Pace Construction

Busjack

5 hours ago, busfan2847 said:

River has 40' El Dorado's operating out of the East Dundee sub-depot that are used on the I-90 routes. I have seen these on the Saturday 606s.

These are not the exact same (or more specific, they are the same type but not the same numbers). The River Division garage itself has room for a few of those 40-footers - but no more than what it currently has (after accounting for the 30-footers that are also based at that garage). The ones that are currently at River proper are 6379, 6380, 6382-6385 and 6389-6391. 6381 is at Southwest while 6386-6388 are at North Shore.

River did have a few of the regular 40-foot Eldos (6559-6563 and 6703-6706, with 6558 added later). But these were all reassigned to West after the transfer of the highway Eldos from South to River as South transitioned entirely to CNG buses.

The East Dundee outstation division should have only 6377, 6378 and 6485-6509. None of those that are actually assigned to the East Dundee outstation were ever run on the 606, even on weekdays.

And 606 runs are divided between River and Northwest during the day on weekdays and Saturdays, with all evening trips and all Sunday trips being run from Northwest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/30/2020 at 1:23 PM, artthouwill said:

I guess I can post here.

When will the new Pace NW garage in Wheeling open?  Since it's supposed to open with a CNG fleet, how will Pace accomplish this?

1.  Will it operate the Wheeling and Des Plaines garages simultaneously?  They would pull a small number of buses from zDes Plaines to be retrofitted for CNG, then send the retrofitted buses to operate from Wheeling. 

2.  If Pace South still has its underground diesel fuel tanks, swap all 81 if South's buses with 91 from NW.  NW can still operate some diesels out of Des Plaines while retrofitting the remaining 30 to 40 buses, but this expedites that process.  Obviously Pace's next order would have to be for CNG.

WOULD Pace consider resurrection of the NABIs to fill in while retrofitting buses for CNG?

Here's an article I stumbled across that answers some the questions about the wheeling garage.

https://www.journal-topics.com/articles/wheeling-approves-site-plan-for-pace-facility/

12 hours ago, BusHunter said:

And here is a link talking about the ground breaking of the new Plainfield garage.

https://chi.streetsblog.org/2021/01/08/paces-new-plainfield-garage-will-enable-expansion-of-i-55-bus-on-shoulder-service/

Plainfield makes perfect sense.  It could be a motor coach only garage or it could add the Naperville, Lisle, Downers Grove, Bolingbrook, and Westmont feeders should they ever return.   Besides, Heritage is space constrained. 

I would like to see Pace use 45 ft motorcoaches instead of 40 ft coaches.  Pace is behind the times

13 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Here's an article I stumbled across that answers some the questions about the wheeling garage.

https://www.journal-topics.com/articles/wheeling-approves-site-plan-for-pace-facility/

The article mentions converting buses to combustible natural  gas so that seems to eliminate a bus swap with South.  Since Pace only would need 105 buses operating from there, Pace could start implementing a conversion plan.

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

The article mentions converting buses to combustible natural  gas so that seems to eliminate a bus swap with South.  Since Pace only would need 105 buses operating from there, Pace could start implementing a conversion plan.

It said no diesel buses would be on the property which eliminates that. Construction would take 3 years which means an opening by 2022. They are converting an existing building which explains why there hasnt been a groundbreaking with shovels in hand. Dont know why they said 105 buses unless pulse is going somewhere else.

5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Plainfield makes perfect sense.  It could be a motor coach only garage or it could add the Naperville, Lisle, Downers Grove, Bolingbrook, and Westmont feeders should they ever return.   Besides, Heritage is space constrained. 

I would like to see Pace use 45 ft motorcoaches instead of 40 ft coaches.  Pace is behind the times

They want to have a 100 bus garage there. With 29 mci buses currently, that's going to be a big expansion. I thought they were saying the I-294 flex lane buses would run out of there, so maybe that explains some of the plan. They could do as you say and station all the 3rd party  run buses there. Then that get them to 100. 

Also in the pipeline they want to expand river garage. 

• 10 months later...

I’d hate to break the news to you, but as of the October 2021 board meeting Pace is now reconsidering its plans for CNG buses and its planned Wheeling garage due to a complaint from one of the board members. As such, the existing bidding for construction at the planned Wheeling garage was cancelled, putting the associated bid for 40-foot CNG buses in jeopardy.

