South Side Green Line Ashland/63rd reconstruction

eyetube21

The CTA has posted earlier that the South Side portion of the Green Line to Ashland/63rd (Englewood Branch) will be shutdown starting next Friday, March 22nd-April 22nd for reconstruction on weekends only. Shuttle buses will operate from Garfield (55th Street) both Green and Red Line stations, make stops along the Green Line stations at Halsted Street and Ashland Avenue along 63rd Street. Cottage Grove (Jackson Park) Green Line trains are not affected. The work is due to the upcoming Red Line Construction project on May 19th. http://www.transitchicago.com/news/default.aspx?ArticleId=3159

Looks like they're getting in some practice running the free shuttles.

They've cleared up some track slow zones on the Englewood branch over the past years. Still remaining is a lot of footing work complete with temporary supports and rebracing Dr. J.A.L. Waddell's bridge tower design. That work has also been on-going for years. Gotta wonder if they'll run the the scheduled Ashland Green line trains to Cottage Grove instead to keep the normal interval on the rest of the line.

DH

Looks like they're getting in some practice running the free shuttles.

They've cleared up some track slow zones on the Englewood branch over the past years. Still remaining is a lot of footing work complete with temporary supports and rebracing Dr. J.A.L. Waddell's bridge tower design. That work has also been on-going for years. Gotta wonder if they'll run the the scheduled Ashland Green line trains to Cottage Grove instead to keep the normal interval on the rest of the line.

DH

My understanding was that the Green Line intervals between Harlem and Roosevelt are unchanged. Trains that normally would've terminated at Ashland/63 will instead terminate at Roosevelt, and Cottage Grove trains will continue to run through to 63rd/cottage Grove.

My understanding was that the Green Line intervals between Harlem and Roosevelt are unchanged. Trains that normally would've terminated at Ashland/63 will instead terminate at Roosevelt, and Cottage Grove trains will continue to run through to 63rd/cottage Grove.

CTA has posted an answer on their Facebook page.....there will be NO short-turns. All trains from Harlem including scheduled trains to Ashland/63 will run all the way to Cottage Grove. That way there will be no change in the train interval between the Loop and Garfield/Green. The train interval between Garfield and Cottage Grove as a result will double!!

This also is shown in the schedule for the IRM Snowflake where the crew lunch is listed for 14th Middle. If Green line trains had been short turning there, that would have prevented the charter having crew lunch there.

DH

CTA has posted an answer on their Facebook page.....there will be NO short-turns. All trains from Harlem including scheduled trains to Ashland/63 will run all the way to Cottage Grove. That way there will be no change in the train interval between the Loop and Garfield/Green. The train interval between Garfield and Cottage Grove as a result will double!!

This also is shown in the schedule for the IRM Snowflake where the crew lunch is listed for 14th Middle. If Green line trains had been short turning there, that would have prevented the charter having crew lunch there.

DH

For the upcoming Green Line Ashland branch contstruction, you are correct. I was referring to the Green Line operation when the Red Line project gets underway. That will be when the short turns at Roosevelt occur.

As seen Sunday from the head car on the IRM Snowflake Charter, work is progressing on the south incline of the State Street subway. The outside contractor is able to work 24/7 since the incline tracks are not used for revenue service. The first shot shows the incline where it opens up, looking south from the 1300 S. block. The second shot view construction work closer to the incline tracks becoming level with the tracks to the Loop 'L' on the outside.

P1100926.jpg

P1100929.jpg

Because the subway was built during WWII, most of the steel work had to be salvaged and reused. The charter is SB, running on the origlnal 1892 SB steelwork. The SB incline track reused the original 1892 NB steel work,lowered onto new supports. The NB incline track uses steelwork from the 1905 addition added to the south side 'L' from 12th St to 43rd St., in a construction project known as "third tracking." The far track on the left, today's current NB is "new" steelwork, built in the early 1940s. Supervisors from the contracting company were amazed at the tangle of support structures and different styles of engineering. To them it resembled a "Rube Goldberg project."

