Preserved "Old Look" Propanes?

Paul Fortini

My other impression is that, like the L cars, they (#8700 propanes) had medium green interiors and seemed dark, at least compared to the light blue of the early New Looks.

So what new looks are you saying had a blue interior? I remember taking a picture of the interior of #8499 and seeing this same blue looking interior on the metal parts (window area) It was different than the lighter shamrock shake colors of the interior #300's. On the other hand I do vaguely remember blue interiors on the former west towns #800's that were at Fg around 1983. I've never seen a #100, #8700 or #8500 interior. I'll see if I can find this picture and I'll post it.

So what new looks are you saying had a blue interior? I remember taking a picture of the interior of #8499 and seeing this same blue looking interior on the metal parts (window area) It was different than the lighter shamrock shake colors of the interior #300's. On the other hand I do vaguely remember blue interiors on the former west towns #800's that were at Fg around 1983. I've never seen a #100, #8700 or #8500 interior. I'll see if I can find this picture and I'll post it.

I'm not really into various shades of pastels whether they were light blue or light green. I was thinking more of the 8800s (given my reference to route 55) and maybe 100s (although by the time they were reallocated, the interiors were more like "soot;" in fact soot). Anyway, reliance would have to be on memory going back 37 or so years. At least the various "earth tones" of the 1972-1977 buses are more memorable (and, for some unknown reason, still retained in the seats of the 5000s).

In any event, they weren't the more oppressive greens of the old look buses and 6000 series cars.

The real problem (besides home video not being common or even existing in 1950-1974) is that they were so common in Chicago that they sounded "like buses." All I can say is that the few diesels (like the 100 series that replaced the propanes on 69 routes) were louder and much smellier.

My other impression is that, like the L cars, they had medium green interiors and seemed dark, at least compared to the light blue of the early New Looks.

I don't know if you remember that around 1973 or so, if these buses were on the #55 Garfield route on the way to the Museum Of Science & Industry? I do(when I was still a kid)

I don't know if you remember that around 1973 or so, if these buses were on the #55 Garfield route on the way to the Museum Of Science & Industry? I do(when I was still a kid)

See my "braless" comment above. I remember when the route was just to 55-Morgan, and then extended to Cicero-Archer (only 55 Cicero on the signs) with the opening of the Dan Ryan L

Also had to drop off a couple of people at Midway, and then trudge through the snow to get back to 55th to catch the bus. Unfortunately, no Midway station then.

Just so you know, the shot of #8460 isn't mine. I linked to it as an example. Now the shot of #8499 is mine. That one I shot at Northeastern Illinois University in 1981. I was 18 then and had an 110mm Kodak Instamatic camera.

And I like that pic you took of #8499(also known as "Frankenbus" to many)BTW, did you know that this bus was built in 1960 with a 1950s propane-style body & a 1960s New-Look front end? It started out as a normal long propane bus before being converted.

And I like that pic you took of #8499(also known as "Frankenbus" to many)BTW, did you know that this bus was built in 1960 with a 1950s propane-style body & a 1960s New-Look front end? It started out as a normal long propane bus before being converted.

Lot of mythology about that bus, including there are some "before" pictures on the web with a standard front, and it was a diesel (see old CTA Bus Roster).

Lot of mythology about that bus, including there are some "before" pictures on the web with a standard front, and it was a diesel (see old CTA Bus Roster).

I vaguely remember reading that #8499 had been delivered with an "Old Look" front end.

And at one time it appears that above the belt rail, #8499 was white and below the belt rail it was a much darker shade of green http://gallery.bustalk.info/displayimage.php?album=83&pos=1

I vaguely remember reading that #8499 had been delivered with an "Old Look" front end.

And at one time it appears that above the belt rail, #8499 was white and below the belt rail it was a much darker shade of green http://gallery.busta...?album=83&pos=1

The top is cream, which is reflected in most of the later pictures. The green looks pretty standard (at least for the late 60s).

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

The old propanes (except 8200's and 8400's) did not have air-ride. They had what was called a "Torsilastic" suspension, basically springs and rubber. At the time, that was considered state-of-the-art, as air-ride didn't come into use until the mid-50's. But yes, they were much harder riding, especially in later years as the rubber wore out and the springs got less springy. Plus, CTA maintenance at 69th St Garage was known for being less than optimal in the 1960's-1970's.The ones at Archer and North Park tended to be much better riding.