MCTS: Service Disruptions and Uncertain future

Thanks flossman. I wondered about those signs because I've seen advertisements for ones that have multiple colors in Metro Magazine. My dad was a driver from '65-'95 or '96 so I grew up on that side of it. He also worked as a relief information agent and as a relief disburser. I think thats the correct title. I occasionally think of trying to become one just so I can get a foot in the door. Currentz does a great job. In fact when I saw the link to the guide I knew it was on the website. If he was still alive I wonder what he would think of the new color scheme and the changes we are seeing.

Here's a article about the new MetroExpress Routes Day 2

New express bus routes not always faster, passenger group says

Early trip from downtown to Bayshore 27% longer, group says

By Larry Sandler of the Journal Sentinel

January 30th 2012

A passenger advocacy group says one of Milwaukee County's three new express bus routes actually would be slower than the regular route it partly replaced.

Based on an analysis of old and new timetables, the Milwaukee Transit Riders Union found that an early morning trip from downtown Milwaukee to Bayshore Town Center in Glendale would take 38 minutes on the new Metro EXpress GreenLine (Bayshore-Airport) - 27% longer than the 30-minute trip on the same segment of the old Route 15 (Oakland Ave.-Kinnickinnic Ave.).

But a Milwaukee County Transit System spokeswoman says the timetable comparison is misleading because Route 15 was running far behind schedule. When those delays are taken into account, the GreenLine will provide faster service, bus system spokeswoman Jacqueline Janz said.

The GreenLine and its Metro EXpress sisters, the RedLine (Capitol Drive) and the BlueLine (Fond du Lac Ave.-National Ave.) debuted Sunday. They are part of a plan that leverages $19.1 million in federal funds over two years to avoid deep service cuts that otherwise would have been forced by a $6.8 million cut in state aid.

Each of the new lines partly replaced regular routes, but with less frequent stops. In some places, the local routes are still running on the same streets, giving riders a choice between regular and express service; in other places, only the express routes are running, requiring riders to walk farther to and from bus stops.

In related changes Sunday, the transit system eliminated three routes - Routes 11 (Holton St.-Greenfield Ave. / Howell Ave.), 18 (National Ave.-Greenfield Ave.) and 68 (Port Washington Road). The system created two new ones - Routes 52 (Clement Ave.-15th Ave.) and 56 (Greenfield Ave.) - and shifted some others to cover nearly all of the same territory. Only a few segments, notably the Lake Drive branch of Route 68, were dropped altogether.

The changes affect more than 1,000 bus stops. Transit system customer service agents are staffing a special hotline, (414) 937-0460, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily to field riders' questions.

For its analysis of the changes, the grass-roots riders union compared timetables for each express route and the corresponding local route at five different weekday times - early morning, morning rush hour, midday, afternoon rush hour and midevening, said riders union organizer Samuel Jensen.

Two of the three express routes came out ahead, Jensen said. From N. 124th St. to the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, the eastbound RedLine was up to 12% faster than Route 62 (Capitol Drive), particularly in rush hours, he said. And from N. 12th St. and W. Wisconsin Ave. to W. Congress St. and W. Fond du Lac Ave., the northbound BlueLine was up to 16% faster than the old version of Route 23 (Fond du Lac Ave.), logging its best time in afternoon rush hour, he said.

But from N. Water St. and W. Wisconsin Ave. to Bayshore, the northbound GreenLine was slower than the old version of Route 15 at four of the five times measured, with no change in travel time during afternoon rush hour, Jensen said.

"It kind of defies logic and transit practice" for an express route with limited stops to be slower than a regular route that stops every two blocks, Jensen said.

That analysis, however, doesn't take into account how unreliable Route 15 had become recently, Janz said.

"It was not operating correctly," Janz said. "It was not operating to the schedule."

Exact figures on delays were not available Friday or Monday, Janz said. But transit planners found several factors slowing the Route 15 buses, she said.

From September 2010 to September 2011, average weekday ridership rose 11%, from 7,866 to 8,764, Janz said. Some of those new passengers were Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design students riding the bus from a new 182-unit east side residence hall to the school's Historic Third Ward campus, she said.

Also, the number of riders using bicycle racks on Route 15 buses shot up 71%, from 7,460 in 2010 to 12,743 in 2011, Janz said.

