MCTS: Service Disruptions and Uncertain future

I didn't realize that was on Milwaukee County's website. Thanks for the info.

Now that you mention it, there is also a Business->Bids and Specifications link on ridemcts.org, which also gets you the document. I thought of the County first since MCTS is the operator for the county.

I don't see where either has a Bid Awards or Press Release link, where the award would eventually be announced, but I'm sure you can find something along those lines.

As I read through the RFP for the new buses in Milwaukee I must say it is interesting because everything down to fasteners and wiring harnesses are being specified. One thing of interest is the proposal calls for a Hanover destination sign that we have seen on bus 5318. Also in the same section is requirements for a rear route number sign. This will be nice from a passenger perspective in downtown Milwaukee.

As I read through the RFP for the new buses in Milwaukee I must say it is interesting because everything down to fasteners and wiring harnesses are being specified. One thing of interest is the proposal calls for a Hanover destination sign that we have seen on bus 5318. ...

Most of the stuff is based on the Standard Bus Procurement Guidelines, which the APTA site indicates were revised in 2011 (link to Word Document). I was surprised that even Pace specifications for paratransit vehicles conform to this format, but the new ones even apply to them.

However, specifying a particular type of destination sign, rather than one meeting FTA ADA requirements, is a departure from that pattern.

Since buses are pretty standard, one would wonder why the TAs have to do this.* However, CTA pointed out that the NABIs were the first articulated buses bid on the basis of this standard, and it did have the legal effect of giving CTA grounds for saying that they did not meet structural requirements, as required under the 12 year warranty.

_______

*The genesis of the original guidelines apparently was that buses in NYC and Toronto fell apart (such as the Orion VIs in Toronto).

You may Preview Schedules online at RideMCTS.com or Download the Service Pack listed Below. I have included detailed information about the Doors Open Milwaukee 2012 MCTS Tour on Saturday September 22, 2012. Happy Travels

MCTS August 26th, 2012 Schedules Service Pack.pdf

MCTS SUMMER 2012 TRANSIT TRAVEL GUIDE PT. II (Updated August 16th, 2012).pdf

2012 Doors Open Milwaukee (MCTS Fleet Building Tour).pdf

Greyhound Chicago-Milwaukee Express Timetable (Updated August 15th, 2012).pdf

I noticed they started scavenging the InfoDev passenger counters from the scrapped 4300s and putting them into in-service buses... I noticed today that 5200 and 5204 have the counters on them.

Where are those placed in the bus so I can look for them because I don't believe I've ever seen them.

Where are those placed in the bus so I can look for them because I don't believe I've ever seen them.

I've spotted the counters above the rear door on 5200 and 5204 so far, and I assume they have the floor-level ones up front. They look just like little black boxes with a couple little LED-like things on them.

Great News for our Transit System

Announcement from RideMCTS.com

To better serve our customers this fall, we will be adding several new trips for a limited time. These trips will be added in four different segments starting in August with the last addition in mid-September. For new trip times you can call our 24-hour automated BusLine at 414-344-6711. Once all of the trips have been added after September 16, 2012, the posted timetables online will be updated to reflect the new times (please note that the PDF's with NOT be updated). Details on which routes are affected are as follows:

Starting August 27th through early December 2012, new trips will be added to improve service during the following times:

Route 28 weekdays between 7 am and 8 pm

Route 56 weekdays between 6 am and 6 pm

Route 27 Saturdays between 8 am and 4 pm

Starting September 2nd through early December 2012, new trips will be added to improve service during the following times:

Route 28 Saturdays between 9 am and 5 pm

Route 56 Saturdays between 8 am and 6 pm

Route 28 Sundays between 11 am and 6 pm

Starting September 9th through early December 2012, new trips will be added to improve service during the following times:

Route 15 Saturdays between 7 am and 6 pm

Route 54 Saturdays between 7 am and 7 pm

Route 15 Sundays between 7 am and 6 pm

Route 54 Sundays between 10 am and 6 pm

Starting September 16th through early December 2012, new trips will be added to improve service during the following times:

Route 55 weekdays between 6 pm and 10 pm

Route 55 Saturdays between 6 pm and 10 pm

Route 55 Sundays between 9 am and 6 pm

Special Route 40 (Ryan-College Flyer) Reflected on August 27th, 2012 Timetable

An addition AM Trip leaves from Ryan Rd P&R at 7:02 AM and afternoon trips 3:38pm & 4:33pm from 10th & Courthouse are extra trips due to the Rawson Avenue Detour. These trip will be discontinued when the Rawson Avenue detour ends. Watch for Passenger Announcement

Please Note: No Passenger Announcements or Revisied Printed Timetables have been released about the additional service, but ill be keeping a watchful eye on these service adjustments.

