MCTS: Service Disruptions and Uncertain future

I was reading over the addendums to MTS's bid for a low-floor diesel bus, and it appears that quite a lot of the questions were from Nova Bus. It would be interesting if they won the contract and we got our first new non-New Flyer buses in almost 20 years.

Oh wow, that makes me feel old...

I was reading over the addendums to MTS's bid for a low-floor diesel bus, and it appears that quite a lot of the questions were from Nova Bus. It would be interesting if they won the contract and we got our first new non-New Flyer buses in almost 20 years.

I hope Nova doesn't come to MCTS, new flyer buses have been VERY KIND to the harsh winters of Milwaukee, plus New Flyer buses look more polished and professional. New Flyer has been in Milwaukee since 1996 (WOW)

Questions:

1, How is it that the Doors Open event at the Maintenance Building starts at 10:00, but the tours doesn't start until 11:30? And 2, what exactly do they mean by "Passport site"? I looked at the actual website & the County Transit's website and got a little confused

Either Go to City Hall to get your Passport or visit DoorsOpenMilwaukee.org for more information on how Passports work

Remember the MCTS Fleet Tour is Saturday 22, 2012 ONLY

The Downtown Transit Center History Museum is Open Saturday & Sunday from 10-5 (This may be the last time this will EVER Happen, as the transit system is proposed to be torn down in the near future, so visit to learn a future historic landmark)

Either Go to City Hall to get your Passport or visit DoorsOpenMilwaukee.org for more information on how Passports work

Remember the MCTS Fleet Tour is Saturday 22, 2012 ONLY

The Downtown Transit Center History Museum is Open Saturday & Sunday from 10-5 (This may be the last time this will EVER Happen, as the transit system is proposed to be torn down in the near future, so visit to learn a future historic landmark)

Thanks, I got it all figured out now. I just came from the Maintenance Building for the first tour. I almost ended up being the only one until one of the representatives or drivers, I can't remember which, came along with his family.

I was very impressed with what the tour guide discussed from how the mechanics spray painted the buses to hearing about how people forget the fact that their bikes are on the bike racks (Which I THINK, I forgot that fast, 120 bikes are left on the racks per year! Shocking! But overall, the tour was absolutely amazing. I'm really interested on being a part of the transit family now! I soooo hope they do it again next year!

And as for the Transit Center, that sucks completely! I think I'll go later today B)

Toured the MCTS maintenance building today. Very impressed and learned a lot! So interesting to see how the buses are maintained, bus stop signs are created, how buses get painted, etc. Saw some old bus stop signs from defunct routes like the 11 and 68 laying in a pile and wanted to snatch one lol also sad to see some 4300's and even a few 4400's parked outside for retirement.

• Upvote 1

I'm told that the next batch of buses MCTS buys will NOT be from New Flyer. Apparently they aren't very happy with the D40LFRs they've received over the last couple of years.

So, a Nova bus bid makes a lot of sense.

I'd love Novas to operate around here. Get some fresh faces in the fleet! I'm just hoping Gillig doesn't get the contract. I hate the 40-foot Advantage.

The link for the addenda is here.

The only thing I noted is that one mentions NABI and the other Nova, and NABI is crabbing about the details of the 12 year structural warranty. Any particular reason (or 226 reasons) why?

Other than say the particular radio system, I'm surprised that there is that much crabbing over standard specs, but so be it.

The only thing I noted is that one mentions NABI and the other Nova, and NABI is crabbing about the details of the 12 year structural warranty. Any particular reason (or 226 reasons) why?

Other than say the particular radio system, I'm surprised that there is that much crabbing over standard specs, but so be it.

I've been amazaed by that myself. At this point in the process I also wonder how it can be said the new buses will not be New Flyer? The bids are open until October 11th. The tour guide on the tour I took said they don't know where the new buses will be coming from which makes sense since the RFP is still out there. The tour was great. My guide showed us the portions of the lifts that were disabled after they got rid of the artics. He says he hopes they don't get more but it has been talked about.

If I had to take a wild guess, it might be because they're still smarting over the artics they shipped the CTA being defective.

