More hybrids coming

Busjack

In time, if the LSD corridor became BRT, most if not all artics would most likely get rebranded. That would help with a storage/fleet issue having buses at NP all one type of bus. That looks like what they might do with the 53 pilot BRt's at 103rd. Even though they may take care of the #192 (or the #6 for now)those BRT's would run it, even though it's not a BRT route. Any type of garage incompatible with artics would have to pick up additional 40 foot service, making #49 a shared route between NP and Kedzie. Np and the artic garages would become more artic. It would be a challenge to find extra space in the garages, but I know there's space now for about 75 40 foot buses at 77th. With 7 garages it would be hard to increase fleets, that's why I'd suggest a partial Nova replacement with artics. If they used a limited local service like they used to on the #80,#49 and #55 they could wipe out half to 3/4 of local service. That's the only way it could currently work without too much overcrowding at the garages. With the speed of BRt, less of those buses would be required. In the end you could possibly come out close to the 34 buses mentioned on the #49. BTW, in the budget I was reading that they might possibly want to replace Archer and bring an 8th garage back, but it would seem more like a wish list to me. They'd like to replace 77th also which is from 1908. It hard to imagine horsedrawn streetcars once used Archer garage. (is that really true?) They must not have been too advanced 100 years ago.

Speaking of 192, I don't think it's all artic anymore. Seen a few 1000's earlier. And as far as 53 artics being upgraded ,when are those 10 artics going to come back to 103rd and from which garage? We've been losing them even after they announced the BRT test which seems a little backwards and confusing.

One monkey wrench with that scenario is North Park operates more than just the North Lake Shore Express routes, not all of which use artic buses, and the great bulk of the local routes it has doesn't have ridership numbers to the degree of justifying artics as we now see on 22 or 151 in various hours if you're looking to make efficient use of them. I really don't see good use of artics on say the 49B or 93, both of which I live near now. And the city would have a heck of a time adding parking restrictions in very many places on the north side to institute any BRT conversion on one or more of the heavier local routes that hasn't been mentioned in a current or prior BRT proposal. So where are you going to place those locals to keep from having a bunch of artics running half empty or less?

The #93, #96 (if it lives through next summer) as well as anything going thru evanston could easily be transferred to FG. They could interline routes like they do now to eliminate a few buses. That would only be 40-50 buses max on top of what runs today. Send over a couple more Optimas to Fg and you gain space in the yard. It could actually happen that way anyway if we see cuts in the summer. The bigger challenge would be what to do with the #11's and #36's. I'd just leave them be and keep some 40 footers at NP. As far as the #49B, I believe the BRT study does go to Howard. There may be enough demand to send a few BRT's to Howard, but they would probably work better there running locally as most of the #49B ridership is local. The idea in all this would be not to completely give NP artics, but to increase the percentage of them. That could also be done in other parts of town. Although it would be easier than the North side which has a higher percentage of incompatible garages. That's the only way it could be done, barring them building an 8th garage.

The #93, #96 (if it lives through next summer) as well as anything going thru evanston could easily be transferred to FG. They could interline routes like they do now to eliminate a few buses. That would only be 40-50 buses max on top of what runs today. Send over a couple more Optimas to Fg and you gain space in the yard. It could actually happen that way anyway if we see cuts in the summer. The bigger challenge would be what to do with the #11's and #36's. I'd just leave them be and keep some 40 footers at NP. As far as the #49B, I believe the BRT study does go to Howard. There may be enough demand to send a few BRT's to Howard, but they would probably work better there running locally as most of the #49B ridership is local. The idea in all this would be not to completely give NP artics, but to increase the percentage of them. That could also be done in other parts of town. Although it would be easier than the North side which has a higher percentage of incompatible garages. That's the only way it could be done, barring them building an 8th garage.

That's fine and dandy, but looking at the overall ridership patterns I don't see the system operating efficiently with anything past the 200-300 range basically not much farther past those additional ones they're supposed to be getting now. If anybody's looking to go beyond that then the move should be in the direction of expansion and that possibly might mean going back to an 8th garage both of which means money CTA claims not to have for operations. As things currently stand and a possibility a decrease in service is still in play, it's unrealistic to expect the fleet to be so artic heavy because with what cuts may be possible on top of what was already made last year you're running into possibly turning more people off from the system than you have sticking around trying to cram into buses that take longer to come.

That's fine and dandy, but looking at the overall ridership patterns I don't see the system operating efficiently with anything past the 200-300 range basically not much farther past those additional ones they're supposed to be getting now. If anybody's looking to go beyond that then the move should be in the direction of expansion and that possibly might mean going back to an 8th garage both of which means money CTA claims not to have for operations. As things currently stand and a possibility a decrease in service is still in play, it's unrealistic to expect the fleet to be so artic heavy because with what cuts may be possible on top of what was already made last year you're running into possibly turning more people off from the system than you have sticking around trying to cram into buses that take longer to come.

