3200-series - Updates

sw4400

I got pictures of the yucky seat!!:P

564d6a2968e8a_motermans_jump_seat_11-18.

or turned right side up

564d6a5c243c1_motermans_jump_seat_11-18.

Ewww I hate those ones. There's a train car on the Blue Line that has those in the entire car.

Hey watch it! Those are my favorite seats for my own privacy, especially during rush hours!!! Hell, I got shotgun at the cab window if they leave it unlocked on the 2600s!!! xDB|:P

Hey watch it! Those are my favorite seats for my own privacy, especially during rush hours!!! Hell, I got shotgun at the cab window if they leave it unlocked on the 2600s!!! xDB|:P

Like...leave the cab itself unlocked??? O.o I know the controls are locked, but still...jeez! Seems like someone could cause trouble.

I'd love to be in a cab just once though...

Did that on two Snowflake Specials. Even got to toot the horn the first time, and got my picture taken the second time. It's so exciting!

I've got some acquaintances in a Train Simulator group who say they have gotten to drive R160s in NYC because they have connections with people in the MTA.

Man, what I would do for the opportunity to be trained on the 5000-series...

"Hey, man, what's this extra bolt for?"

"Oh that's just a spare bro! Don't worry about it!"

Yeah you would think it would be working after it just got rehabbed, but it's probably a defective part. People just don't make stuff like they used to. 9_9I snapped a quick shot of it. It's been in the same spot for two days.

cta_3289-90_just_rehabbed_11-18.thumb.PN

It doesn't show a blue light there but a shot a few minutes later does

cta_3289-90_blue_light_special_11-19.thu

Edited by BusHunter

I'm going to move this to its own thread so we can find it easier, because it's a pain to have to page through the 3200 Rehabs thread to find my post and edit which ones have signs ;)

I'm gonna compile a quick list of the current rehab progress that we know of, now that signs of progress are visible.

Adjacent sets grouped together

3207-3208: LED signs
3247-3248: LED signs
3249-3250: LED signs
3275-3276: LED signs
3293-3294: LED signs
     3295: LED Interior Lighting
3305-3306: LED signs
3325-3326: LED signs
3331-3332: LED signs
3339-3340: LED signs
3347-3348: LED signs
3359-3360: LED signs
3361-3362: LED signs
3371-3372: LED signs

3377-3378: LED signs
3379-3380: LED signs

3389-3390: LED signs

3405-3406: LED signs
3407-3408: LED signs

3415-3416: LED signs

3427-3428: LED signs
3429-3430: LED signs

3445-3446: LED signs
3447-3448: LED signs

3451-3452: LED signs

Total count (signs): 48
Total count (interior lights): 1

#3403-04 has the new LED signs. It seems alot of cars have them on the brown nowadays. I'm going to have to check them out more thoroughly. 

• Upvote 1

#3403-04 has the new LED signs. It seems alot of cars have them on the brown nowadays. I'm going to have to check them out more thoroughly. 

Yeah, they started popping up so fast that I haven't really been able to keep up xD What are the cars with full rehabs so far? 3279-80 and what else?

Yeah, they started popping up so fast that I haven't really been able to keep up xD What are the cars with full rehabs so far? 3279-80 and what else?

#3279-80 was in the yard untouched as far as i know but it was dark and i could be mistaken. All I've seen is #3289-90 and #3443-44 both of which didn't have the signs done before so they can be added to your list. I might have seen something rehabbed in the kimball shop but i couldn't be sure.

I've got some acquaintances in a Train Simulator group who say they have gotten to drive R160s in NYC because they have connections with people in the MTA.

Man, what I would do for the opportunity to be trained on the 5000-series...

I'd also want to be trained on the 3200s and possibly the 2600s to get a feel for DC motored equipment (and because the 3200s are my favorite).

Yeah you would think it would be working after it just got rehabbed, but it's probably a defective part. People just don't make stuff like they used to. 9_9I snapped a quick shot of it. It's been in the same spot for two days...

Hey, at least it has shiny new wheels to roll around on! :P

I'd also want to be trained on the 3200s and possibly the 2600s to get a feel for DC motored equipment (and because the 3200s are my favorite).

Hey, at least it has shiny new wheels to roll around on! :P

Yeah, the 2600s and 3200s would be fun too. The 2600s have the forward-backward lever somewhat akin to the 5000s and the 3200s have the "cineston" (?) controller. Heck, just train me on everything! I don't want a job there, just train me! xD

Yeah, the 2600s and 3200s would be fun too. The 2600s have the forward-backward lever somewhat akin to the 5000s and the 3200s have the "cineston" (?) controller. Heck, just train me on everything! I don't want a job there, just train me! xD

Correct. However the controller for the 2600s appears to be on a pivot, so it kind of rotates when you're using it, as opposed to the pure forwards and backwards lever on the 5000s. I snapped the shot below when I was in a 2200 series car, but they generally have the same levers as the 2600s. At least more similar than the 5000s!

DSC01460.thumb.jpg.c8427f07f904431195195

As for the 3200s, they do have a different setup as you described, though I'm not sure if it's a true Cineston controller (I haven't researched them enough).

• Upvote 1

Like...leave the cab itself unlocked??? O.o I know the controls are locked, but still...jeez! Seems like someone could cause trouble.

I'd love to be in a cab just once though...

There's nothing on the left side except the locked door control. May as well provide 2 seats in the 7 cars following the lead one.

The practice, prior to the 2400s, was to lock the cab door over the controls in front and let passengers sit on the bench seat in the cab. The 2200s were originally designed so that the back wall (or part of it) collapsed over the right cab window and the cab door lock engaged that, making it look like there wasn't a cab. The permanently locked cab started with the 2400s "for security reasons" because some controls were on the ceiling.

If you want to talk about something really insecure,the cabs in the single units (1-50) were supposed to be locked, but passengers somehow figured how to raise the metal "shade" and open the cab door from the inside (see the picture, with the "shade" up here).

• Upvote 3

There's nothing on the left side except the locked door control. May as well provide 2 seats in the 7 cars following the lead one.

The practice, prior to the 2400s, was to lock the cab door over the controls in front and let passengers sit on the bench seat in the cab. The 2200s were originally designed so that the back wall (or part of it) collapsed over the right cab window and the cab door lock engaged that, making it look like there wasn't a cab. The permanently locked cab started with the 2400s "for security reasons" because some controls were on the ceiling.

If you want to talk about something really insecure,the cabs in the single units (1-50) were supposed to be locked, but passengers somehow figured how to raise the metal "shade" and open the cab door from the inside (see the picture, with the "shade" up here).

I'm aware they leave the left-side open; it sounded like garmon was implying that the cab door itself was unlocked :P 

5 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

The back one on the 5000s are always lit. Nothing new about it. 

But the difference is that a 5000 has a data bus to handle it, a 3200 doesn't appear to be. They made a big deal in the specs that the destination signs had to be compatible with the existing wiring, but the run box roll signs were never remotely controlled from the cab.

20 minutes ago, Busjack said:

But the difference is that a 5000 has a data bus to handle it, a 3200 doesn't appear to be. They made a big deal in the specs that the destination signs had to be compatible with the existing wiring, but the run box roll signs were never remotely controlled from the cab.

Correct but the question is, how did they pull that off with #3443-44? It's making me wonder if they already have the specific wires installed on the pre-rehabbed cars. Otherwise, how are the LED destination signs working when coupled with the roll curtain signed cars? Oh by the way, someone on Facebook is wondering if #3458 is going to have LED run number box! :P