More riders and more bikes means more time loading and unloading buses, Janz said. Other factors, such as traffic and new businesses, also could be affecting ridership and speed, she said. The GreenLine schedule takes all of those factors into account, resulting in a more realistic timetable and service that is faster in practice, she said.

Jensen remains skeptical. He says the bus system should have consulted riders in designing the new route.

Janz said transit planners did take passengers' views into account, including comments from the riders union, along with input from county officials and the Southeastern Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission. Transit staffers now are riding the buses and talking to riders about how the changes are working, she said.

Both Route 15 and Route 23 survived on the revised transit system schedule, but with altered routes and names. They are now Route 15 (Holton St.-Kinnickinnic Ave.) and Route 23 (Fond du Lac Ave.-National Ave.).

Route 52 (Clement-15th Ave) New Evening Service Added Effective Thursday February 2, 2012

Effective Thursday, February 2, 2012 evening service will be added to the Route 52 in both directions on weekdays and on weekends. Service is extended between 7:30 pm until 1:00 am Weekdays and 7:30 pm until 12:00 am Weekends. Also here are some more photos from the MetroEXpress Press Release on January 28th, 2012

post-670-13281463856197_thumb.jpg

post-670-13281463958295_thumb.jpg

post-670-1328146404836_thumb.jpg

post-670-13281464142994_thumb.jpg

post-670-13281464238025_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I made a mistake in a previous post regarding the route 143 destination signs. I combined the side and front signs. The front signs say 143 Ozaukee County Exp before they flip.

@Currentz- If I remember correctly a disburser basically works in the parts warehouse and pulls parts for the garages and fleet maintainence . As a relief my dad would be working in the area if they were short do to sick leaves, vacations,or combination. Once the assignment was done he would return to driving. This goes back almost 20 years so this may not be accurate for today. A couple of years ago the position of information agent was eliminated because of budget cuts. It was once 24/7 many years ago. The system is completely automated today. It's unfortunate. Cool photos from the ceremony.

I made a mistake in a previous post regarding the route 143 destination signs. I combined the side and front signs. The front signs say 143 Ozaukee County Exp before they flip.

@Currentz- If I remember correctly a disburser basically works in the parts warehouse and pulls parts for the garages and fleet maintainence . As a relief my dad would be working in the area if they were short do to sick leaves, vacations,or combination. Once the assignment was done he would return to driving. This goes back almost 20 years so this may not be accurate for today. A couple of years ago the position of information agent was eliminated because of budget cuts. It was once 24/7 many years ago. The system is completely automated today. It's unfortunate. Cool photos from the ceremony.

Thank you for the information @ Busfan2. Also the 143 signage are as follows 143 Ozaukee County Exp "Flip" to Downtown, 143 Ozaukee County Exp "flip" to 6th-Highland" 143 Ozaukee Co Exp "flip" to Saukville-Pt. Wash and some even go 143 Ozaukee County Exp "flip" to 5th-St. Paul "flip" via Downtown

Thank you for the information @ Busfan2. Also the 143 signage are as follows 143 Ozaukee County Exp "Flip" to Downtown, 143 Ozaukee County Exp "flip" to 6th-Highland" 143 Ozaukee Co Exp "flip" to Saukville-Pt. Wash and some even go 143 Ozaukee County Exp "flip" to 5th-St. Paul "flip" via Downtown

Yeah, they seem to have problems with the Gilligs and getting having the route to the right no matter what other info is displayed.

Yeah, they seem to have problems with the Gilligs and getting having the route to the right no matter what other info is displayed.

Those should be up for retirement pretty soon, there interior is nicer than MCTS fleet with the County Courthouse colors, not the 5100-5200 series

Those should be up for retirement pretty soon, there interior is nicer than MCTS fleet with the County Courthouse colors, not the 5100-5200 series

NABI makes the Orion VII Next Gen, and it's EPA2010 certified, so it's clean diesel... order a few of those, maybe you could increase services to try and get more money out of Ozaukee county.

NABI makes the Orion VII Next Gen, and it's EPA2010 certified, so it's clean diesel... order a few of those, maybe you could increase services to try and get more money out of Ozaukee county.

I think the Gillig's are about 10 years old. Ozaukee County owns those buses ( a total of 5) and there is always at least one New Flyer morning and afternoon because there appear to be 6 runs during both times. I would expect that Ozaukee County would do a piggyback order with Milwaukee County. I wonder what the mileage of those buses are.

