Preserved "Old Look" Propanes?

Paul Fortini

I know that the Illinois Railway Museum now has a preserved "New Look" propane bus. And I know that the CTA itself has preserved the New Look/Old Look hybrid bus #8499 (see my photo here http://www.flickr.com/photos/52209513@N03/6307219583/in/photostream ) which had a propane engine for awhile.

Have any of the "Old Look" propanes http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwilson1949/3648039755/in/set-72157612263266080 been preserved? Are any at museums? Has the CTA held on to any of these like they did with #8499?

I remember these buses from when I was a little kid. They ran on the #91 Austin, plus a few routes out of Jefferson Park.

I know that the Illinois Railway Museum now has a preserved "New Look" propane bus. And I know that the CTA itself has preserved the New Look/Old Look hybrid bus #8499 (see my photo here http://www.flickr.com/photos/52209513@N03/6307219583/in/photostream ) which had a propane engine for awhile.

Have any of the "Old Look" propanes http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwilson1949/3648039755/in/set-72157612263266080 been preserved? Are any at museums? Has the CTA held on to any of these like they did with #8499?

I remember these buses from when I was a little kid. They ran on the #91 Austin, plus a few routes out of Jefferson Park.

They do? (pertaining to the first sentence) As far as I know the #8700's were the only propane New Looks for CTA. That would be great if they had one. #8715 was formerly at Chicago Historical Bus Museum. I was told they got rid of it. Could they have acquired that? IRM has #3177 which is a "New Look" but that is a diesel. They also have the Queen Mary but it needs alot of work. The CTA collection includes #301, #8499, #3706. As far as old look propanes it was reported Chicago Historic bus Museum had some, but they have gotton rid of alot of buses. BTW, I like your Flickr photos!! It's hard to believe some of the current (still active) drivers have driven those. Those old buses bring back alot of memories.

BTW, I like your Flickr photos!! It's hard to believe some of the current (still active) drivers have driven those. Those old buses bring back alot of memories.

Especially the first one of the 157 with the style of destination sign used on the Union and NW Station routes. I have a very long story about a ride in such a bus about 1972, but it is very long.

Also, the shots of the Isabella station, which reportedly and appears to be the one on the intro to the Bob Newhart Show (now on MeTV).

As far as existing old propanes, I wouldn't know for sure, but the impression I got during 1972-1974 was that they were in a big hurry to get rid of them. It wasn't like in 1976, when they were retiring the 3300s while they still had enough in them that shuttle services bought them. I was going to say similar to the 6000s, except that someone had a picture of one 6000 in the training center.

They do? (pertaining to the first sentence) As far as I know the #8700's were the only propane New Looks for CTA. That would be great if they had one. #8715 was formerly at Chicago Historical Bus Museum. I was told they got rid of it. Could they have acquired that? IRM has #3177 which is a "New Look" but that is a diesel. They also have the Queen Mary but it needs alot of work. The CTA collection includes #301, #8499, #3706. As far as old look propanes it was reported Chicago Historic bus Museum had some, but they have gotton rid of alot of buses. BTW, I like your Flickr photos!! It's hard to believe some of the current (still active) drivers have driven those. Those old buses bring back alot of memories.

IRM acquired CTA propane bus #8715, GMC "New Look" 9799, TMC #4550, and RTA GMC "New Look" 8006 from the Chicago Historical Bus Museum. Per the September 2011 "Rail & Wire", "Unfortunately a permanent location for the (bus) museum could not be secured, so the coaches were stored in rented locations that were not conducive to receiving visitors. The lack of visitors resulted in very few donations. The economy over the past few years didn't help either. It became necessary for the (CHBM) museum to deaccess many of their 'fringe' coaches... In the end it was not feasible to continue the venture."

Thanks for the compliments! I'm glad you liked my photos. I shot most of them circa 1979-1981 on an old 110mm instamatic camera. I was still in high school at the time. I can believe that some of the still active drivers remember having driven some of those buses. The last Flxible "fishbowls" were retired in 1991 and the last GMCs went in 1996 or 1997.

It was late August when I was there. I did see 4550 and 8715. I did not see 9799 on that day. So if I understand this post, then 4550 and 8715 are now out at Union Il ????

Yes, as I mentioned 4550, 8715, 9799, and RTA/Pace 8006 are at IRM. I was there on one of the days "Leviathan" was operating and all except 8006 were outside.

8006 is still painted in RTA colors of orange, brown, and blue--a terrible combination if there ever was one (but very appropriate for the 1970s!). IRM's "Rail & Wire" says that 8006 was a former Nortran bus, delivered in 1976. But I don't believe that Nortran ever owned this bus. I believe the only buses Nortran ever bought new were the 400 series blue "Fishbowls", plus the short Flxibles for Wilbus.

So to get back on topic then, it looks like the CTA only kept 1 propane Old Look. Any ideas where they're storing it?

IRM's "Rail & Wire" says that 8006 was a former Nortran bus, delivered in 1976. But I don't believe that Nortran ever owned this bus. I believe the only buses Nortran ever bought new were the 400 series blue "Fishbowls", plus the short Flxibles for Wilbus.