Also on the Morning of Thursday August 30, 2012

Good morning, MKE. We have an exciting announcement! This morning MCTS is proud to launch our new mobile website. The mobile site features many of the helpful tools from our full site, but in a version that is easier to navigate from your smart phone or tablet. So, grab your mobile device, visit www.RideMCTS.com and let us know what you think!

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't want to post about this until it actually ran, and I'm not usually one for self-promotion (nothing much to promote, really! :P ), but the MCTS internal newsletter featured an article about me this month as the "next generation of transit riders." The even more awesome news (at least, to me) is that the article is also going to be run in October's BusLines along with a picture of my clearly-handsome mug!

I was honestly just stoked to provide a rider's insight into the system, and that alone was a great opportunity.

The full text of the article:

Riders are transit's next generation

Transit is deeply rooted within families around the Milwaukee area. Children remember what they do with their parents when they are growing up. Sometimes how you get there is more memorable than where you go when you're a kid, and for many who fall in love with taking the bus at a young age, it becomes a way of life.

One young man named Adam is an avid bus rider today, which makes sense in light of the fact that he's the grandson of former MCTS operator. Adam carries on a passion for riding the bus that started while his grandfather was still driving.

A native Milwaukeean, 25 year old Adam recalls his earliest memories of riding the bus from when he was about 6 years old. He rode with his parents while his grandfather was at the wheel. His most vivid memories of those early trips as a boy were of riding the bus to the Central Library and the Milwaukee Public Museum. Riding the bus with his family when he was young made him a life-long transit rider. Now, while attending college, Adam uses the bus to get everywhere he needs to go and chooses not to own a car.

Remembering buses from his childhood, Adam mentioned riding the RTS's, Orion V's and the Crown-Ikarus articulated buses before they were retired. The Orion V's were his grandfather's favorite to drive. He says he misses the articulating buses, but of all the MCTS vehicles he remembers, the new buses are his favorite, with their new interior colors and the dual "stop requested" signs.

When asked about his favorite route, Adam couldn't choose just one. He did mention that he really likes the new MetroEXpress routes.

Adam had great things to say about the MCTS operators he's met along the way (certainly including his grandfather), "…every single one of them has been amazingly helpful to both myself and other riders who have questions or need directions."

Regarding the future of MCTS, Adam mentioned he is looking forward to new fareboxes and real-time tracking. He noted that the convenience of knowing exactly when the next bus will arrive will be fantastic.

We appreciate riders like Adam who remind us that while providing great transportation service, we have the potential to establish lasting and sometimes life-long appreciation for transit.

• Upvote 1

I didn't want to post about this until it actually ran, and I'm not usually one for self-promotion (nothing much to promote, really! tongue.gif ), but the MCTS internal newsletter featured an article about me this month as the "next generation of transit riders." The even more awesome news (at least, to me) is that the article is also going to be run in October's BusLines along with a picture of my clearly-handsome mug!

I was honestly just stoked to provide a rider's insight into the system, and that alone was a great opportunity.

The full text of the article:

Congrades on the feature article, how did this come about?

@ Flossman, will you be at Open Doors at the Milwaukee Transit Fleet Building on September 22nd?

@Flossman- Congratulations! I look forward to seeing this in print. If you are refering to the quarterly newsletter that goes out in the mail I'll see that also since the company has sent it addressed to my mom since my dad passed.

@Flossman and Currentz- I plan on going to Fleet Maintainance during the doors open event. I went last year loved it and can't wait. They didn't take us through the stores division warehouse area but I got to look through the glass to see that area of interest cause my dad subbed in that area in the early 90s.

• Upvote 2

Congrades on the feature article, how did this come about?

@ Flossman, will you be at Open Doors at the Milwaukee Transit Fleet Building on September 22nd?

MCTS's communications manager remembered me from last year's Dump The Pump event (which caught me off-guard, I didn't think I was that memorable!) and she felt I was a good person to get a transit rider's "inside" perspective from.

And I will definitely be at Fleet Maintenance for the Open Doors event. Wouldn't miss it for the world!

• Upvote 1