Vintage Photos

westing

I just found this great old photo. It has to be one of my favorites so far. I just love all the shadows and how it's not the typical downtown scene. Can anyone guess the location?

I had a difficult time before looking at the source of the photo. (so please don't if you want to guess ;) )

tumblr_m7mhyamSCs1rodbnso1_1280.jpg

Source

I just found this great old photo. It has to be one of my favorites so far. I just love all the shadows and how it's not the typical downtown scene. Can anyone guess the location?

I had a difficult time before looking at the source of the photo. (so please don't if you want to guess ;) )

Source

I'll take a guess, though the pic looks before my time. It looks like Lake and Sacramento facing west on Lake Street.

I'll take a guess, though the pic looks before my time. It looks like Lake and Sacramento facing west on Lake Street.

That's right. The area looks nothing like this anymore, few if any of the buildings still remain. To think Lake St. could once support rapid and surface transit.

That's right. The area looks nothing like this anymore, few if any of the buildings still remain. To think Lake St. could once support rapid and surface transit.

Yes, the Sacramento station located on the curve is a giveaway. Sadly, that station closed on April 4, 1948 (as part of the Lake Street Line's implementation of A/B skip-stop service) and was demolished a year later. Ashland/Lake was also closed in that same service revision, but was left dormant in case the nearby Logan Square line were to be rerouted (which eventually occurred on February 25, 1951; at that time, Ashland reopened but nearby Lake Street Transfer closed).

• 2 months later...

Source

At the time Art made his guess of this being Sacramento and Lake, I guessed the same location in my mind though I was thinking facing east instead of west. I just didn't register mentally the give away was the curving of Lake Street to the right at the intersection facing that direction that breaks the optical illusion that Lake Street is perfectly perpendicular to the north-south streets in that area, when actually it's angled slightly on both sides of Sacramento. East of the Sacramento it's on a slight dip moving southwest between Ashland and Sacramento from 200N to about 120N before curving onto a slight northwest trajectory until it gets to the vicinity of Laramie where its position is approximately 400N.

Looks like the green/pink line. I think there is still a station like that out there. I want to say I'm thinking of Ashland. My dad would often drive me to appointments at UIC, especially if he had a reason to go to that area (Al's Beef was often considered a reason, or the Vienna Beef factory cafe sometimes!). He would drive down Ashland to get there. I think I've seen a similar station that way.

Looks like the green/pink line. I think there is still a station like that out there. I want to say I'm thinking of Ashland.

I don't know if clicking on the provided link is a spoiler, but it is the same as the prior one, i.e. Sacramento.

While it looks like Ashland, the street is too narrow. Ashland was always a boulevard there, and you couldn't get a planter into this picture, as was in the picture on the cover of a late1990s CTA map (with a 5800 on route 9, which usually was not the case).

Thats the former Homan ave. station on the Lake st./Green Line

Update: Also wouldn't be Homan, because it would have had Garfield Park on one side (Google Map).

It is Lake and Sacramento. One clue, the L structure at that point is much different than that east of Rockwell where the supports where positioned at the curb.

Homan was very similar but slightly narrower and only had two bay windows versus three for Sacramento. There isn't much to compare to today since nearly everything in that photo has been torn down but the absence of Garfield Park was another good observation.

I found this on Youtube. You will enjoy the pics. The poster was definitely a CTA fan as well as a House Music fan. I am a fan of both also, but I posted this moreso for the CTA fans, especially those who will remember some of the equipment in the video (some in original livery). Enjoy

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Some of it is comparatively recent (such as the 2400s and 2600s with their original decals), but the red trolley car motion picture at Field Museum is certainly rare.

What's the deal with the weird paint job on the 84 Peterson bus at about 7:46 (apparently a legitimate 300 series bus)?

Some of it is comparatively recent (such as the 2400s and 2600s with their original decals), but the red trolley car motion picture at Field Museum is certainly rare.

What's the deal with the weird paint job on the 84 Peterson bus at about 7:46 (apparently a legitimate 300 series bus)?

Really good video. I enjoyed it. I think the only thing that was missing was a 2200, unless that was

one on Lake St about 7:00 in, hard to tell. As for that 300 color scheme, there is a similar scheme for

315 at the Imlay Loop on the 91 route, and also 204 at Caldwell and Central in Mel Bernero's Flickr collection.

• 2 months later...

I found this on Youtube. You will enjoy the pics. The poster was definitely a CTA fan as well as a House Music fan. I am a fan of both also, but I posted this moreso for the CTA fans, especially those who will remember some of the equipment in the video (some in original livery). Enjoy

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Man, I saw it and it was beautiful! Brings back old memories, doesn't it? And the house music is pumpin up!

• Upvote 1

On Graham Garfield's Chicago-L.org under "Mishaps and Unusual Occurences", one of the mishaps he refers to happened around 1959 or 1960 at 59th Street junction where the Englewood and Jackson Park lines diverge. A Loop-bound Englewood train made up of the relatively-new 6000 series entered the junction curve way to fast and derailed, taking out part of an apartment building. I was around 2 years of age at the time and lived not to far from this junction. I never found an image of that derailment **** UNTIL NOW *****:

photo-chicago-train-cta-elevated-collisi

• Upvote 1