MCTS: Service Disruptions and Uncertain future

I think that they will run the Regular 23 to 68/Adler and the State Fair 23's operating parallel the regular 23's and BlueLine, i think sending every 3rd run would make it every hour on the hour, making it an unattractive option if you are spending time downtown and going to State Fair, plus the Downtown-National Avenue corridor is Very popular for State Fair travelers, the 18 was packed every day of the fair, so for them to be sending every 3rd bus to State Fair as a local service isn't going to work

Good point. They did say Gate 4, and I can't quite remember where that is. MCTS does get additional revenue for the festivals, so running a few extra buses wouldn't be a problem, especially since they're already running frequent flyers and the Watertown Plank shuttle.

Good point. They did say Gate 4, and I can't quite remember where that is. MCTS does get additional revenue for the festivals, so running a few extra buses wouldn't be a problem, especially since they're already running frequent flyers and the Watertown Plank shuttle.

Gate 4 is on S. 84th & Main St (Just North of Greenfield Avenue)

Wisconsin State Fair Park Gates.pdf

I had a feeling back in January that once State Fair came around we would have a mess on our hands. Well its becoming a reality. Expect crowded special 23's to State Fair which will run infrequent, as well as the 56, which is already infrequent, since everyone else who is on the regular 23 and BlueLine will be forced to get off on 68th to transfer to one of these routes in order to complete their journeys.

• Upvote 1

Don't plan on any 23 or Blue line to be extended The summer paddles are out and there is no add on for state fair. and I dough they will add a stub bus from 70 to 81st they will just use the 56 and put usually 2 extra buses on around 10.pm. When I drove 18 during state fair most where usually off by 2nd & national not many road to 2nd & Wis.. the extras 18 buses only went to 2nd and National.

Don't plan on any 23 or Blue line to be extended The summer paddles are out and there is no add on for state fair. and I dough they will add a stub bus from 70 to 81st they will just use the 56 and put usually 2 extra buses on around 10.pm. When I drove 18 during state fair most where usually off by 2nd & national not many road to 2nd & Wis.. the extras 18 buses only went to 2nd and National.

But my question is, why did MCTS mention this special service in the June Edition of Buslines, if you say there is no add for State Fair, then why would they address this (and publicly in print) that the 23 would extend to State Fair? What are summer paddles? Also another thing is that Gate 4 is on 84th & Main St, so it would make the 81st Street Layover (Gate 1) not in service because Gate 4 is usually where MCTS layover it's shuttle and flyer buses to making it fesible to layover the extended 23 over to Gate 4.

• 2 weeks later...

It's true, the 23 going to State Fair will operate as a shuttle from 2nd-Wisconsin, terminating at 2nd/Wells (the Route 18 former terminal)as stated from MCTS themselves. I hope that a special Route 23 State Fair Timetable is released as this added service may confuse not only regular riders, but visiting riders as well.

We will see if that truly happens around Mid to Late July if that comes into fruitation. Also, be sure to watch out for details about the 2013 county budget as transit changes may be in store, they may not but we never know after 11 years of either fare raises, route cuts or both at the same time.

Route 23: New this year, SOME Route 23 (Fond du Lac - National) bus service will be extended during the Fair from downtown Milwaukee, and will stop at the State Fair Transit Center at Gate 4. From downtown, the State Fair bound Route 23 will stop at all regular Route 23 bus stops, starting from 2nd Street just north of Wisconsin Avenue. West of 68th Street, the bus will stop at regular Route 56 bus stops until it reaches Gate 4 at the State Fair Transit Center. Service hours for the State Fair bound Route 23 leaving from 2nd and Wisconsin Avenue are 7 am to 7 pm. Return trips from the State Fair Transit Center at Gate 4 will be made from 10 am to fair close.

Not all Route 23 buses will serve State Fair, look for the Route 23 bus with a State Fair destination sign.

Note to Route 23 passengers: Passengers boarding a Route 23 north of Wisconsin Avenue will need to transfer to the State Fair bound Route 23 at 2nd Street and Wisconsin Avenue to continue west of 68th Street on Greenfield Avenue to State Fair. Passengers riding northbound on the return trip from the fair will need to transfer at Plankinton and Wisconsin Avenue to continue west and north of Wisconsin Avenue on Route 23.