One other thing I find great is that the buses are required to operate both in 110 degree weather and subzero weather. Ah, Milwaukee, we're a great place to test the extremes of what transit vehicles can handle. :P

Currentz_09 Open Doors MCTS Fleet Tour on Saturday September 22, 2012 @ 3:30pm

Welcome to the Exclusive Review of the MCTS Fleet Tour. I see that their are no photos uploaded of the event, so im guessing either nobody took photos or a representitive from Open Doors told you not to take ANY photos. Well, the tour was more than i expected. My tour guide was featured in one of the MCTS new commericals. The facilty was VERY SPOTLESS CLEAN, and the rumors about getting new buses are true. The New Flyer buses 5100-5300 are all Scott Walker buses, the new buses that are being purhased are Chris Abele's buses and as the tour guide stated "They are Better Buses" (So the rumors about Nova being the choice of bus may come true, we'll have to wait and

see when the bid is awarded). Also, New Transit Fare Cards are coming in Late-2013, so don't anticipate on the new fare system to come anytime soon. MCTS leases it's Tires from Firestone for a cheap $325.00, they return the leased tire when it's worn down and Firestone sends a new set of tires under the lease. MCTS also contracts shipping supplies for MPS. They also do almost anything that has to do with transit infrastructure inhouse (from the bus signs, destination signs, shelters, body work, even the new station signage that is posted at the MCTS Fleet, Main Offices on 17th/FDL & Kininickinnic are done in house, they do it All). The tour guide was very insightful about the transit system and statee "I've been here 12 years but it feels like 20" and it showed with his detailed expertise on everything that has to do with MCTS fleet maintence. It looks like the 4700-series is getting a mid-life rehab as they are trying to get aleast 10 years out of those buses. MCTS should do these tours more often as i have found a new apperication for MCTS. This is a tour that should've had a price tag on it because it was just that good. For the people that went, you were treated with an experience that may never happen again, to those that missed it, you had another opportunity and it just went out the door. THANK YOU DOORS OPEN MILWAUKEE for giving transit advocates that thought MCTS was down and out was just in a mid-life crisis that is going to be leaner and greener while making Milwaukee's local economy strong!!!!!

post-670-13485136856691_thumb.jpg

post-670-13485152674849_thumb.jpg

post-670-13485152972688_thumb.jpg

post-670-13485153378589_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I did get a few photos. They didn't allow us to take photos of the room where the fareboxes are. We were told the fleet is about 386 or so which is down 2 or three dozen from a year or so ago and down from over 500 in the 80s. I think that's the only way they can still keep the antiquated fareboxes running. I did get to sit behind the wheel of one bus as did my brother and this is the photo he took of me.

post-805-13485089937773_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

I did get a few photos. They didn't allow us to take photos of the room where the fareboxes are. We were told the fleet is about 386 or so which is down 2 or three dozen from a year or so ago and down from over 500 in the 80s. I think that's the only way they can still keep the antiquated fareboxes running. I did get to sit behind the wheel of one bus as did my brother and this is the photo he took of me.

Nice! Did they let you push any buttons? :P

Nice! Did they let you push any buttons? :P

No they didn't. In fact when we got permission the first thing we were told is don't touch anything. The bus was running. I was so thrilled to do that that I forgot to look in the mirrors to try and get an idea of what it's like to view the passengers and view traffic. Back when I was a kid in the late 80s I sat behind the wheel of a 3500 series neoplan on my dads layover.

I got recognized today by a driver. Now, I'm not the kind to get flustered (I was in the ComedySportz minor leagues and have done a lot of acting in my life), but I was honestly flustered and briefly without words! She thought it was a good article and we chatted until my stop, so that was interesting.

Currentz_09 Open Doors MCTS Downtown Transit Center on Sunday September 23, 2012 @ 11:30pm

With the Downtown Transit Center proposed to be demolished (in 2013), it was nice to see an old friend, as the Harbor Lights (2nd Floor) Transit Display was open during Open Doors. If you got the MCTS 150 Years History Book, it was Bascially a visual display of the Booklet. Once the Transit Center is torn down, it is rumored that all the Display material will be packed up in storage at the Milwaukee Historical Society's Basement, most likely not to see the light of day for many years to come. Here is an Historical Tribute to the Downtown Transit Center, once home to innovative thinking and job creation to just a Transit Hub with ghost passengers.

P.S., You may contact the Milwaukee Historical Society, MCTS, The Art or Public Muesums to find a new home for this historical display. My suggestion, MCTS creates an Transit Historical section down at the Maintence Fleet Building and begins tours of the building frequently (probably 2 to 3 times a year).

post-670-13486120308442_thumb.jpg

post-670-13486120410127_thumb.jpg

post-670-13486120666461_thumb.jpg

post-670-13486120839566_thumb.jpg

post-670-13486121056395_thumb.jpg

post-670-13486121261941_thumb.jpg

post-670-13486121393172_thumb.jpg

post-670-13486121615711_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1