route between downtown and the State Fair Transit Center at Gate 4 off of 84th St.

Route 23 to State Fair Service hours:

To State Fair [Leaving from 2nd Street, just north of Wisconsin Avenue.]: 7 am to 7 pm

From State Fair [Leaving from State Fair Transit Center at Gate 4.]: 10 am to Fair Close

Route 23 to State Fair Frequency:

Service runs every 15-20 minutes until 7 pm. Return service runs every 30 minutes after 7 pm.

Note to passengers: Not all Route 23 buses will serve State Fair, look for the Route 23 bus with a State Fair destination sign. Other Route 23 buses will operate the regular route.

MCTS Passenger News Flyers of route 23 State Fair will be aboard route 23 buses beginning the week of July 23.

The 2012 MCTS Doomsday list coming sooner than you think. This is a list of projected service changes that would have took effect had MCTS and the County Government had not gotten the CMAQ grants.

I just talked to a top aide in the Gov. Scott Walker administration, and he says everything is going to be o.k.

• Upvote 3

My special doomsday 2012 transit guide will be posted by friday with a letter enclosed to the transit advocates that have watch the development of the 2012 transit budget. Also, i will post a summer transit travel guide pt. 2 detailing schedule changes coming on August 26th 2012. Also the August edition of buslines is out and the route 23 state fair flyers should be aboard buses now.

My special doomsday 2012 transit guide will be posted by friday with a letter enclosed to the transit advocates that have watch the development of the 2012 transit budget. Also, i will post a summer transit travel guide pt. 2 detailing schedule changes coming on August 26th 2012. Also the August edition of buslines is out and the route 23 state fair flyers should be aboard buses now.

Here is the 2012 Projected Doomsday list and the Summer Transit Travel Guide detailing the August 26th, 2012 Schedule Changes

MCTS Projected Doomsday 2012 (Effective Sunday January 1st, 2012).pdf

MCTS SUMMER 2012 TRANSIT TRAVEL GUIDE PT. II.pdf

Route 23 Service Stop Notices have been posted at 2nd/Wisconsin and at the old Route 18 layover terminal between Wells and Wisconsin along 2nd Street. This service is published in the August 2012 edition of Buslines (aboard buses and at MCTS Brochure Racks Now) and the special passenger announcement flyers should be aboard Route 23 buses between now through Thusday August 2nd and continue to be posted aboard buses until Sunday August 12th (the last day of State Fair). Transit collectors, please get the flyer now, because after August 12th, they will be no more. I will post photos of the Route 23 bus destination signage beginning August 2nd.

post-670-13433466214745_thumb.jpg

post-670-13433466410016_thumb.jpg

post-670-13433466596699_thumb.jpg

Regular Route 23 (Fond Du Lac-National) Destination signage. Route 23 State Fair destination signage will be posted throughout the day on Thursday. Also, the BlueLine and Route 23 alternate runs at the 68/Alder (68-Greenfield) Terminal. Example, A BlueLine will change into a Route 23 at the terminal and a Route 23 will change into a BlueLine at the foremention terminal. Most likely these are Weekday service patterns beginning after the morning rush period (9:00 am) and ending around the evening rush period (6-6:30pm) with the rest of the scheduled service operating as the route the operator is assigned to until the end of regular service.

post-670-13438455794874_thumb.jpg

post-670-13438455988945_thumb.jpg

post-670-13438456246679_thumb.jpg

post-670-13438456671543_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Official Statement from RideMCTS.com about the Reopening of the Wisconsin Avenue Bridge

Construction on the Milwaukee River Bridge on Wisconsin Avenue is scheduled to be completed in August. When the bridge re-opens, detoured buses will return to routing on Wisconsin Avenue. We do not have a confirmed date, but will update the RideMCTS.com article as soon as it is announced. Watch for temporary bus stop signs and passenger announcements. Routes affected by the detour: 7 (Festival Shuttle),10, 12, 14, 30, 31, 40, 43, 44, 46, 48, 49, 79, 90, 137 and 143.

UBUS Fall Service Start Dates

The UBUS schedule for the fall 2012 semester is as follows:42U will start running Thursday August 23, 2012.

40U EXAM schedule will run Thursday August 23, 2012 through Friday August 31, 2012.

40U will start running a REGULAR schedule Tuesday September 4, 2012.

44U and 49U will start running Tuesday September 4, 2012.

