Pace Construction

Busjack

1 hour ago, Pace831 said:

rosemont.jpg

The "CTA Islands" are the gated entrance to the parking lot, not bus bays. Their alignment apparently won't change significantly.

But they apparently will be bus bays. One of the things mentioned in the  announcement was "Realigned bus lanes from the Tollway to minimize conflicts with parking lot traffic." Currently, buses that come off the tollway have to cross over at the top of the Kiss & Ride Lot circle (yellow line below) with buses leaving the islands to go out the River Road exit (red line below). Putting the tollway bus islands in the orange zone would eliminate that crossover.

rosemont.jpg

5 minutes ago, Busjack said:

But they apparently will be bus bays. One of the things mentioned in the  announcement was "Realigned bus lanes from the Tollway to minimize conflicts with parking lot traffic." Currently, buses that come off the tollway have to cross over at the top of the Kiss & Ride Lot circle (yellow line below) with buses leaving the islands to go out the River Road exit (red line below). Putting the tollway bus islands in the orange zone would eliminate that crossover.

rosemont.jpg

I'm not sure how that proves they will be bus bays. That would do nothing to "minimize conflicts with parking lot traffic". I can't tell what they mean by "realigned bus lanes from the tollway", since that isn't shown in the diagram. Maybe they will have that lane merge rather than turn into the parking lot exit. I just don't see how else they could "minimize conflicts with parking lot traffic" if they follow the diagram, since the terminal still has the same basic layout. There will be "two new bus bays for boarding/alighting and one new bus bay for layovers". You can see in the aerial image there are six currently not counting the farthest one where shuttles stop. The diagram shows the two new bays being added there, and the new bay for layovers looks to be on the NW side of the terminal where it says "Stage 1A Sidewalk". 

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, west towns said:

Im thinking the cta bays are for the pRking ticket machines.  Cumberland has where you pay going out if they do this at rosemont it makes sense

No way. It is an open parking lot, there are either coin boxes or meters on the sidewalk next to the station, and most importantly, the exit is to River Road not backwards into the tollway.

10 minutes ago, Busjack said:

No way. It is an open parking lot, there are either coin boxes or meters on the sidewalk next to the station, and most importantly, the exit is to River Road not backwards into the tollway.

Yes, there are gates at the parking lot entrance. You get a ticket at the entrance, pay at the kiosk by the station, and insert the paid ticket at the exit gate for it to open. This arrangement is due to the parking time limits. I guess the Pace buses must have a transponder to open the gate to get from the tollway to the terminal.

13 hours ago, Pace831 said:

Yes, there are gates at the parking lot entrance. You get a ticket at the entrance, pay at the kiosk by the station, and insert the paid ticket at the exit gate for it to open. This arrangement is due to the parking time limits. I guess the Pace buses must have a transponder to open the gate to get from the tollway to the terminal.

rosemont.jpg

I stand corrected. There are no gates, but it looks like there were at one time. The signs say to enter your parking space number at the machine by the station. But, we still don't know what the purpose of maintaining the islands is. Looking closer at the construction notice, it shows a gate at the right entrance lane and some sort of long rectangle in the left lane. Both exit lanes have gates. I can't tell what is supposed to be in the wide center island. Who knows whether this is a realistic diagram though. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

1 hour ago, Pace831 said:

I stand corrected. There are no gates, but it looks like there were at one time.

The only reason I was about to buy what you previously said is that the CTA Park and Ride list had higher rates for over 14 hours, as opposed to the former $4/day.

Only Cumberland has a minimum fee if you lost your ticket.

On the rest, I agree we will have to wait.

If someone can make more money off parking im sure they will do it.  My vote is they put in ticket machines and charge fees similar to cumberland then it evens things out from free loaders trying to max out om the time or take someone  spot opened up without paying

27 minutes ago, west towns said:

If someone can make more money off parking im sure they will do it.  My vote is they put in ticket machines and charge fees similar to cumberland then it evens things out from free loaders trying to max out om the time or take someone  spot opened up without paying

They already charge about  the same as Cumberland, except the lost ticket minimum and more than one day fee.

Rosemont and cumberland are not the same.  At cumberland you are charged for actual time with differences over 12 hrs.  At rosemont you are asked at paybox amount of time but you can pay for say up to 12 hrs and stay say 14.  

Also for those parking say in afternoon can get a spot which probaly already has been paid for and most likely the parking company will not check.

In another word people are taking advan tage of the open lot concept and they are losing revenue.

With rosemont going to pay when exiting they can regulate the exact cost and charge every vehicle using the lot.  Sounds like a no brainer.  