DH

• Upvote 1

Thanks Mkohut. Today I took a look at Garfield/Green checking on the progress preparing the station for the upcoming five-month shutdown and reroute of the Ryan Red line. An off-street turn-around for buses is being built on the east side of the station in an empty area that used to contain a giant courtway apartment building. Carpenters are erecting this wooden stairway on the west side next to the southbound platform. The stairs are four times wider than the regular stairs. Another staircase will also be built on the opposite side for the northbound platform. Passengers to and from the free charter buses will transfer without going through any fare gates...reminds me of terminals in Toronto. This will definately be "load 'em and go!" Hope the city doesn't forget to recalibrate stoplights on Garfield Blvd.

"This is Garfield....Transfer to Green Line trains to Cottage Grove at Garfield. This is a Red Line train to Ashland-63rd."

DH

P1100974.jpg

P1100977.jpg

• Upvote 1

I don't know about you all but I am super excited it's going to be awesome seeing the old state incline being used again In regular service, It'll be just like when I was a kid riding the trains that was my favorite part of the train ride heading down that old incline. Hopefully once the project is done they'll find a way to keep that part in service.

I don't know about you all but I am super excited it's going to be awesome seeing the old state incline being used again In regular service, It'll be just like when I was a kid riding the trains that was my favorite part of the train ride heading down that old incline. Hopefully once the project is done they'll find a way to keep that part in service.

Go over to the topic: "Is The CTA Tipping Its Hand" for a discussion about what might come later for the south side incline.

DH

Thanks Mkohut. Today I took a look at Garfield/Green checking on the progress preparing the station for the upcoming five-month shutdown and reroute of the Ryan Red line. An off-street turn-around for buses is being built on the east side of the station in an empty area that used to contain a giant courtway apartment building. Carpenters are erecting this wooden stairway on the west side next to the southbound platform. The stairs are four times wider than the regular stairs. Another staircase will also be built on the opposite side for the northbound platform. Passengers to and from the free charter buses will transfer without going through any fare gates...reminds me of terminals in Toronto. This will definately be "load 'em and go!" Hope the city doesn't forget to recalibrate stoplights on Garfield Blvd.

"This is Garfield....Transfer to Green Line trains to Cottage Grove at Garfield. This is a Red Line train to Ashland-63rd."

DH

P1100974.jpg

P1100977.jpg

Great pics. I also went to this station last week. They also built a bus terminal on the east side of the station as well. :) good job.

I can't wait either. I'm looking forward to make videos of the Red Line reroute as well. Stay tuned for it.

I took a ride this afternoon. The contractors have a depot set up at 63rd and

Stewart where there is a huge crane positioned to lift and lower their equipment

and supplies. The track work they're doing runs from Stewart east and north to

just west of the bridge over the Metra former CRI&P/NYC tracks. There is no

other work being done on the branch. Flaggers are on the street at 63rd ST.

There are still a couple of "pogo stick" supports and bracing beneath the steel structure

on the north-south portion next to the Dan Ryan Expressway.

The ironworkers have been doing this project for months and there doesn't seem

to be any rush to get it completed.

Ashland Yard is completely empty of trains. About 16 cars are stored in 61st St

Yard. I gotta get downtown to see what the south incline looks like, but today

is NCAA Basketball Day, LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

For the upcoming Green Line Ashland branch contstruction, you are correct. I was referring to the Green Line operation when the Red Line project gets underway. That will be when the short turns at Roosevelt occur.

The latest operational plan for Green line trains during the 5 month Red line shut down has every other Green line train SB from Harlem turning at Roosevelt in the am rush only. In the pm rush, every other Green line train will use the right turn at Tower 18 and "loop the Loop" running counter-clockwise on the outer loop track. At all times, Green line passengers wishing to transfer to southbound Red line trains to Ashland/63 or to the Ryan shuttle buses are to ride Green line trains signed for Cottage Grove and transfer at Garfield-Green.