With the change in plans, the future plans for the Wheeling site becomes unknown. Pace may sell off the site to a developer, or it may proceed to build a conventional diesel garage there. It has already wanted to leave Des Plaines as soon as possible.

28 minutes ago, RJL6000 said:

I’d hate to break the news to you, but as of the October 2021 board meeting Pace is now reconsidering its plans for CNG buses and its planned Wheeling garage due to a complaint from one of the board members. As such, the existing bidding for construction at the planned Wheeling garage was cancelled, putting the associated bid for 40-foot CNG buses in jeopardy.

With the change in plans, the future plans for the Wheeling site becomes unknown. Pace may sell off the site to a developer, or it may proceed to build a conventional diesel garage there. It has already wanted to leave Des Plaines as soon as possible.

Meeting minutes

From what I'm gathering, there's a push to advance with electrification instead of the gradual approach. I'll admit, I was initially upset upon reading that it was in jeopardy, but seeing the reasons now, I can see the rationale. I will say Pace can probably transition to electrics easier than most agencies since they don't need to make such large purchase orders. Otoh, the length of some routes has me worried about the viability and I think Pace will have to invest more into layover charging than another agency might have to, but that's all speculation at this point. If the garage and bus order flip into electrics, I think that'll be a good thing. Seattle and Boston are working on electric garages currently.

Pace ordering CNG buses probably mitigated some of the blowback they'd have received had they ordered diesel, especially compared to what CTA got. Then again, didn't hear too many upset voices about the XD40 order. WMATA recently purchased some XD40s within the last year as well, and wasn't really subject to public scrutiny like that either (although they have their own battle with a garage reconstruction going on w/ another community push for electrification). Makes me wonder why CTA's diesel purchase was so controversial, especially when orgs like the Sierra Club are getting involved. Also goes to show people don't take the time to properly understand things. CTA has ~1000 buses they need to replace, which is over half the fleet, the current ones are not going to last past 2024, and electric technology is not so proven that an order of ~1000 can be seen as comfortably reliable, let alone be completely delivered in under 3 years. The largest order of electrics to date just came this week from NYC MTA (60 buses) and UMich (54). With that, NYC MTA will either have or will be close to the largest fleet of electrics in the country with... 75 buses. 

I just don't understand people's need to rush on this. 2040 is a reasonable goal, let these agencies meet it. Massive change will not be occurring by 2025. Environmental concerns aside, a single diesel bus is still more environmentally friendly by orders of magnitude than anything else not a train. And diesel technology has improved, a diesel bus today is producing 10 times less emissions than a diesel bus 10 years ago.

rant over lol

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Meeting minutes

From what I'm gathering, there's a push to advance with electrification instead of the gradual approach. I'll admit, I was initially upset upon reading that it was in jeopardy, but seeing the reasons now, I can see the rationale. I will say Pace can probably transition to electrics easier than most agencies since they don't need to make such large purchase orders. Otoh, the length of some routes has me worried about the viability and I think Pace will have to invest more into layover charging than another agency might have to, but that's all speculation at this point. If the garage and bus order flip into electrics, I think that'll be a good thing. Seattle and Boston are working on electric garages currently.

Pace ordering CNG buses probably mitigated some of the blowback they'd have received had they ordered diesel, especially compared to what CTA got. Then again, didn't hear too many upset voices about the XD40 order. WMATA recently purchased some XD40s within the last year as well, and wasn't really subject to public scrutiny like that either (although they have their own battle with a garage reconstruction going on w/ another community push for electrification). Makes me wonder why CTA's diesel purchase was so controversial, especially when orgs like the Sierra Club are getting involved. Also goes to show people don't take the time to properly understand things. CTA has ~1000 buses they need to replace, which is over half the fleet, the current ones are not going to last past 2024, and electric technology is not so proven that an order of ~1000 can be seen as comfortably reliable, let alone be completely delivered in under 3 years. The largest order of electrics to date just came this week from NYC MTA (60 buses) and UMich (54). With that, NYC MTA will either have or will be close to the largest fleet of electrics in the country with... 75 buses. 

