Pace Construction

Busjack

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2017 at 8:42 AM, Busjack said:

There is a solicitation for Mid-Life Improvements for Heritage Division Garage. The obvious snark is is that since the garage was built in the 1920s (with an addition in 1985), are they going for another 90 years?

And subsequently it disappeared. No longer on the Active/In Process list.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Tribune story on dead construction projects at state universities may have the explanation on why we don't see any South Campus and Metra is complaining about lack of capital funds. The bottom line is that Gov. Quinn's Illinois Jobs Now authorized a certain level of bonds, then not all the bonds could be sold because the taxes, such as on video gaming, did not generate enough revenue to cover them, and the authorizations have run their course. On the transit side, the state may have sold enough bonds to cover the Red Line South, 160 Metra cars and a couple of stations, and 91 Pace CNG buses, but nothing else.

• 4 months later...
On 1/17/2017 at 8:42 AM, Busjack said:

There is a solicitation for Mid-Life Improvements for Heritage Division Garage. The obvious snark is is that since the garage was built in the 1920s (with an addition in 1985), are they going for another 90 years?

On 3/3/2017 at 3:18 PM, Busjack said:

And subsequently it disappeared. No longer on the Active/In Process list.

Strange... Pace is advertising "Release of  IFB Coming Soon", and 417960 Heritage Division Bus Garage Mid-Life Improvements is back on that.

417953 West Division Bus Garage Mid-Life Improvements is also listed.

• 1 month later...

A new thing on the pacebus.com site is a page for Anticipated Procurement Opportunities. Of note in the current one is that the Heritage improvements have been "reduced in scope" to mainly mechanical upgrades, and the West ones include similar upgrades and remodeling, but nothing like at South.

There is also an entry for mid life improvements at South Holland, so it looks like the South Campus plan is dead.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

For what I was looking on the October Board Meeting Agenda wasn't there, but there is an executive session item for board action relating to real estate at 1600 S. Wolf Road, Wheeling IL (just south of Old Willow Rd). Another attempt to purchase a site for a new NW garage?

Pace_Board_Meeting_Agenda_Oct_2018.pdf

16 hours ago, Busjack said:

For what I was looking on the October Board Meeting Agenda wasn't there, but there is an executive session item for board action relating to real estate at 1600 S. Wolf Road, Wheeling IL (just south of Old Willow Rd). Another attempt to purchase a site for a new NW garage?

Apparently, they just had a layoff seminar over the summer and I can't imagine holding one of those unless you had or are about to have a layoff. Easier for Pace to buy the property at that point? I'm a little ootl about how these things work.

37 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Apparently, they just had a layoff seminar over the summer and I can't imagine holding one of those unless you had or are about to have a layoff. Easier for Pace to buy the property at that point? I'm a little ootl about how these things work.

Who's they?

Usually the way things work, vacant property is put on sale and is available for purchase. However, given the amount of vacant industrial property in Maine, Wheeling, and Elk Grove townships, I don't know why Pace has been screwing around with this for about 4 years.

Operations wise, this doesn't hit me as such a great location, especially if the I-90 operations are to be consolidated with it (East Dundee is just a rented truck terminal). The existing garage was at least near the Des Plaines and Rosemont pulse points.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Who's they?

Usually the way things work, vacant property is put on sale and is available for purchase. However, given the amount of vacant industrial property in Maine, Wheeling, and Elk Grove townships, I don't know why Pace has been screwing around with this for about 4 years.

Operations wise, this doesn't hit me as such a great location, especially if the I-90 operations are to be consolidated with it (East Dundee is just a rented truck terminal). The existing garage was at least near the Des Plaines and Rosemont pulse points.

My bad. The "they" in this case is the Allstate Print Communications Center

• Upvote 1

On 10/8/2018 at 4:25 PM, Busjack said:

Another example of Pace not being transparent. The agenda says to reconvene after the Executive Session, but the video ends with a vote to go into executive session and a bunch of shots of the logo on the back wall, but no return. Only hint is that TJ Ross said during his retirement remarks that hopefully we will do something today about locating the Northwest Division.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
21 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

386 continues to stop along Harlem only.  There's already plenty of stops along the street one can transfer between 386 and 307

My concern wasn't 307/386 transfers, but rather people parking in the lot who'd have to walk all the way to the intersection if they wanted to catch the 386

16 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

My concern wasn't 307/386 transfers, but rather people parking in the lot who'd have to walk all the way to the intersection if they wanted to catch the 386

Do you know whether anyone is actually doing this? I know it might be advantageous for downtown commuters when 855 isn't running, but also that 856 failed to attract the projected ridership.

5 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

It's not that far of a walk lol

7 minutes is enough for me to strongly consider whether or not I'm transferring there. For example, I know people who transfer from the 8A to the 79 at Halsted instead of riding to the end of the line (and for a little bit, my mother & I did that). Also, it's a park & ride lot with available berths, there's no harm in the ~2 min deviation to serve the lot. 

3 hours ago, Pace831 said:

Do you know whether anyone is actually doing this? I know it might be advantageous for downtown commuters when 855 isn't running, but also that 856 failed to attract the projected ridership.

No, I personally don't know anyone doing that. However, you raise an excellent point of non-855 commuting and you also made me realize it's an excellent way to avoid paying for parking at Midway