These are going to be tripper buses. Probably out of KK they don't even have the paddles printed yet for them

? what are paddles and clearly, if they are posting this information in detail, then the service must be true in exsistance and i do agree, these will run out of KK, i can see FDL doing most of the work for the full 23, i wonder how are they going to run this special service, as i suggested, a revised State Fair Timetable of the 23 should be in order to not confuse riders

Paddles are why drivers use to stay on time they have times point on them. Usually not the same time points as a public time table

Probably goes back to the old days when the driver's run schedule actually was taped to a board. However, elsewhere, I remember the "tumble over" schedule in a plastic envelope that slid into a holder on the dashboard.

The CTA bus drivers today report that the recent equivalent is the gps saying that they are +4, or that much late.

Had a question and Answer session from MCTS about the Route 23 extended service to State Fair Timetable

CURRENTZ_09 QUESTION

Will there a special Route 23 Timetable in Late July-Early August to reflect the extended service to State Fair this year?

MILWAUKEE COUNTY TRANSIT SYSTEM'S ANSWER

There will not be a special timetable printed to included State Fair service. We will most likley print a seperate, simpler peice to help notify customers of the new service.

So now we have our answer and any hopes of seeing how they are going to operate this special extended service. I hope they rethink that decision and decide to create that special timetable instead of giving a special passenger notice flyer of the extended service, this service should be explained in detail, it's enough that the 23 got realigned, to confuse the rider that boards the 23 south on the southwest corner of 2nd and Wisconsin to catch the 23 to Greenfield-68th and tell them to go to the northwest corner to catch a 23 to State Fair will confuse riders even more. a detailed map and a detailed timetable to reflect this added service would be nice to not confuse regular riders and vistors that spend time downtown before they go to the fair

More detailed Answer & Question session with MCTS about the Extended Route 23 to State Fair

CURRENTZ_09 QUESTION

ok, will the scheduled times posted and a detailed map be on the special piece?

MILWAUKEE COUNTY TRANSIT SYSTEM'S ANSWER

Much like other festival service, a specific schedule has not been created, rather this service will run a "memory" schedule meaning the bus will run at intervals, i.e. every 15 mins, every 20 mins, etc. A map will most likley be included, however we are still working on developing the piece.

Here is the possible destination signage for Route 23 to State Fair

23 Fond Du Lac-National "flip" to State Fair

or

23 Fond Du Lac-National "flip" to State Fair "flip" via Greenfield

Possible destination signage for Route 23 from State Fair

23 Fond Du Lac-National "flip" to Downtown

or

23 Fond Du Lac-National "flip" to 2nd-National (@Archon mention that most Route 18 State Fair trips started and ended here)

or

23 Fond Du Lac-National "flip" to 2nd-Wisconsin

• 2 weeks later...

This is what could happen to MCTS in the next couple of years if a dedicated source of funding isn't created. You thought the troubles to create the 2012 budget was crazy, watch the plans ahead for the next 5 years ahead.

MCTS Five-Year Financial Sustainability Analysis (June 22, 2012) Meeting

From the Director, Department of Transportation, and the Managing Director, Milwaukee County Transit System (MCTS), submitting an informational report regarding the MCTS Five-Year Financial Sustainability Analysis.

The report is expected to be discussed at the July 11 meeting of the board's transportation committee.

Also, 2012 Budget Amendment 1A060: From the Director, Department of Transportation, and the Managing Director, Milwaukee County Transit System (MCTS), submitting an informational report regarding the availability of a new feature for computer and smartphone users on the MCTS release of a live feed of real-time arrival and location information for public use.

MCTS Five-Year Financial Sustainability Analysis Report.pdf

MCTS Five-Year Financial Sustainability Analysis Attactment.pdf

MCTS Real-Time Bus Arrival and Location Information for Public Use Report (5-24-1012).pdf

This is what could happen to MCTS in the next couple of years if a dedicated source of funding isn't created. You thought the troubles to create the 2012 budget was crazy, watch the plans ahead for the next 5 years ahead.

As I noted at least in PMs, I'm not in any position to tell Milwaukee to do.

However, the long form report:

• while saying that the current recovery ratio is 33%, which is probably average, and does talk about attracting riders, doesn't say anything about a fare increase. Instead it wants to put all the burden on the property tax levy.
  • the other alternative is essentially the CTA doomsday plan of 2005: we cut service, and that cuts passenger revenue, and that cuts the matching subsidies, so we have to go out of business (or, in CTA's case, they proposed cuts in 2005 4 times more than the actual deficit).

Again, I don't know the situation in Milwaukee, but note that when CTA actually had to make cuts in 2010, they didn't lose much of any ridership. So, these projections may be overblown. Pace may be more analogous to Milwaukee, but even when they made cuts in 2010, it was basically to nonproductive routes (which is suggested in this report).