53 minutes ago, west towns said:

Rosemont and cumberland are not the same.  At cumberland you are charged for actual time with differences over 12 hrs.  At rosemont you are asked at paybox amount of time but you can pay for say up to 12 hrs and stay say 14.  

Also for those parking say in afternoon can get a spot which probaly already has been paid for and most likely the parking company will not check.

In another word people are taking advan tage of the open lot concept and they are losing revenue.

With rosemont going to pay when exiting they can regulate the exact cost and charge every vehicle using the lot.  Sounds like a no brainer.  

The issue with that proposal is that people exiting the lot might hold up buses going from the terminal to the tollway. That might actually be the reason the pay structure isn't the same as Cumberland.

Many Metra lots have daily parking regulated by space number, similar to Rosemont. Everyone knows the "arrive late" trick, but apparently those who collect the parking fees don't lose enough to justify changing systems. They are still collecting one fee per space, not per car. Rosemont might be a little different accounting, because it is an hourly rate.

11 hours ago, Pace831 said:

Many Metra lots have daily parking regulated by space number, similar to Rosemont. Everyone knows the "arrive late" trick, but apparently those who collect the parking fees don't lose enough to justify changing systems. They are still collecting one fee per space, not per car. Rosemont might be a little different accounting, because it is an hourly rate.

Essentially, Cumberland (and Howard) were set up like a parking garage, because they are parking garages, while Rosemont, Skokie, and Wilmette CTA, and virtually every Metra parking lot were set up as a parking lot; first with coin slots and more recently replaced by an electronic machine and often a pay by phone app.

The other thing to figure is that a garage needs an attendant 24/7, while in the days of the coin slots, the cops checked the lots about at 10:30 a.m. and ticketed the cars that hadn't paid. In effect, if someone paid at 1:30, the parking lot operator (in Metra's case usually the municipality, except where Metra owned the lot) got $4 the next day at 1030 a.m. instead of $2.00.

Due to inadequate parking for businesses in the downtown area, Northbrook has now posted that parking after 10 a.m. is free. Didn't do much keep 2 restaurants in the adjoining building open, though.

At the time rates  at all the CTA lots were raised, I questioned whether the purpose should be to encourage ridership or maximize the take at the lots. Clearly the answer was the latter, so I don't know why west towns is crying for them.

Maybe west towns is also aggrieved that while the CTA lot at Skokie Dempster is $3, the village lot north of Dempster is $2.00 (both apparently recently increased).

18 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Essentially, Cumberland (and Howard) were set up like a parking garage, because they are parking garages, while Rosemont, Skokie, and Wilmette CTA, and virtually every Metra parking lot were set up as a parking lot; first with coin slots and more recently replaced by an electronic machine and often a pay by phone app.

The other thing to figure is that a garage needs an attendant 24/7, while in the days of the coin slots, the cops checked the lots about at 10:30 a.m. and ticketed the cars that hadn't paid. In effect, if someone paid at 1:30, the parking lot operator (in Metra's case usually the municipality, except where Metra owned the lot) got $4 the next day at 1030 a.m. instead of $2.00.

That's basically what I was going to say, but then my cat threw up all over the carpet so I had to finish typing quickly.

Metra is mostly a rush hour system, so checking the lot at 10:30 is fairly effective. However, the Blue line runs 24 hours, with people coming and going at all different times. Also, people park at the blue line for the convention center and other Rosemont attractions. In fact, the Rosemont website encourages them to do so, and ride the circulator. Hourly parking works better for a busy place like Rosemont with people coming and going throughout the day, and also easier to enforce with electronic machines as opposed to coin slots.

• Upvote 1

On 5/11/2016 at 10:58 PM, BusHunter said:

I noticed that the Salvation Army building on Mt Prospect/Algonquin has a big for sale sign on the corner. I didn't notice that before. So I wonder if that means Pace is not interested or was cast out?

On 5/12/2016 at 8:39 AM, Busjack said:

The Daily Herald previously had an article that the alderman was opposed, and since the Pace board is all mayors or former mayors, they weren't going to push it.

Daily Herald now has that some pharmaceutical company is interested in the site.

And if the neighbors are complaining about this, I wonder what they would have thought about a bus garage.

• 2 weeks later...
On July 19, 2016 at 7:58 PM, west towns said:

Rosemont construction has started.  I was catching the 606 today and saw work going on in the east end of terminal by first row of parking had sidewalk cut up.  Ran for bus so couldn't get a picture

Some pictures of the construction:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

As you can see in the third picture, the Rosemont circulator stop has been moved to the ADA paratransit area. There were notices posted that the stop will move to the sidewalk on the east side of the terminal in mid-August. One of the drivers said "it won't ever stop where it did before". On a somewhat unrelated note, 5330 was running the circulator even though it didn't have a wrap like 5984 does.