CDL Training

Mrandrel

Where"s the best place to get CDL training in Chicago ?

School bus companies would probably be the easiest. They do it for free, but they (at least they used to) expect you to work for them at least 6 months after getting your CDL. They help you study for the general test and the passengder endorsement, as well as provide a vehicle for road testing. If your question is geared toward getting a CDL to get hired by the CTA, then you also have to pass the "Air Brake" portion of the written exam. You at least need to pass those written exams along with the vision test to get a permit. Perhaps CTA will train at that point (assuming you get chosen as a candidate for hire). Greyhound might be the only other operator I know that trains for CDL licensing, but again probably under the condition that you must work for them for a specified amount of time in exchange for your training. I don't know what (if any) penalties there are for getting your license with them and bolting immediately. In either case, you have to have permit in hand before training behind the wheel begins.

School bus companies would probably be the easiest. They do it for free, but they (at least they used to) expect you to work for them at least 6 months after getting your CDL. They help you study for the general test and the passengder endorsement, as well as provide a vehicle for road testing. If your question is geared toward getting a CDL to get hired by the CTA, then you also have to pass the "Air Brake" portion of the written exam. You at least need to pass those written exams along with the vision test to get a permit. Perhaps CTA will train at that point (assuming you get chosen as a candidate for hire). Greyhound might be the only other operator I know that trains for CDL licensing, but again probably under the condition that you must work for them for a specified amount of time in exchange for your training. I don't know what (if any) penalties there are for getting your license with them and bolting immediately. In either case, you have to have permit in hand before training behind the wheel begins.

If CTA hires you, you are required to complete the training course in order for the CDL training. CTA Bus Instructors are certified to provide the CDL training including the road test and skills test.

If CTA hires you, you are required to complete the training course in order for the CDL training. CTA Bus Instructors are certified to provide the CDL training including the road test and skills test.

But what about the reports, such as this one, mentioned earlier, that an applicant already has to have a CDL to get past step one of the job fair?

• Upvote 1

But what about the reports, such as this one, mentioned earlier, that an applicant already has to have a CDL to get past step one of the job fair?

What they mean is that you are required to have your CDL to drive the bus, you obtain it by passing your two week CTA Bus Instruction training. You are not required to have it at the time you apply but they do expect you to have a drivers license when they apply. I did not have my CDL yet when I applied back in 1997 although I did obtain my permit while I was in the hiring process. They can in the meantime study for their CDL and take the tests at the State DMV facilities, I went to Elston ave. for my written test. But only a select number of locations give you the CDL road test such as a location out in Elk Grove Village west of OHare. There I had to get recertified when I worked for Pace. But for now if theyre applying, they can begin studying for their CDL, now. Of course CTA may give preference to a driver who has a CDL in their posession as opposed to an applicant who does not possess one.

What they mean is that you are required to have your CDL to drive the bus, you obtain it by passing your two week CTA Bus Instruction training. You are not required to have it at the time you apply but they do expect you to have a drivers license when they apply.

That's not the impression I got from the news stories; while I cited a citeable source, what I remember is that they were given information, but CTA would not take their application.

Like was the case with the guy they wouldn't interview when he showed up in jeans, maybe CTA is less accommodating than it used to be when the economy is this bad.

That's not the impression I got from the news stories; while I cited a citeable source, what I remember is that they were given information, but CTA would not take their application.

Like was the case with the guy they wouldn't interview when he showed up in jeans, maybe CTA is less accommodating than it used to be when the economy is this bad.

They will accept all applicarions. Those who already have their CDL and experience will probably get the second shot, behind the well connected. With the economy the way it is, there are probably more than enough applicants with a valid CDL to fill all vacancies. Maybe half of that pool could fail the physical and/or drug test. The last mass hiring event they had in the mid 2000s, they took all apps and resumes, but those with CDL s and MVRs were collected separate.

I might add that I heard that Pace also trains for CDL licensing.

• 5 months later...

Of related interest, there is a Press Release that CTA transferred two depreciated Nova Buses to Olive Harvey College for CDL training.

You got to wonder if CTA is thinking about curtailing their training to only CDL holders. Now that they have this Olive Harvey training program, CTA is obligated to interview all applicants who pass the course. Being they soon should have a good pool of applicants with a CDL, they probably won't look twice at people who don't yet possess one. One of the problems with 100's of applicants showing up at a hiring event is alot of them don't possess a CDL. You also have to wonder if they'll ever have a hiring event again, unless the Olive Harvey course is a flop, but I doubt that.

You got to wonder if CTA is thinking about curtailing their training to only CDL holders. Now that they have this Olive Harvey training program, CTA is obligated to interview all applicants who pass the course. Being they soon should have a good pool of applicants with a CDL, they probably won't look twice at people who don't yet possess one. One of the problems with 100's of applicants showing up at a hiring event is alot of them don't possess a CDL. You also have to wonder if they'll ever have a hiring event again, unless the Olive Harvey course is a flop, but I doubt that.

As you noted, the only thing said was that CTA was committed to interviewing the graduates.

With regard to job fairs, the first question would be whether there will be any one shot opportunity like the 400 jobs associated with the Dan Ryan project, and, even then, whether they were already picky at that fair, as indicated by the news stories discussed above.