And, at least Milwaukee is trying to project 5 years in advance, while CTA has been accused of using all sorts of one timers just to fool themselves and the RTA that it has a balanced budget. Then the supposed deficit is even bigger next year.

More detailed information about the Route 23 (Fond Du Lac-National) extended service to State Fair. It seems that as State Fair approaches, more details about this special service is being release.

Route 23: New this year, SOME Route 23 buses will operate between downtown Milwaukee and the State Fair Transit Center at Gate 4 to provide additional local service to the Wisconsin State Fair. From downtown, the Route 23 to State Fair starts from the bus stop on 2nd St. just north of Wisconsin Avenue. The buses will stop at regular Route 23 and 56 bus stops along the route between downtown and the State Fair Transit Center at Gate 4 off of 84th St.

Route 23 to State Fair Service hours:

To State Fair [Leaving from 2nd Street, just north of Wisconsin Avenue.]: 7 am to 7 pm

From State Fair [Leaving from State Fair Transit Center at Gate 4.]: 10 am to Fair Close

Route 23 to State Fair Frequency:

Service runs every 15-20 minutes until 7 pm. Return service runs every 30 minutes after 7 pm.

Note to passengers: Not all Route 23 buses will serve State Fair, look for the Route 23 bus with a State Fair destination sign. Other Route 23 buses will operate the regular route.

The 2013 proposed transit was released on Tuesday July 10th 2012 with no service changes proposed. The Three MetroEXpress routes are expected to get increased service levels next year due to additional funding from the CMAQ grants issued in 2012. Anticipated 2013 implementation of the 2013 budget is concure with the CMAQ grants are to begin Sunday January 27th 2012, which MCTS will also make its regular system schedule changes

The 2013 proposed transit was released on Tuesday July 10th 2012 with no service changes proposed. The Three MetroEXpress routes are expected to get increased service levels next year due to additional funding from the CMAQ grants issued in 2012. Anticipated 2013 implementation of the 2013 budget is concure with the CMAQ grants are to begin Sunday January 27th 2012, which MCTS will also make its regular system schedule changes

Where can I get a copy of those documents, if it don't mind me asking?

Was at Southridge today. What a joke of a bus stop and what a joke of an ADA ramp. Missed the 55 cause I thought he was just looping around to get in line rather than leaving. Please tell me this isn't permanent!

I am driver on 55 but was off Thursday. It looks to us drivers that this is going to be the permanent place for the buses as they just repaved and put in concrete under it. They do not want the buses at Southridge

I will post the information Friday morning

Here is the 2013 budget proposal. Also enclosed is a revised Greyhound Express timetable for Milwaukee-Chicago. The last time i was in Chicago i missed my ride home because that trip wasn't an Express, so i had to wait almost 2 hours (close to midnight no less) to get back to Milwaukee. Please note, some trips are not express and have a different boarding area in Chicago, not the Express boarding area, so please check the schedule and make sure that your arrival or departure meets your requirements. Also, some trips have been elminiated, so please check the schedule carefully. Greyhound DOES NOT have a printed timetable, so i created one for people that use transit to travel.

Milwaukee County Transit System Proposed 2013 Budget.pdf

Greyhound Express Chicago-Milwaukee Summer 2012.pdf

Route 23 (Fond Du Lac-National) Extended Service to State Fair Revealed

Route 23: New this year, SOME Route 23 buses will operate between downtown Milwaukee and the State Fair Transit Center at Gate 4 to provide additional local service to the Wisconsin State Fair. From downtown, the Route 23 to State Fair starts from the bus stop on 2nd St. just north of Wisconsin Avenue. The buses will stop at regular Route 23 and 56 bus stops along the route between downtown and the State Fair Transit Center at Gate 4 off of 84th St.

Route 23 to State Fair Service hours:

To State Fair [Leaving from 2nd Street, just north of Wisconsin Avenue.]: 7 am to 7 pm

From State Fair [Leaving from State Fair Transit Center at Gate 4.]: 10 am to Fair Close

Route 23 to State Fair Frequency:

Service runs every 15-20 minutes until 7 pm. Return service runs every 30 minutes after 7 pm.

Note to passengers: Not all Route 23 buses will serve State Fair, look for the Route 23 bus with a State Fair destination sign. Other Route 23 buses will operate the regular route.

Route 23 (Fond Du Lac-National) 2012 State Fair Service.pdf