Those were purchased and owned by the RTA. The looked real sharp when new, but apparently were abused.

I thought the first ones went to West Towns, because they were running borrowed albino CTA 9000s. Eventually they got spread out to the other carriers, including Nortran.

IRM acquired CTA propane bus #8715, GMC "New Look" 9799, TMC #4550, and RTA GMC "New Look" 8006 from the Chicago Historical Bus Museum. Per the September 2011 "Rail & Wire", "Unfortunately a permanent location for the (bus) museum could not be secured, so the coaches were stored in rented locations that were not conducive to receiving visitors. The lack of visitors resulted in very few donations. The economy over the past few years didn't help either. It became necessary for the (CHBM) museum to deaccess many of their 'fringe' coaches... In the end it was not feasible to continue the venture."

Thanks for the compliments! I'm glad you liked my photos. I shot most of them circa 1979-1981 on an old 110mm instamatic camera. I was still in high school at the time. I can believe that some of the still active drivers remember having driven some of those buses. The last Flxible "fishbowls" were retired in 1991 and the last GMCs went in 1996 or 1997.

Wow! They got #8715. I thought it might have went to the shredder. A member of this forum claimed to have bought #9799. The bus was about in the best condition of any former CTA New Look and was driven over from it's former California home to CHBM with #375. (There link, buses are in the column at left) #375 was in poorer condition, hopefully it's just in storage. #301 is by far in the best condition for that bus series. The CTA collection was stored at Kedzie, but they have moved to Chicago the last I heard. You can find pictures of them here (among other pictures for the CTA "new looks") when they visited Forest Glen on the back fence for a while when the Novas were still fairly new.

I know that the Illinois Railway Museum now has a preserved "New Look" propane bus. And I know that the CTA itself has preserved the New Look/Old Look hybrid bus #8499 (see my photo here http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream ) which had a propane engine for awhile.

Have any of the "Old Look" propanes http://www.flickr.co...157612263266080 been preserved? Are any at museums? Has the CTA held on to any of these like they did with #8499?

I remember riding these as a little kid too when they were on the #55 Garfield, #79 79th street, #36A State(now #29 State)and they were fun to ride in! I miss those old green and white propanes

I remember riding these as a little kid too when they were on the #55 Garfield, #79 79th street, #36A State(now #29 State)and they were fun to ride in! I miss those old green and white propanes

I might have mentioned previously that I remember the old propanes on 55 with bad suspensions going over the bad pavement in Washington Park during the days of the no bra look. It was not pretty.

How bad were the suspensions on the Flxible propanes?

My experience was after they were about 18-20 years old. Of course, the real issue was the bad condition of the roads, which didn't appear to get fixed until Daley took the Olympic committee to tour that area.

Does anyone have or know someone who has video of these propane buses with sound? Ive always had the curiosity to hear what those buses sounded like since I was never fortunate to experience riding these buses.. I do have a video of Chicago buses that has a few minutes of Flxible propane action, along with some 1972 footage taken at FG when the GMCs were arriving. In it you see 8300s, an 8400 in the video, and an ex 6500 GMC painted yellow, another shot of a propane flying down Belmont west of Western. But Ive always wanted to hear what these buses sounded like. If anyone has a trace of a propane video with sound that exists please let me know.

The real problem (besides home video not being common or even existing in 1950-1974) is that they were so common in Chicago that they sounded "like buses." All I can say is that the few diesels (like the 100 series that replaced the propanes on 69 routes) were louder and much smellier.

My other impression is that, like the L cars, they had medium green interiors and seemed dark, at least compared to the light blue of the early New Looks.

I know that the Illinois Railway Museum now has a preserved "New Look" propane bus. And I know that the CTA itself has preserved the New Look/Old Look hybrid bus #8499 (see my photo here http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream ) which had a propane engine for awhile.

Have any of the "Old Look" propanes http://www.flickr.co...157612263266080 been preserved? Are any at museums? Has the CTA held on to any of these like they did with #8499?

Preserve The Old CTA Propanes! Now, wouldn't that be nice? I like that pic of old Chicago Transit Authority Flxible #8460 from October 1967! Wonder if you've got Flxible #8255 & Flxible #5702?

Preserve The Old CTA Propanes! Now, wouldn't that be nice? I like that pic of old Chicago Transit Authority Flxible #8460 from October 1967! Wonder if you've got Flxible #8255 & Flxible #5702?

Just so you know, the shot of #8460 isn't mine. I linked to it as an example. Now the shot of #8499 is mine. That one I shot at Northeastern Illinois University in 1981. I was 18 then and had an 110mm Kodak Instamatic camera.

4550 is not at Irm. And Never will be i am the one who owns that bus it is on lan to Chbm and everone that made the deal to irm told irm about 4550. So irm was thinking that they will get it.. I dont think so.. Right now that bus doesnt run due to a air leak.

I hope you keep her running as long as the almighty $$ allows you to. Hopefully the air leak isn't too expensive of a fix. I was wondering, were you going to rebrand her with the CTA Logo and the number 4550 and clear off the CityLink logos and 2202 number stamped on her for service in Peoria?

Also, how is she mechanically? Is everything working well aside from the air leak in I'm guessing the brakes?