Vintage Photos

westing

Really good video. I enjoyed it. I think the only thing that was missing was a 2200, unless that was

one on Lake St about 7:00 in, hard to tell. As for that 300 color scheme, there is a similar scheme for

315 at the Imlay Loop on the 91 route, and also 204 at Caldwell and Central in Mel Bernero's Flickr collection.

Those are the temporary buses that were brought in to replace the #9800 Flyer buses that had cracks in them that had to be replaced/fixed around 1986-87. There was a set of spare buses from New Orleans, (10 I believe) which are these, as well as canadian buses (10 buses) that were painted all white. The buses just ran out of FG. Just think of these as warranty replacements, like when you take your car to the dealer you get a loaner. BTW, if you look at #204 closely, you will see on the back of the bus the bus is actually numbered #314 for CTA. #204 I believe was it's original number when it ran in New Orleans. The white ones were numbered #301-#310, and these were #311 - #319. I have a picture I got off someone which is a picture of #310 and it was all white. Maybe I can post it.

.... I never found an image of that derailment **** UNTIL NOW *****:

Obviously we see the whacked apartment building and a car (other than the tail one) somewhat off the tracks. The only thing I can figure out is that the trucks hanging off the edge must be from a car that isn't in the picture, since otherwise the train going off the structure and hitting the building isn't explained.

... BTW, if you look at #204 closely, you will see on the back of the bus the bus is actually numbered #314 for CTA. #204 I believe was it's original number when it ran in New Orleans. The white ones were numbered #301-#310, and these were #311 - #319. I have a picture I got off someone which is a picture of #310 and it was all white. Maybe I can post it.

I guess you're right, especially given that the numbers seem "pasted on," and 204 seems to have NY style lights on each side of the headsign.

However, it hits me as strange that CTA would reuse a series, and I assume that 301 on page 52 of Krambles's book is the real deal. In any event, the 100 and 300 series of CTA buses didn't have air conditioning, but 204 and 315 obviously do.

The video brings to mind that while I had seen and ridden CTA ACF Brill (gas?) buses, I never got to ride (or see) ACF Brill ETBs. I also saw what is either a Pullman Standard or St. Louis ETB but I never got to ride them. I think I did see one on Montrose while riding a North Shore train to Milwaukee. :)

Gene King

• 10 months later...

I found an old black and white photo taken around 1909. I am very curious to see if any one can guess the location in this picture:

5avel@10st.jpg

Well, it looks like it's obviously Lake St. in Downtown Chicago. The cross street is a unknown to me, but I'll throw my hat into the ringer just to see if I hit the mark.... State and Lake in Downtown Chicago???

Well, it looks like it's obviously Lake St. in Downtown Chicago. The cross street is a unknown to me, but I'll throw my hat into the ringer just to see if I hit the mark.... State and Lake in Downtown Chicago???

Well, that's a very good guess! And at first glance, it does look like the Lake Street "L" structure. However, there are slight differences about the structure in the picture. Notice the wide space between the tracks as evidenced by the sunlight shining on cross member of the trestle or "bent" in the foreground. Secondly, this set of tracks has continuous outside catwalks as evidenced by the shadows on bents over the curbs. The Lake street structure has, for the most part, a catwalk between the tracks, as do most elevated lines in Chicago.

The line in the picture is actually the 5th Ave Elevated line in the Park Slope district of Brooklyn, New York. The nearest cross street is 10th Street. But overall, this structure does look a lot like the Lake Street Line, particularly the stretch between Western and Halsted.