MCTS: Service Disruptions and Uncertain future

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't noticed, since Route 57 lost the lisbon branch back in March 2004, MCTS has been operating the 57 as a Two Branch Route, well that finally ends on April 8th, 2012, when all trips are scheduled to go to 92nd/Grantosa full-time, 7 days a week. The operations before March 2004, were that Route 57 splits at 60th-Center/Lisbon to either 124th-Capitol via Lisbon or to 92nd-Grantosa via Center. After March 2004, the route operated to 92nd-Grantosa weekdays as a split trip, with some trips either going to just 60th-Center (Route 22 Blaine Layover), this making the route operating off of old route patterns as a branch until about 6:30pm weekdays, where all the trips would go straight through to 92nd/Grantosa. This also created frequent headways between 60th-Center and Downtown during the day, but leaving the 92nd-Grantosa to be served every 35-40 mins (HORRIBLE). On weekends and holidays, all trips would serve the entire route full-time. Well, it seems MCTS has mainstreamed this route and this route will serve all parts of the route during all service times. To honestly tell you the truth, it made no since to have a route that has low frequncy have a midway point through out the route and then the service operated 20 mins inbetween runs, so kudos for MCTS for finally discontinuing this need for a midway point on this Route.

ROUTE 57 (WALNUT-N.92ND) CLUES.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

MCTS Straight to the Gate Brochure was released today (Tuesday April 24th, 2012), so pick up your copy now for the latest information on all 2012 summer transit service. Please remember the downtown shuttle will operate a detour until August 2012, so please watch posted signs. Also, the Route 90 (Miller Park) Route Guide is out too and details Brewers Home Game service. Happy Travels

I just caught 5336 doing a westbound on the 22. That means we have 37 of them... more shipping in? I hope so!

5354 will be the last bus to arrive this year, then we 81 more buses in 2012 (called 5400-5480 of course) equalling at total of 261 buses recieved between 2010 and 2013. Also does anybody have hard copies of the following January 2nd, 2011 Route schedules: 12, 14, 19, 33, 51, 53, 54, 57, 67, 80, please inbox me.

5354 will be the last bus to arrive this year, then we 81 more buses in 2012 (called 5400-5480 of course) equalling at total of 261 buses recieved between 2010 and 2013. Also does anybody have hard copies of the following January 2nd, 2011 Route schedules: 12, 14, 19, 33, 51, 53, 54, 57, 67, 80, please inbox me.

Oh, excellent, I thought we were only getting another 35 this year.

Saw 5341 heading down Capitol Drive near Richards Street on pull in to 35th & Fond Du Lac earlier this evening.

Most likely that was either a 10, 30, 21 or 22 running from UWM, those routes call out from FDL, so those would be the one's that were going in, most likely, it was either a 30 because a 22 or 21 would pull in mid-way through their runs or a 10, because the 10 would terminate at Humboldt during non-night rush periods and that would begin the end of the run for the 10 at that point of time, what was this when you seen 5341 heading in?

Most likely that was either a 10, 30, 21 or 22 running from UWM, those routes call out from FDL, so those would be the one's that were going in, most likely, it was either a 30 because a 22 or 21 would pull in mid-way through their runs or a 10, because the 10 would terminate at Humboldt during non-night rush periods and that would begin the end of the run for the 10 at that point of time, what was this when you seen 5341 heading in?

Not sure, I only saw it from the side cause I was waiting for a Red Line to UWM. I was over there between like 615-700 running some errands.

Not sure, I only saw it from the side cause I was waiting for a Red Line to UWM. I was over there between like 615-700 running some errands.

Most likely it was a 30 then.

EXCLUSIVE NEWS EXCLUSIVE NEWS STRAIGHT FROM THE SOURCE (NOT TO BE REVEALED)

MCTS Schedule Change will take Effective Sunday June 10th, 2012, i do not know the routes but i will investagate to find out. Also, the next Edition of Buslines is coming out in June 2012 (Last week of May or 1st week of June detailing MCTS summer services to Summer festivals. Also, the Wisconsin Avenue detour will (FINALLY) end in August, the Downtown Festival Shuttle will follow the Michgan Ave Detour until August 2012. Until then, Happy Travels

Also, the Route 90 Route Guide & the Straight to the Gate brochure is now avaiable at MCTS Brochure racks

Bit of an odd question, but does anyone (preferably an MCTS employee) have a list of the current route garage assignments? I've just been spotting buses during my daily commutes and making notes, but I'm also lazy. :P It's just an idle curiosity! Thanks in advance.

