CTA Day Pass

aaron

Can you still buy them at the O'hare CTA station. They don't sell them at Cumberland Station any longer. There was a sign on the machine that said you had to walk over to Jewel to buy it...

One day passes are not available from any cta machine. They can only be bought from retail locations such as Jewel, CVS etc. This happened at the last price rise when the cost went from a whole dollar amount ($5) to $5.75.

One day passes are not available from any cta machine. They can only be bought from retail locations such as Jewel, CVS etc. This happened at the last price rise when the cost went from a whole dollar amount ($5) to $5.75.

NYCT made their "Fun Pass" hard to get as a means to kill them. There were only available from credit card-only Metrocard machines, not the larger ones that take plastic and cash. You just has to know that - not discoverable from the MTA. (I have tried pay-per ride Metrocard and CTA cards in each other's system and they don't work).

I have a Groupon e-mail that says "Get $10 Off Your First Groupon!". So the first 3 day pass for $9 will likely cost me nothing. I was also going to buy 2 one-day passes for my visit in August. So the total nominal value of $25.50 will cost me $8. I just hope Groupon comes out with it before July 1.

One of the "geniuses" on the CTA board (I forget which one, maybe Carole; this was back in the day) thought that the proposed day pass fare increase from $5 to $6 was too steep, and only wanted the increase to be 15%, to match the other increases when the last round of fare increases went in way back when.

So, to save everybody 25 cents per pass, CTA sacrificed the convenience of selling them from the pass vending machines, since they cannot accept coins, nor can they dispense coins as change.

One of the "geniuses" on the CTA board (I forget which one, maybe Carole; this was back in the day)...

Does anyone know when this happened? If it was Carole, it was at least 4 years ago, so I suppose the empty machines were discovered late. The "history" page has the last fare hike in 2009.

Does anyone know when this happened? If it was Carole, it was at least 4 years ago, so I suppose the empty machines were discovered late. The "history" page has the last fare hike in 2009.

This was whenever the last fare hike took place. Maybe 2007 or 2008-ish? That's when the 7-day pass was split into CTA only and a CTA/Pace combo pass, and they got rid of the 2- and 5-day passes, and eliminated any bonus for using Chicago Card over regular transit cards (remember when the fare on a Chicago Card was 25 cents less than using a transit card?). You haven't been able to buy a 1-day pass from a machine for several years, I know that.

This was whenever the last fare hike took place. Maybe 2007 or 2008-ish? That's when the 7-day pass was split into CTA only and a CTA/Pace combo pass, and they got rid of the 2- and 5-day passes, and eliminated any bonus for using Chicago Card over regular transit cards (remember when the fare on a Chicago Card was 25 cents less than using a transit card?). You haven't been able to buy a 1-day pass from a machine for several years, I know that.

The 7 day pass split was a different story, in that Pace refused to accept the CTA 7 day when neither the RTA nor the CTA would reimburse them. After the usual political bickering, CTA and Pace decided on a joint pass that cost $5 more.

That's probably irrelevant to this topic, but as you indicate, the 1 day pass issue is probably a couple of years before that one.

Guest ctafan630

Can you still buy them at the O'hare CTA station. They don't sell them at Cumberland Station any longer. There was a sign on the machine that said you had to walk over to Jewel to buy it...

Walk over to Jewel. Gotta lover the CTA. The Jewel is either at Cumberland and Lawrence or Foster and Harlem. That is quite a walk.

These are the Jewel-Osco locations nearest to O'Hare. They are all 3 miles away, however...

10203 W. Grand Ave.(Grand and Manheim Rd) Franklin Park, IL 3.10 Mi.

4734 N. Cumberland(Pueblo and Lawrence) Chicago, IL 3.41 Mi.

1500 S. Lee St.(Lee and Oakton) Des Plaines, IL 3.93 Mi.

The 7 day pass split was a different story, in that Pace refused to accept the CTA 7 day when neither the RTA nor the CTA would reimburse them. After the usual political bickering, CTA and Pace decided on a joint pass that cost $5 more.

That's probably irrelevant to this topic, but as you indicate, the 1 day pass issue is probably a couple of years before that one.

Different story, sure, but I'm pretty sure that all those fare changes went into effect at the same time.

The increase in the day pass from $5.00 to $5.75 and 7 day from $20 to $23 took place on 1/1/2009. This was the same date Pace stopped accepting the 1, 3 and 7-day cta passes and when the cta/Pace 7 day pass was introduced at $28.

The increase in the day pass from $5.00 to $5.75 and 7 day from $20 to $23 took place on 1/1/2009. This was the same date Pace stopped accepting the 1, 3 and 7-day cta passes and when the cta/Pace 7 day pass was introduced at $28.