I just don't understand people's need to rush on this. 2040 is a reasonable goal, let these agencies meet it. Massive change will not be occurring by 2025. Environmental concerns aside, a single diesel bus is still more environmentally friendly by orders of magnitude than anything else not a train. And diesel technology has improved, a diesel bus today is producing 10 times less emissions than a diesel bus 10 years ago.

rant over lol

I agree with your rant.  People gave all of these great ideas as long as someone else pays for it.  I wonder if the Sierra Club is willing to fork over $500K plus per bus for 1,000 electric buses?  

Every community demands good public transportation but no community wants it bus garage in their community.   Wheeling doesn't want diesel buses, even though the Wheeling site is not in a residential area.  

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I agree with your rant.  People gave all of these great ideas as long as someone else pays for it.  I wonder if the Sierra Club is willing to fork over $500K plus per bus for 1,000 electric buses?  

Every community demands good public transportation but no community wants it bus garage in their community.   Wheeling doesn't want diesel buses, even though the Wheeling site is not in a residential area.  

That's similar to WMATA's Northern Garage reconstruction. After the fire damage, they want to rebuild it, but neighborhood residents are insisting it be all electric or CNG. CNG garages aren't typically built around densely populated areas, of which Northern is (imagine 77th was a former trolley barn directly on King Dr), none of WMATA's CNG garages are up close and personal on any residential areas. Issue with electrics is capacity; Northern basically functions at lot like 77th, with multiple high volume artic routes and low volume routes + extra peak service on other routes to round out. While routes have been moved during reconstruction, this has resulted in massive extra deadhead and delays that ironically, were mitigated by the pandemic. Think of the 49 being run out of 103rd, that's the deadhead a lot of these routes have now. WMATA ofc can't order enough electrics to replace Northern's entire fleet (some 150-200 odd buses), nor should they have to at this time. Crazy part is WMATA said they'd rebuild with the capacity and functionality to transition to electrics when the time comes but that's not enough for residents. A lot of them would actively sacrifice timeliness & reliability just not to have covered, ventilated, LEED certified garage that's being rebuilt on land WMATA already owns.

CTA seems to have managed to pick ideal locations for all their garages except maybe Kedzie in terms of public acceptance of them, but I hope the time doesn't come anytime soon where they'd have to move or expand.

DC is getting into with local residents over a school bus parking lot. No maintenance, no garage, just a literal paved surface lot for storage during the day. The lot is to be built in the part of the city where all the other industry is and iirc, on a plot of land the city already owns and used for other things, but is being met with claims of environmental racism. No one's stopped to think that the emissions produced aren't going to be anything more than miniscule and they can't build it anywhere else in the city w/o displacing people, but they'd rather have that empty lot just sit there (and it's not like it'll get bought up and redeveloped anytime soon). 

I worry the people who claim to want progress are going to be the very ones who (inadvertantly or not) stymie it.

10 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

That's similar to WMATA's Northern Garage reconstruction. After the fire damage, they want to rebuild it, but neighborhood residents are insisting it be all electric or CNG. CNG garages aren't typically built around densely populated areas, of which Northern is (imagine 77th was a former trolley barn directly on King Dr), none of WMATA's CNG garages are up close and personal on any residential areas. Issue with electrics is capacity; Northern basically functions at lot like 77th, with multiple high volume artic routes and low volume routes + extra peak service on other routes to round out. While routes have been moved during reconstruction, this has resulted in massive extra deadhead and delays that ironically, were mitigated by the pandemic. Think of the 49 being run out of 103rd, that's the deadhead a lot of these routes have now. WMATA ofc can't order enough electrics to replace Northern's entire fleet (some 150-200 odd buses), nor should they have to at this time. Crazy part is WMATA said they'd rebuild with the capacity and functionality to transition to electrics when the time comes but that's not enough for residents. A lot of them would actively sacrifice timeliness & reliability just not to have covered, ventilated, LEED certified garage that's being rebuilt on land WMATA already owns.

CTA seems to have managed to pick ideal locations for all their garages except maybe Kedzie in terms of public acceptance of them, but I hope the time doesn't come anytime soon where they'd have to move or expand.

DC is getting into with local residents over a school bus parking lot. No maintenance, no garage, just a literal paved surface lot for storage during the day. The lot is to be built in the part of the city where all the other industry is and iirc, on a plot of land the city already owns and used for other things, but is being met with claims of environmental racism. No one's stopped to think that the emissions produced aren't going to be anything more than miniscule and they can't build it anywhere else in the city w/o displacing people, but they'd rather have that empty lot just sit there (and it's not like it'll get bought up and redeveloped anytime soon). 