MCTS August 2012 Downtown Bus Stop Listings.pdf

Here is the destination signage for the Route 23 State Fair buses. I will get destination signage for return trip service to Downtown. The Route name for Route 23 to State Fair is Route 23 National-Greenfield (hence, this was the route name for the retired Route 18)

post-670-13439308507937_thumb.jpg

post-670-13439308711122_thumb.jpg

post-670-13439308884382_thumb.jpg

post-670-13439309079452_thumb.jpg

post-670-13439309275806_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Official Statement from RideMCTS.com about the Reopening of the Wisconsin Avenue Bridge

Construction on the Milwaukee River Bridge on Wisconsin Avenue is scheduled to be completed in August. When the bridge re-opens, detoured buses will return to routing on Wisconsin Avenue. We do not have a confirmed date, but will update the RideMCTS.com article as soon as it is announced. Watch for temporary bus stop signs and passenger announcements. Routes affected by the detour: 7 (Festival Shuttle),10, 12, 14, 30, 31, 40, 43, 44, 46, 48, 49, 79, 90, 137 and 143.

UBUS Fall Service Start Dates

The UBUS schedule for the fall 2012 semester is as follows:42U will start running Thursday August 23, 2012.

40U EXAM schedule will run Thursday August 23, 2012 through Friday August 31, 2012.

40U will start running a REGULAR schedule Tuesday September 4, 2012.

44U and 49U will start running Tuesday September 4, 2012.

Wisconsin Avenue Bridge Reopen Update

Construction on the Milwaukee River Bridge on Wisconsin Avenue is scheduled to be completed iN August 2012. MCTS has been informed it may happen Thursday, August 9, Friday August 10 or SOON AFTER. When the bridge re-opens, detoured buses will return to routing on Wisconsin Avenue. Watch for temporary bus stop signs and passenger announcements. Routes affected by the detour: 7 (Festival Shuttle),10, 12, 14, 30, 31, 40, 43, 44, 46, 48, 49, 79, 90, 137 and 143

The Wisconsin Avenue Passenger Announcements will be avaliable aboard buses beginning Wednesday August 8th, 2012. New destination signage has been appearing on some routes, as MCTS seems to be adapting CTA destination signage patterns since the introduction of revised, realigned and the introductions of the MetroEXpress on January 29th, 2012. Examples of the new destination patterns are listed below

EX: ## ROUTE NAME "flip" to TERMINAL

Route 21 (North Avenue) Destination Signage

21 NORTH "flip" to LAKE DR (Eastbound) 21 NORTH "flip" to MAYFAIR (Westbound)

Route 60 (Burleigh Street) Destination Signage

60 BURLEIGH "flip" to HUMBOLDT (Eastbound) 60 BURLEIGH "flip" to 124/Wirth (Westbound) & 60 BURLEIGH "flip" to MAYFAIR

Route 14 (Forest Home) Destination Signage

14 FOREST HOME "flip" to DOWNTOWN (Eastbound) 14 FOREST HOME "flip"to SOUTHRIDGE (Westbound)

The Wisconsin Avenue Passenger Announcements will be avaliable aboard buses beginning Wednesday August 8th, 2012. New destination signage has been appearing on some routes, as MCTS seems to be adapting CTA destination signage patterns since the introduction of revised, realigned and the introductions of the MetroEXpress on January 29th, 2012. Examples of the new destination patterns are listed below

60 BURLEIGH "flip" to HUMBOLDT (Eastbound) 60 BURLEIGH "flip" to 124/Wirth (Westbound) & 60 BURLEIGH "flip" to MAYFAIR

14 FOREST HOME "flip" to DOWNTOWN (Eastbound) 14 FOREST HOME "flip"to SOUTHRIDGE (Westbound)

I noticed this on the 21 a few days ago and I think it's a great idea. Hopefully it spreads to more of the system.

I noticed this on the 21 a few days ago and I think it's a great idea. Hopefully it spreads to more of the system.

I also think this becoming an ADA requirement for transit systems to do, im not sure but when i saw the CTA doing this practice, since the early to mid 1990s, i said if MCTS would do this, then customers wouldn't be confused on where they are headed to, plus it's a more polished signage and professional

Just got a copy of the Passenger Announcement Flyers aboard buses on Wednesday August 8th, 2012. Please note the flyer only shows a detailed map of bus stops between Cass and N. 6th st along Wisconsin Ave. I contact MCTS to see if they will have a seperate piece for the Wisconsin Avenue Bus Stop map posted on RideMcts.com and posted in this fourm listed above in post #286 for download.

post-670-13444419356923_thumb.jpg

I've seen this on the 22

22 CENTER ST "flip" to 60TH ST, though I didn't see a sign for east bound I imagine it is there as- to UWM

Wisconsin Avenue Bridge UPDATE: Buses will return to regular routing on Wisconsin Avenue effective 6 PM, August 9, 2012.