Today, about 6:30 on Wisconsin Ave, I noticed the weirdest thing... a bus on the route "43-46" servicing all of those park and ride lots. Is this happening because of the detours?

post-668-13367909356555_thumb.jpg

post-668-13367909601271_thumb.jpg

That is the last trip for both 46 & 43 it does Holt Loomis Southridge and Witnall. I had this run last year for a pick. This is normal routing.

• Upvote 1

The 43/46 combo trip has been in the schedule for a long time. I think I've got some old schedules from the early 1990s that show it. It's probably been on even longer than that.

I just pulled out an old route 46 timetable effective March 28, 1993 (first one that had the PM service operating from the Downtown Transit Center), and the 6:09 PM trip from downtown has footnote A which says "Continues on to Route 43".

• Upvote 1

The 43/46 combo trip has been in the schedule for a long time. I think I've got some old schedules from the early 1990s that show it. It's probably been on even longer than that.

I just pulled out an old route 46 timetable effective March 28, 1993 (first one that had the PM service operating from the Downtown Transit Center), and the 6:09 PM trip from downtown has footnote A which says "Continues on to Route 43".

Yep, this has happened before the construction project on I-43/94-894 and most likely will stick afterwards. I've always thought that was one of the smarter moves that MCTS and have alwayed wondered if by combining the 43-46, the can combine trips and p&r lots into 1 effiecnt route. I was hoping that when the cut the 42, the 49 would assume all of the P&R serives from Northridge to Brown Deer along Brown Deer, but not only did flyer service as elimated along Teutiona, but all services west of Green Bay on Brown Deer. My only hope is that MCTS would consider openning back up the Timmerman P&R. Also, when the 45 was in service, it ran to 124 & Capitol and some trips began or ended on 100/Lisbon

That is the last trip for both 46 & 43 it does Holt Loomis Southridge and Witnall. I had this run last year for a pick. This is normal routing.

@ Archon, how is that run? Is it at full compacity and does it make since to combine the 2 routes or continue this pattern with the combine routing being the last trip served. Also whats the run number of this trip?

@ Archon, Flossman & See Tea Eh Good Job for observing this

Here are the two MCTS NF photos I was able to get by Intermodal while traveling Greyhound between Mpls. and Chicago:

7185720628_942b3ec6b7_t.jpg 7185718706_413d10245e_t.jpg

Also pardon my laziness, but for my roster, what are the number ranges by year for the MCTS D40LFR fleet after 2010? (or 5189)

Looks like 5300-5354 for 2012 so far? Is there a 5200-52xx for 2011? I know I can probably search through the threads here but if someone knows the ranges off the top of their head already... :D

Edit: Thanks Flossman!

Edited by MVTArider

Here are the two MCTS NF photos I was able to get by Intermodal while traveling Greyhound between Mpls. and Chicago:

7185720628_942b3ec6b7_t.jpg 7185718706_413d10245e_t.jpg

Also pardon my laziness, but for my roster, what are the number ranges by year for the MCTS D40LFR fleet after 2010? (or 5189)

Looks like 5300-5354 for 2012 so far? Is there a 5200-52xx for 2011? I know I can probably search through the threads here but if someone knows the ranges off the top of their head already... :D

5100-5189 for 2010,

5200-5234 for 2011,

and now, like you said, 5300-5354 for 2012!

• Upvote 3

I saw the 5300s up close for the first time today. One bus (I don't remember the number) had a different destination sign than the others. The front sign had a higher resolution than the other MCTS buses (I think it was the Luminator Titan 24x200), and used a slightly different font (it was on route 10), and the side sign was the larger version capable of displaying two lines of text (similar to CTA's side destination signs).

That happened to be the first 5300 I saw, so I thought they might all be like that, but then I saw a few other 5300s (and even rode one) and they all had the regular signs. I'm assuming it might be a one-off, unless MCTS changed the spec mid-delivery (which I'm doubting, but you never know).

I saw the 5300s up close for the first time today. One bus (I don't remember the number) had a different destination sign than the others. The front sign had a higher resolution than the other MCTS buses (I think it was the Luminator Titan 24x200), and used a slightly different font (it was on route 10), and the side sign was the larger version capable of displaying two lines of text (similar to CTA's side destination signs).

That happened to be the first 5300 I saw, so I thought they might all be like that, but then I saw a few other 5300s (and even rode one) and they all had the regular signs. I'm assuming it might be a one-off, unless MCTS changed the spec mid-delivery (which I'm doubting, but you never know).

I'll be on the lookout for that. If I see it I'll try to get the number.

For what it's worth, it was on the 10 today (didn't catch the run number). Sign said 10 Bluemound/Brookfield Sq, with Bluemound on top, and Brookfield Sq (or maybe they spelled out "Square", don't remember) on the bottom. The route number, 10, looked fatter than on other fonts. The side sign I think also said Bluemound/Brookfield Sq all in one display.