I worry the people who claim to want progress are going to be the very ones who (inadvertantly or not) stymie it.

Your last sentence us spot on.  How does a neighborhood that gas had diesel byses for years now demand electrics,  id the garage wasn't torn down,  they would still have diesels.   Nowadays garages are all indoors.   Diesel buses are now clean diesel buses with lower emissions..  But if this garage isn't replaced,  they will complain about bad service and racism.  These same people will cry if there is a fare ibcrease..   But since D C. Us funded by the Feds, people think other people's money spends very well 

41 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Your last sentence us spot on.  How does a neighborhood that gas had diesel byses for years now demand electrics,  id the garage wasn't torn down,  they would still have diesels.   Nowadays garages are all indoors.   Diesel buses are now clean diesel buses with lower emissions..  But if this garage isn't replaced,  they will complain about bad service and racism.  These same people will cry if there is a fare ibcrease..   But since D C. Us funded by the Feds, people think other people's money spends very well 

I do want to point out that DC's local budget is usually comprised of about 20%-25% in federal funds, there are states that receive more than that (another argument for statehood lol), but I digress.

I definitely agree with your point. We're reaching a period of time where only people who at least semi-consistently use public transit should have opinions that are given any weight (exceptions apply ofc), but even something as simple as that would require getting rid of a lot of transit agencies' boards lol

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

3 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I do want to point out that DC's local budget is usually comprised of about 20%-25% in federal funds, there are states that receive more than that (another argument for statehood lol), but I digress.

I definitely agree with your point. We're reaching a period of time where only people who at least semi-consistently use public transit should have opinions that are given any weight (exceptions apply ofc), but even something as simple as that would require getting rid of a lot of transit agencies' boards lol

If people are so concerned about pollution push jobs and the government to change the nature of the work week. 1800 buses here, they mainly all come out between 7-9 and 4-6 then sit. That’s a lot of polition that probably wouldn’t be that bad if everyone and their mama wasn’t trying to commute within the same 2 hour window. All that idling. Realistically there shouldn’t be a deadline on forcing TAs to convert completely to what’s still rare and new technology without allowing proper realistic time to test and build the infrastructure. What if we buy all these electric just to end up with an nabi scenario? Just stick with putting as many people on trains if you want electric that bad, focus on getting buses out of traffic to prevent excessive idling and that will at least help control the environmental concerns while giving time to make sure electric actually works before taking a plunge. 

18 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Since you mention the Sierra club, I was reading an article where they ridiculed Pace buying cngs saying that they still emit fumes that are only slightly better than a conventional diesel. From the words of the Sierra club, they state that Pace will only be buying electric buses from now on. You can take it for what its worth. I need to link that article. I think while cng is not the healthiest alternative its a step in the right direction. Electric has its drawbacks too. Its not perfect. Just talk to all the people that sees there range has suddenly plummeted in the winter cold. Really I would only heavily invest in it if I was driving in cali or florida or arizona. Its still fairly new tech. I think the effort should be put towards hybrids especially in the northern colder regions. Electrics have a fire risk. A certain cta bus 700 comes to mind. The chevy bolt has been recalled due to excessive fires when charging. Do we really want a fire in a bus garage? All your capitol may end up sizzled into infinity. In that respect outdoor chargers at bus terminals may be the way to go. 

While the future may be depicted as rosy and gay, we also forget about all the jobs that will be lost because of it. If you dont need gas, you dont need refinerys, you dont need oil wells and you dont need gas stations. This is going to devastate the gulf communities where the industry is big. The electric facilities need a fuel source as well. They are emitting carbon emissions. So really we are just trading tit for tat. The only way to do it correctly is an endless field of windmill farms but what about all the crops we grow now. I dont want to eat synthetic corn. So thats my 2 cents.... ill see if I can link or screensave that article. It had my eyebrows raised lol!!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.sierraclub.org/illinois/blog/2021/10/it-s-time-for-pace-pick-pace&ved=2ahUKEwikw6CL6rP0AhUJjokEHe5AAx4QFnoECAYQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1ShlCdSREeNqqptseJVKFV

Heres that link 

Btw, I found out the base order for newest eldorkos 20300's is 23 buses. So I wonder if they are diesels will there be any options purchased?