It's probably a realistic assumption to assume there will be service cuts next year. If you saw the sparring match between Claypool and the union on Chicago Tonight, it looks as if there will be little to no concessions. I was kind of surprised they would lean more towards service cuts than fare hikes, but Claypool has his eyes focused on labor. A good way to solve an excessive benefits package is to just eliminate the jobs themselves. I don't think we'll be worrying about too much capacity, but not enough.

...but Claypool has his eyes focused on labor....

Charles Thomas said on Channel 11 that this was basically cover to blame the unions for a fare hike.

In that there are various instances of Claypool not being a man whose word is worth anything, as demonstrated by several Hilkevitch pieces where the inconsistencies were pointed out (although not realized as coming to that conclusion), the fare hike will probably happen, but put off until summer (from the reports that pension bond costs have gone down, apparently the Real Estate Transfer Tax is generating a bit more than previously).

I don't think we'll be worrying about too much capacity, but not enough.

That's assuming that a similar numnber of riders will stick around for this financial craziness which I don't see happening if the way I hear people talking is any indication. I hear folks speaking of getting a car or at least carpooling it if they look to cut service too far beyond what they left standing from last year's cuts. Nobody wants to stick around for a system that cuts service, raises fares or both every couple years. These people will probably stomach a fare increase but the consensus with a lot of them is what is there left for them to cut and not leave the system not worth using? The mindset is they may as well have a car if there's going to be nothing left worth riding and they have to pay out more money for it.

• 2 months later...

It's been quiet about any procurement of two Electric Buses for trials with the CTA(Bids were due November 29, 2011). Taking a quick look at the info, it looks like the CTA designed it for possibly New Flyer or NOVA Bus to bite on...

C11FT101141639 Request for Proposals (RFP) for the Manufacture and Delivery of up to Two (2) Low Floor, 35-40 foot, Accessible, Air Conditioned, Electric Transit Buses. (REVISED)

It's been quiet about any procurement of two Electric Buses for trials with the CTA(Bids were due November 29, 2011). Taking a quick look at the info, it looks like the CTA designed it for possibly New Flyer or NOVA Bus to bite on...

C11FT101141639 Request for Proposals (RFP) for the Manufacture and Delivery of up to Two (2) Low Floor, 35-40 foot, Accessible, Air Conditioned, Electric Transit Buses. (REVISED)

It isn't on the "Contract Opportunities" page (like the 1050 buses kept being rolled over every month in 2005), so what is your source for this????

It isn't on the "Contract Opportunities" page (like the 1050 buses kept being rolled over every month in 2005), so what is your source for this????

This was from the link that Kevin posted on the topic about Hybrids off to the left on the main screen...

14 October 2011 - By Kevin Zolkiewicz

U.S. Senator Dick Durbin announced this week that the CTA will receive $30 million in federal funding for the purchase of an undisclosed number of 60-foot hybrid articulated buses. Durbin’s office says that the buses will replace “a like amount” of 40-foot buses.

Based on cost estimates for hybrid articulated buses, the funding is expected to net approximately 30 buses. With CTA’s 40-foot Nova LFS buses nearing end-of-life, the purchase could allow CTA to begin retirement of that series.

Last year, CTA secured federal funding for the purchase of two electric buses. CTA is currently in the process of procuring those buses, with bids due on November 29, 2011.

Also announced was $2 million in funding for a study on the Lakefront Corridor to “determine the feasibility and appropriate level of investment for high capacity transit connections.” CTA will also receive $6 million in funding for a rehab of the Wilson Red Line station.

Discuss this in our forum

I see another artic shuffle coming. Of course the new ones will probably go to North Park, but if 77th is recieving some, I see North Park's lowest 30 getting moved there, or maybe 103rd's lowest 30 sent to 77th with North Park sending its lowest 30 to 103rd to make up nad maybe a few extras. Maybe something like...

Kedzie 4000-4057

77th 4058-4087

103rd 4088-4135

North Park - 4137-4207 and then 0000 - 0030 (using 0000's until we find what the new fleet numbers will be for this series)

With the new BRT service coming, I thought these new artics would be part of that service, so it would be only fitting that all of these new buses go to 103rd.

With the new BRT service coming, I thought these new artics would be part of that service, so it would be only fitting that all of these new buses go to 103rd.

IF they were to make it here in time for the start of service in fall. As far as I know the manufactuers aren't even identified (although it's not likely New Flyerrolleyes.gif ) . Plus CTA planned on using the ones we have already from in the first place

...As far as I know the manufactuers aren't even identified (although it's not likely New Flyerrolleyes.gif ) . ...

Any particular reason why? Since the manufacturer's history is a CTA criterion, that would seem to limit it to NF or Novabus.

As I previously noted, the question may also be whether this has to go out to bid, or CTA can buy up some options. More than likely, the outstanding options are NF ones.

Any particular reason why? Since the manufacturer's history is a CTA criterion, that would seem to limit it to NF or Novabus.

As I previously noted, the question may also be whether this has to go out to bid, or CTA can buy up some options. More than likely, the outstanding options are NF ones.

Main point I was making is that the new artics probably wouldn't be here in time for BRT service seeing as its already January and CTA hasn't confirmed, selected or started deliveries from a manufacturer so they wouldn't even be here in time