CTA Bus Operator written exam

Drive

Hello, I have a 3hr exam scheduled for bus operator and was wondering if the exam really is 3hrs long? If you guys could give me some idea of how to prepare for it. I looked online and couldn't find any mention of it, so I don't know what to prepare for exactly.

Hello, I have a 3hr exam scheduled for bus operator and was wondering if the exam really is 3hrs long? If you guys could give me some idea of how to prepare for it. I looked online and couldn't find any mention of it, so I don't know what to prepare for exactly.

Are you kidding??? You wont find any info on it! This is CTA were talking about! Everything is a secret there! :) Anyway, good luck!

Guest ctafan630

Are you kidding??? You wont find any info on it! This is CTA were talking about! Everything is a secret there! :) Anyway, good luck!

Make sure you know the words to "The Wheels on the Bus". You need to know the parts of the bus and the sounds they make.

... You need to know the parts of the bus and the sounds they make.

Especially if you take sw's test. However, I don't think one has to distinguish a DD50 and Cummins at this point.B)

However, I think Drive wanted a sincere response from another driver who would spill the beans here, but so far hasn't received one. And I can't help him.

Just make sure you wear proper attire when coming to the interview. I don't know if you watched last night's I-Team investigation on ABC news, (maybe there's a link) but someone lost there opportunity for a job from this. With 900 applicants being considered for 400 positions, if you make any big mistakes you'll be scratched off the list.

Just make sure you wear proper attire when coming to the interview. I don't know if you watched last night's I-Team investigation on ABC news, (maybe there's a link) but someone lost there opportunity for a job from this. With 900 applicants being considered for 400 positions, if you make any big mistakes you'll be scratched off the list.

I had put the link on the "Hiring Process" thread, where 5750 first posted the "heads up."

Since Lopez said he passed the test, maybe he will say. :o :lol:

Chuck Goudie makes an interesting point though in his I-Team report. Out of over 900 applicants so far, only 190 have so far been hired??? I wonder why the hiring numbers are so low. Thats a pretty high number of applicants being shown the door!

My guess is that it is what I call a "sanity test". I had to take these when I applied at the old NORTRAN (before the Pace days). It is a couple of hundred questions relating to situations and how you might react. There are parts that will ask you how you feel about working alone, perhaps missing a holiday, what kind of

person you are, etc. Then there will be questions about the type of job it is. There is no right or wrong answer, per se, and the scoring, is well, questionable. But someone somewhere feels this is a way to weed out

people. Personally, I think it is a BS kind of test, but like I said, obviously someone feels it is worth the $$ to use it.

I would be interested in knowing if this is in fact what it is. Good luck. Like I said, there is no right or wrong answer...it is multiple choice or give an answer on a scale of 1-10 or 1-5.

For those who want to know...I did not score high enough on the tests both times I applied at Nortran. How good of a predictor was this test ??? All I ever wanted to be was a bus driver growing up...Pace took over, and did simple interviews and I was hired real quick. Drove, supervised and am back in railroad now.

Just get a good night sleep and go from there. Good Luck !

• Upvote 2

Make sure you know the words to "The Wheels on the Bus". You need to know the parts of the bus and the sounds they make.

Especially if you take sw's test. However, I don't think one has to distinguish a DD50 and Cummins at this point.B)

Reminds me of an episode of "Home Improvement", where Tim Allen is at some get-together for new moms and their baby. The group leader is doing a sing-along of "The Wheels on the Bus", and Tim asks, "Let's talk about that bus: What kind of engine does it have? Is it a Cummins?"

:lol:

Few of my friends and I here at Pace North have our own version, too. Not going to post it, though!

• 3 years later...

Testing is 3.5 hours long. Make sure any future applicants bring that court purpose abstract they mention at the end of the email. You will be shown the door immediately without it. Test consist of three parts: driving skills video, customer service scenarios and reading comprehension. Driving skills video is relatively short. Its what would you do format. Pay attention thats all I will say. Customer service is the longest test. But its multiple choice and you watch a video. Pay attention. No right or wrong answer but there is a 'best' answer. Just remember who you want to work for and you should answer accordingly depending on the situation. Reading comprehension, simple. Move fast only got ten minutes. If you cant pass that part I wouldn't want you driving me anywhere let alone hire. Results came to me in two business days. Interviewed and took medical background clearance same day two weeks after the test. They will call! Dress professional I recommend even at the exam. Be quiet and listen. Ask questions later much later. If they want you to know something they will tell you. Be professionally prepared at interview. Youre sitting with three interviewers. Lasted about a hour for me. Others were sent out in ten minutes. Lack of professionalism. When they offer you a background you made the interview that day. Others were told they would be contacted upon available openings to come back for med and background. Hope this helps. Its where Im at in the process. Waiting on a on-boarding.

• Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...

I also took a HPE evaluation today. I guess its a new part of the process. Along with the drug test again. I passed. But make sure your blood pressure is in check. They will make you go get pills before you take the test. Fortunately mine went down today. I had to come back. Don't know whats next. HR said prehire paperwork class.

Juniorz, you had four interviewers? Im not surprised. They are strict and they each had questions for me. But its respectable. Im still waiting on my on-boarding and fatigue/sleep apnea certification. Been two weeks come tomorrow.

Wonder how Blue Line Escalator Rail Operator passed this certification..... definitely had some sleep deprivation maybe from one of these two when she drove through O-Hare.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...