45700474-92b2-4245-8d99-ca733f7ed31d.jpg

SB stairway at Garfield-Green is moving right along.

The latest operational plan for Green line trains during the 5 month Red line shut down has every other Green line train SB from Harlem turning at Roosevelt in the am rush only. In the pm rush, every other Green line train will use the right turn at Tower 18 and "loop the Loop" running counter-clockwise on the outer loop track. At all times, Green line passengers wishing to transfer to southbound Red line trains to Ashland/63 or to the Ryan shuttle buses are to ride Green line trains signed for Cottage Grove and transfer at Garfield-Green.

Or the AM Green line Ashland/63rd trips can just transfer to the Red line at Roosevelt. Any idea why they don't turn all the Green line trains destined for Ashland/63rd at Roosevelt in both the AM and PM? That would make a great transfer point for stations south of there. I wonder also are we going to see green line Roosevelt signs or Red line Ashland/63rd signs. If not there going to have the same confusion they had with the Wells street project.

Or the AM Green line Ashland/63rd trips can just transfer to the Red line at Roosevelt. Any idea why they don't turn all the Green line trains destined for Ashland/63rd at Roosevelt in both the AM and PM? That would make a great transfer point for stations south of there. I wonder also are we going to see green line Roosevelt signs or Red line Ashland/63rd signs. If not there going to have the same confusion they had with the Wells street project.

The Green Cottage Grove to Red Ashland/63 transfer at Garfield is on the same platform. A Roosevelt-Green to Red transfer would be from elevated to subway. Which is easier????

Green signs unless they spend an awful lot of money toput in new the 5000s' roll signs. Remember, they are not programmable as they are.

Green signs unless they spend an awful lot of money toput in new the 5000s' roll signs. Remember, they are not programmable as they are.

Green is supposed to be 5000s by then. Why put in electronic matrix signs if they are not programmable?

Why not either turn all of the normal Ashland Green Lines at Roosevelt, or loop all of the normally Ashland bound trains via the outer loop? I can deal with one or the other, but doing one sometimes and then the other at other times will cause confusion. .

Why not either turn all of the normal Ashland Green Lines at Roosevelt, or loop all of the normally Ashland bound trains via the outer loop? I can deal with one or the other, but doing one sometimes and then the other at other times will cause confusion. .

The turns or looping is only during rush hours. At all other times all Green line trains would go through to Cottage Grove like now on the weekends. Whats confusing. Passengers would always get off at their regular Loop stop and platform. In the pm there would be the added ability to board a Harlem bound Green line train at any Loop station.

They did explain it. The rollsigns on the 5000s are NOT electronic matrix signs. They are LED pictures of the mylar roll signs.

Which can be reprogrammed with any drawing program or Photoshop. Even on your PC.

Which can be reprogrammed with any drawing program or Photoshop. Even on your PC.

No {Purple Express During Brown Line Bridge Reroute

See Tea Eh, on 07 Mar 2013 - 11:55, said

What I've been told regarding the 5000s (I add that qualification, since I don't have first-hand experience with that equipment) is that the signs are pre-set based on the operator inputting a run number into the OCU. If they don't have a specific trip programmed into that run number, it won't be able to display whatever the alternate service pattern is.

I'm under the impression that it's apparently not a simple thing to reprogram the OCU, though it absolutely must be possible (they are computers, and computers can be reprogrammed, it's just a matter of the difficulty in doing so).

I've also been told that this was known prior to the 5000s entering service, and that some folks weren't exactly happy with that inflexibility in the design specifications. Technically speaking, there's no reason the system couldn't be programmed to have every color and every station as a destination. However, once the specs were set, changing the design of that software would have required a change order and CTA paying a bunch of money to get the system changed.

I don't know why they didn't do this, since it seems it would be worth it in many cases (any rail disruption).