Based on the link that BusHunter provided, this means that the Northwest Division's planned move to CNG is in limbo. I had stated this in my previous post that the order for CNG buses that is being bid on is in jeopardy.

And the bidding for CNG garage construction at Wheeling has been cancelled (as I stated). Future plans for the site remain unknown.

What this means is that it is likely that Pace will resell the Wheeling property to another developer, and instead its Northwest Division will remain at its current Des Plaines property for the foreseeable future (barring the garage's permanent closure and the reassignment of its routes to other Pace divisions or third-party contractors).

11 hours ago, RJL6000 said:

Based on the link that BusHunter provided, this means that the Northwest Division's planned move to CNG is in limbo. I had stated this in my previous post that the order for CNG buses that is being bid on is in jeopardy.

And the bidding for CNG garage construction at Wheeling has been cancelled (as I stated). Future plans for the site remain unknown.

What this means is that it is likely that Pace will resell the Wheeling property to another developer, and instead its Northwest Division will remain at its current Des Plaines property for the foreseeable future (barring the garage's permanent closure and the reassignment of its routes to other Pace divisions or third-party contractors).

I like that Pace is flexible and is willing to listen to its constituents,  but this is too much.  The Desplaines  facility is old and space constrained  and needs to be replaced.   Wheeling stepped up with the condition of no diesel buses.

Can Pace switch the electric bus experiment from Waukegan to Wheeling?  This satisfies Wheeling,  those who want electric buses, and allow Pace to close Desplaines..  Just modify the RFP from CNG to electric and increase the amount of buses.   Pace might be able to divide the order between New Flyer, Nova, and Proterra. 

I think if it were possible to just close Desplaines , Pace would have already done so.  I believe River might be able to handle a few routes, but West and North Shore are constrained With Waukegan being too far.  I don't think Pace is open to contracting out any fuzed routes except as a last resort  

11 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I like that Pace is flexible and is willing to listen to its constituents,  but this is too much.  The Desplaines  facility is old and space constrained  and needs to be replaced.   Wheeling stepped up with the condition of no diesel buses.

Can Pace switch the electric bus experiment from Waukegan to Wheeling?  This satisfies Wheeling,  those who want electric buses, and allow Pace to close Desplaines..  Just modify the RFP from CNG to electric and increase the amount of buses.   Pace might be able to divide the order between New Flyer, Nova, and Proterra. 

I think if it were possible to just close Desplaines , Pace would have already done so.  I believe River might be able to handle a few routes, but West and North Shore are constrained With Waukegan being too far.  I don't think Pace is open to contracting out any fuzed routes except as a last resort  

If cta Proterras are any indication of the success of electric buses, Pace will have its hands full at north. It will be many years before north actually acheives this. 

Why is Pace caving to the Sierra club? Just buy the cngs already. 55 buses are supposed to come next year, what do they tell eldorado, sorry we goofed. They need a new garage for nw. The article stated pace would not buy diesel after 2022, so why not put cngs on the fast track and get them all ordered by next year. The plainfield garage is having no issues, but Id like to see how they would find an electric mci bus. The Pace fleet is fairly new, they could actually pull off buying electrics after this big cng order. 

Btw, I was reading somewhere Pace is buying electric paratransits. Cant seem to find what I was reading. Worse comes to worse they could always explore the use of paratransits in Joliet and Aurora and Elgin. 

Believe me cta is not worried about the Sierra club, they got 600 clean diesels in the pipeline. 

• 3 weeks later...

The planned CNG order is not in the agenda for this month. It won't be until early next year at the earliest. And this is if Pace still wants the Wheeling CNG garage, which is now delayed indefinitely following the cancellation of the bidding for construction.

In the meantime, the Des Plaines garage will remain open and operating for the foreseeable future only because Pace can't do anything with this delay in the CNG plans.

33 minutes ago, RJL6000 said:

The planned CNG order is not in the agenda for this month. It won't be until early next year at the earliest. And this is if Pace still wants the Wheeling CNG garage, which is now delayed indefinitely following the cancellation of the bidding for construction.

In the meantime, the Des Plaines garage will remain open and operating for the foreseeable future only because Pace can't do anything with this delay in the CNG plans.

Well something is going to have to happen because Dempster Pulse is coming on the horizon. What are they gonna run it with existing buses?