IIRC, it took some time for Pace and CTA to arrive at the $28 pass after Pace refused taking the $23 one. Obviously, the two agencies couldn't come to a conclusion until one put the foot down.

But that isn't worth the time looking it up.

IIRC, it took some time for Pace and CTA to arrive at the $28 pass after Pace refused taking the $23 one. Obviously, the two agencies couldn't come to a conclusion until one put the foot down.

But that isn't worth the time looking it up.

Try this:

http://www.transitchicago.com/news/default.aspx?Archive=y&ArticleId=2192 11/13/2008 CTA and Pace Bus Create Joint 7-Day Unlimited Ride Pass

and

http://www.transitchicago.com/news/default.aspx?Month=12&Year=2008&Category=2&ArticleId=2256 12/29/2008 CTA Reminds Customers of 2009 Fares

Pace had already decided to stop taking the 1, 3 and 7 day passes from 1/1/2009 and cta and Pace had already come up with a solution - the 7 day cta/Pace pass before that date. There was no gap.

Pace started accepting the "less than 30 day" passes on 9/23/2004.

http://www.transitchicago.com/news/default.aspx?Archive=y&ArticleId=1030

You got a Pace source? Not CTA revisionism.

And, if nothing else, the need for an intergovernmental agreement indicates that CTA didn't just inaugurate the $28 pass on its own, just because it was raising other fares.

Not that it is horribly relevant now--the issue being can the initiator of the thread buy a 1 day pass at Dominick's across the street. And commit the heresy of crossing over into Park Ridge.

You got a Pace source? Not CTA revisionism.

And, if nothing else, the need for an intergovernmental agreement indicates that CTA didn't just inaugurate the $28 pass on its own, just because it was raising other fares.

Not that it is horribly relevant now--the issue being can the initiator of the thread buy a 1 day pass at Dominick's across the street. And commit the heresy of crossing over into Park Ridge.

From the Pace 2009 budget book (published fall 2008)

CTA 7-Day/U-Pass/Visitor and Fun Passes

Since the last fare increase in 2001, farebox revenues de-

clined from $34.4 million to the budgeted level of $29.7

million for 2009. A major factor in this decline has been

due to Pace’s acceptance of CTA sold 7-Day/U-Pass and

Visitor/Fun passes. While Pace was reimbursed (albeit at

a loss) by the RTA for acceptance of these passes for 2005

through 2007, as of the date of this budget document we

have received no reimbursement from the RTA for 2008.

Pace estimates losses from acceptance of these fare media

will exceed $12.6 million through 2008.

Pace has held numerous meetings with CTA and RTA

officials in an effort to resolve the reimbursement issue,

to date without success. Unless the matter is resolved,

the Pace Board has indicated these CTA fare instruments

will no longer be accepted as payment on Pace services

effective January 1, 2009.

Should it come to this, it would be unfortunate for the

customers that rely on these passes to transfer between

systems and inconsistent with the goal of a seamless

transit system. However, Pace cannot afford to provide

what amounts to free trips to over 20% of its ridership

base.

If these passes are no longer accepted on Pace, riders

needing to ride both the CTA and Pace may use cash,

transit cards or monthly passes.

From the Pace 2009 budget book (published fall 2008)...

If these passes are no longer accepted on Pace, riders

needing to ride both the CTA and Pace may use cash,

transit cards or monthly passes.

That's what I meant...debunking the assertion made that the $28 pass was linked to a CTA fare hike overall.

The only point of dispute is the "if these passes are no longer accepted at Pace." Maybe that eventuality was avoided, but only as a result of the intergovernmental agreement and the quoted Pace threat.

That's what I meant...debunking the assertion made that the $28 pass was linked to a CTA fare hike overall.

The only point of dispute is the "if these passes are no longer accepted at Pace." Maybe that eventuality was avoided, but only as a result of the intergovernmental agreement and the quoted Pace threat.

This discussion the iniator of this thread sparked along with the kerfuffel CTA finds itself in with trying to convince people it will be able to provide them with adequate alternatives during the five month rebuilding of the Dan Ryan branch of the Red Line just points even more to how inefficient Chicago area transit is by having four separate transit boards (CTA, Metra and Pace along with the board that supposedly gives financial oversight RTA). Just goes to show the state should have found a way to institute one single agency manned by real transit professionals that forced the City and Burbs to work together in this one area at least while it had a chance to do so rather than capitulate and allow for the creation of the current mess which is Chicago transit where the transit agencies are bastions for politically appointed yes men with zero transit experience that helped fuel and entrench this Us vs. Them nonsense that keeps transit in the area, both city and suburbs, from being world class state of the art status as it has the potential to be.

• Upvote 1