The only thing that surprised me was that I thought Olive Harvey offered CDL training before, but I couldn't find substantiation for that. Anyway, Olive Harvey is supposed to be the transportation training concentration school.

• 9 months later...

Are there ANY companies that offer training for a class A or B CDL in Chicago ? That are actually in the Chicago city limits.

All the places that come up in a search , show Chicago, but the actual locations are out of state.

The 3rd largest city in the Country and theres not one company
that offers training ? I'am not looking for FREE training , I'am willing
to sign up for the company for a year or two and will pay for the
training through out my employment.

Any companies out there ?

Thanks

get CDL training in Chicago

Are there ANY companies that offer training for a class A or B CDL in Chicago ? That are actually in the Chicago city limits.

All the places that come up in a search , show Chicago, but the actual locations are out of state.

The 3rd largest city in the Country and theres not one company

that offers training ? I'am not looking for FREE training , I'am willing

to sign up for the company for a year or two and will pay for the

training through out my employment.

Any companies out there ?

Thanks

Olive Harvey College now does. Also, other community colleges in the suburbs have advertised orientation on where to get it (i.e. Oakton).

• 5 years later...
1 hour ago, Aiden Tabucic said:

Last time I checked you don’t need CDL’s to drive CTA buses

Definitely not the case. If you checked, why don't you post a link to the source?

In fact, we know you can't, as the CTA Career PTO page says:

Required to have an acceptable driving record and a valid State of Illinois Class "B" Commercial Driver's License (CDL) or a valid State of Illinois CDL permit with the following three endorsements: KNOWLEDGE, PASSENGER and AIR BRAKES.

Submit any outstanding documentation

Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP)/Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)

How long do I have to get my CLP?

You have 30 days from time you are offered the job to get your CLP.

You will not be able to start without submitting a copy of the CLP.

I have a CLP but not a CDL. Will I need to convert it before I can start?

No. Your CTA's Bus Operator training will qualify you for your Commercial Driver's License (CDL) at no cost.

I already have my CDL. What endorsements do I need?

Knowledge, passenger, and air brakes.

I already have a CDL from another state will CTA accept it?

Out of state CDLs will be accepted if you have current residency in that state.

Illinois residents have to have obtain an Illinois CLP/CDL.

We also know @andrethebusman drove a bus. Obviously, you never have, nor "checked."

Also, rereading this thread, whatever was the prior policy, what @CTA5750 said is consistent with the current posting.

• 3 months later...

Something that's kind of weird with school buses is that they claim they are training you for a class S license. Why not just call it a class B because basically it's the same thing. Maybe because your cdl has a school bus endorsement. So I wonder does the state class those as the same license? The only difference I see is there is no air brakes endorsement. 

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Something that's kind of weird with school buses is that they claim they are training you for a class S license. Why not just call it a class B because basically it's the same thing. Maybe because your cdl has a school bus endorsement. So I wonder does the state class those as the same license? The only difference I see is there is no air brakes endorsement. 

The other thing is that those applying for licenses to drive for school buses have to submit to background checks including fingerprints.   IIRC, any CDL driver that operates a charter for a school in Illinois must go through this process.

14 hours ago, artthouwill said:

The other thing is that those applying for licenses to drive for school buses have to submit to background checks including fingerprints.   IIRC, any CDL driver that operates a charter for a school in Illinois must go through this process.

Yeah that's supposed to be a FBI background check. I think that checks the background for the life of the individual. I had to submit to one when I crossed the border into Canada last summer. But I tried crossing without a passport. I did get across though after about 45 minutes of checking and interrogation. Ironically the Canadians said the americans would give me a harder time coming back. But they only talked to me for 5 minutes and there was no car check. But I looked at it like I'm an american citizen. I could always complain to the embassy. If anything I have less rights to enter canada. 

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Had the opportunity to get a cdl so why not. I'm basically using them to get experience, but they claim they can disqualify my license if I leave within six months been driving almost 3 months now. Been talking to people some say yes they can do that some say no they cant.

(Moved from CTA 7900s topic)

An employer cannot revoke your CDL, only the state can. Some companies say things like this to make people afraid to quit, because employee turnover is high at most CDL jobs and they don't want to spend more money on hiring and training. Did you sign a contract with your current employer? It would be common for such a contract to stipulate that you may not work for a competitor, or that you must pay back your training cost, if you quit before six months of employment. That may be the source of the confusion.

Someone did tell me from a cdl driving school that the worst they can do to you is make you repay the cdl costs. Basic cdl training is worth around 3k. I notice sometimes they say it's a year and sometimes they say 6 months. So it could be bs. Mostly I'm staying for the hiring bonus. I could earn better money for the cdl I have but for the most part it's a ladder job. I'm just happy they took the time to work with me. Plus my benefits exceed 4k in free money. So it's not a big deal. I can always rideshare to supplement my income. Now take away the hiring bonus and I could be a flight risk. 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Because I didnt know about it. Been driving my life away. I've discovered the bus charters cool you can actually drive out of state if the charter goes there. Had a 40 bus charter last weekend and I'm hearing a 50 bus charter this weekend. When I got my medical card the license guy said your gonna drive out state? So what no medical card means you can drive local? Thought it was law.

DOT medical cards are a federal requirement that do not necessarily apply to intrastate drivers. In Illinois, excepted intrastate drivers do not need one. That category includes mostly school bus drivers.