Nope, NABI makes the NABI. Daimler Buses North America makes the Orion VII.

In effect, the Orion is the Mercedes of buses.

Nope, NABI makes the NABI. Daimler Buses North America makes the Orion VII.

In effect, the Orion is the Mercedes of buses.

I thought they were bought out. Huh. Well, I was wrong! Still, I think they should get maybe 10 or so Orion VIIs as part of the 136 new buses for the 143 and do a pilot program of running it more frequently. Then again, that costs money that the system really doesn't have, so I'm a dreamer!

We are pleased to inform you that MCTS will start evening service on Route 52 on Thursday, February 2. Eight new trips will be added daily (four northbound and four southbound) between 8 p.m. and midnight. The last weekday northbound trip of the evening will depart from Chicago & Drexel at 12:20 a.m. and the last weekday southbound trip from KK & Mitchell will depart at 11:41 pm. We also made efforts to improve the connections between Route 52 and the GreenLine (Bayshore - Airport Express) and Route 15 (Holton - KK).

We will distribute detailed schedule information to riders on Route 52 this afternoon and on Thursday. An announcement will also be added to Ridemcts.com. Finally, we will contact businesses along the route that contacted us for late evening service.

We regret the inconvenience that was created by the absence of service and hope this new service will meet your needs. Due to our ongoing funding shortfalls, we were not able to restore all of the evening service as it previously existed on Route 15. Nonetheless, we would appreciate any suggestions you have to improve our service to you.

@ Flossman Thank you

Then you're quite welcome! We'll have to get together sometime. Open invite for anyone in the area?

You have been saying that for the longest LOL but yes open invite for anyone!!!!!!!!!! :). Please Note: I will be in Chicago on February 6th, 2012 for the RPModerization Project Update in Evanston i am inviting anyone to a meet and greet

You have been saying that for the longest LOL but yes open invite for anyone!!!!!!!!!! :). Please Note: I will be in Chicago on February 6th, 2012 for the RPModerization Project Update in Evanston i am inviting anyone to a meet and greet

As all my friends know, I plan and then school gets in the way. The life of a grad student, sadly. I WISH I could make it down on the 6th, but I've got class! Curses!

I thought they were bought out. Huh. Well, I was wrong! Still, I think they should get maybe 10 or so Orion VIIs as part of the 136 new buses for the 143 and do a pilot program of running it more frequently. Then again, that costs money that the system really doesn't have, so I'm a dreamer!

NABI never was bought out, and Orion just had a new owner. I've been a fan of the gilligs up there, but considering your fleet is getting old (not without decent upkeep), the cost of NF to Orion is somewhat higher than not.

New Passenger Announcements Flyers are Now Available aboard Route 52 (Clement-15th Avenue) detailing the extended Evening service beginning Thursday Febraury 2nd, 2012. New Schedules Reflecting this change should be at MCTS Brochure Racks and aboard buses next week. Please Note: The Flyers are on Yellow Paper

NABI never was bought out, and Orion just had a new owner. I've been a fan of the gilligs up there, but considering your fleet is getting old (not without decent upkeep), the cost of NF to Orion is somewhat higher than not.

If you want to go back far enough, NABI (the Hungarian based company owned by some venture firm) went bankrupt in about 2004 and its assets were bought by Cerberus. Orion was originally part of the Ontario government, then at some point was bought by Western Star Trucks, which was then bought by Freightliner, which either then was or by now is a Daimler company.

• Upvote 1

Here is a detailed brochure about my Transit Travel Pack

Before you get your hopes too high on whether the RPM meetings will really result in something, you should read this post and the comments to it in the CTA Tattler, as well as CTA's statements that no source of funding has been found in conjunction with the later post that the House Committee is considering eliminating the federal gas tax as a source of transit capital funding. At least Scooter and I came to the conclusion that these hearings aren't worth attending, because CTA isn't going to get the $2 billion to $4 billion needed for the various options, and hence won't implement any of them.

Last time someone organized the scare tactic that people better attend or they will close the Jarvis station, but, that wasn't going to happen immediately, and there is very little justification for keeping it open (maybe 2 blocks from the Paulina entrance to Howard station).