Routes 7 (Festival Shuttle),10, 12, 14, 30, 31, 40, 43, 44, 46, 48, 49, 79, 90, 137 and 143 will return to regular routing. I will have pictures of the new bridge in action coming soon

MCTS Fall Schedule Changes Effective Sunday August 26th, 2012

MCTS Schedule Changes will be implemented on Sunday August 26th, 2012, which will be released aboard buses and at MCTS Brochure Racks beginning Wednesday August 22nd, 2012. Preview schedule changes at RideMCTS.com beginning Thursday August 16th, 2012. A Travel Guide is avaliable below, also the August 2012 Downtown Bus Stop Travel Guide is included (MCTS has address these are only available for download at RideMCTS.com, but i'm sure these will be available at brochure racks around the time the new schedules are released)

MCTS SUMMER 2012 TRANSIT TRAVEL GUIDE PT. II.pdf

post-670-13446140436715_thumb.jpg

I apperciate everyone that continues to support this post. Being an transit advocate and observer for 16 years (WOW) has not been an easy task but it has been a journey that has been enjoyable. I hope to continue to be a viable and reliable source for all your transit needs and desires. I look forward in continuing to provide a common place where we can enable on discussing transit issues that are vital to fellow fourm members and to transit observers

Sincerley

CURRENTZ09

Milwaukee County Transit System has a request for proposal on their website for 40 foot low floor diesel engine buses. They want to order 50-60 buses in November 2012 for delivery in 2013, and an order of 25-30 buses mid year 2013 for delivery in 2014. My guess is these will be New Flyer because that is who Milwaukee has purchased every bus since 1996 from, again that is only speculation on my part. They do run Gillig buses for Ozaukee County route 143 but those buses were bought and paid for by Ozaukee county. I would like to see a different manufacturor only to make bus watching a little more interesting here.

Milwaukee County Transit System has a request for proposal on their website for 40 foot low floor diesel engine buses. They want to order 50-60 buses in November 2012 for delivery in 2013, and an order of 25-30 buses mid year 2013 for delivery in 2014. My guess is these will be New Flyer because that is who Milwaukee has purchased every bus since 1996 from, again that is only speculation on my part. They do run Gillig buses for Ozaukee County route 143 but those buses were bought and paid for by Ozaukee county. I would like to see a different manufacturor only to make bus watching a little more interesting here.

Technically you are speaking of Milwaukee County, and the request is at the County's site here (and you don't even have to register to see it). Based on it, apparently MCTS is acting as the agent for Milwaukee County, which will be the eventual owner of the buses.

This proposal seems to be more open ended with regard to the contract being the result of final negotiation with the successful bidder than the CTA ones (which talk more about negotiation over proposed deviations), but I am sure that as a result of federal requirements (assuming 5307 money is used, and the specifications say that federal requirements must be met), this has to be a competitive process rather than the agent saying "I like New Flyer." But, as discussed in connection with the so called consultant, the specifications probably can be written to discourage certain bidders, such as the Award Methodology that compatibility with the current fleet will be considered..

Technically you are speaking of Milwaukee County, and the request is at the County's site here (and you don't even have to register to see it). Based on it, apparently MCTS is acting as the agent for Milwaukee County, which will be the eventual owner of the buses.

This proposal seems to be more open ended with regard to the contract being the result of final negotiation with the successful bidder than the CTA ones (which talk more about negotiation over proposed deviations), but I am sure that as a result of federal requirements (assuming 5307 money is used, and the specifications say that federal requirements must be met), this has to be a competitive process rather than the agent saying "I like New Flyer." But, as discussed in connection with the so called consultant, the specifications probably can be written to discourage certain bidders, such as the Award Methodology that compatibility with the current fleet will be considered..

I didn't realize that was on Milwaukee County's website. Thanks for the info. I've never registered to see a CTA proposal and I will have to do that. I understand there has to be a competitive process and I would love to be a fly in the wall to see how proposals stack up against one another. I guess New Flyer because that is what Milwaukee County has bought and reading the proposal it looks like that experience will play a part in it. Same with the experience of operating Ozaukee County's Gilligs. Since you pointed it out to me that it is on Milwaukee County's website you have given me an idea to check the site closely to see if there is a place that gives information of bids awarded and how much the value is.