Ravenswood Connector project

Tcmetro

I found a blurb about this project on the CTA slow zone page, does anyone have more information?

In October 2012, Mayor Emanuel announced a major slow zone remediation
project on the Brown and Purple Lines between the Merchandise Mart and
Armitage Avenue, known as the Ravenswood Connector, which will undergo a
$66 million structure and track rehabilitation starting in 2013.

http://www.transitchicago.com/news_initiatives/slowzoneelimination.aspx

http://www.transitchicago.com/news/default.aspx?Month=&Year=&Category=2&ArticleId=3095

When a project like this is undertaken, how much of the structure is replaced? Are all of the ties and rails replaced also?

I found a blurb about this project on the CTA slow zone page, does anyone have more information?

http://www.transitchicago.com/news_initiatives/slowzoneelimination.aspx

http://www.transitchicago.com/news/default.aspx?Month=&Year=&Category=2&ArticleId=3095

When a project like this is undertaken, how much of the structure is replaced? Are all of the ties and rails replaced also?

This came up about half a year ago.

My reaction then was "they claimed to have fixed the Brown Line from Merchandise Mart north as part of the $500 million project, so why are they doing it again?" Answer seems to be the usual CTA Homer Simpson/Shary Bobbins job, such as CTA just finishing ~$90 million job on the North Main, and then the CTA Tattler reporting that the slow zones are just as bad, supposedly because they didn't change the crossovers

Apparently, while CTA rebuilt a couple of substations on the Brown Line, it didn't rebuild one in this territory. Other than that, it probably will be track work similar to what was just done on the curve.

• Upvote 2

This came up about half a year ago.

My reaction then was "they claimed to have fixed the Brown Line from Merchandise Mart north as part of the $500 million project, so why are they doing it again?" Answer seems to be the usual CTA Homer Simpson/Shary Bobbins job, such as CTA just finishing ~$90 million job on the North Main, and then the CTA Tattler reporting that the slow zones are just as bad, supposedly because they didn't change the crossovers

Apparently, while CTA rebuilt a couple of substations on the Brown Line, it didn't rebuild one in this territory. Other than that, it probably will be track work similar to what was just done on the curve.

I ride this section every day, it is pretty obvious they never did any track work, most of the ties still use spike plates. The same page does say the following:

Brown Line, Ravenswood Branch from Southport to Western. Slow zone elimination completed October 2008 included major tie replacement work to eliminate slow zones through the elevated portions of the branch.

I really haven't seen any noticeable work on the Ravenswood Connector yet, though they do have trailers and equipment staged right by Walter Payton HS where the track curves around the bend. I am curious too as to what this work will entail, the structure really could use some maintenance & painting.

I ride this section every day, it is pretty obvious they never did any track work, most of the ties still use spike plates. The same page does say the following:

I really haven't seen any noticeable work on the Ravenswood Connector yet, though they do have trailers and equipment staged right by Walter Payton HS where the track curves around the bend. I am curious too as to what this work will entail, the structure really could use some maintenance & painting.

I'll agree with Jack with this: It's Good to know they've not fixed a thing since I graduated from there.

As for the PR: It really doesn't tell us much outside of "structural changes," for all we know could be track replacement or the structures themselves.

I think this track rehabilitation has been worked on occasionally already. There were some weekends where Loop-bound trains were sharing a track between Irving Park and Southport and some where Kimball-bound trains were sharing a track. I haven't seen that recently, but it has been done in the past. The furthest they've single-tracked was to Belmont for "track maintenance".

I personally have seen workers on the Brown Line near Grace. I don't know if they are doing work or track inspections.

I think this track rehabilitation has been worked on occasionally already. There were some weekends where Loop-bound trains were sharing a track between Irving Park and Southport and some where Kimball-bound trains were sharing a track. I haven't seen that recently, but it has been done in the past. The furthest they've single-tracked was to Belmont for "track maintenance".

I personally have seen workers on the Brown Line near Grace. I don't know if they are doing work or track inspections.

This job is supposedly south of Armitage.

I noticed some tie replacement on the track section south of North Ave just to the east of the S curve. I board at Sedgwick every morning and have noticed a lot of WA zones near this S curve recently. I remember this being announced along with the Iron Workers contract so I assume it is a lot more than just track work but I have not seen any iron work taking place.

• 1 month later...

The Chicago Tribune top 13 Construction Projects Story

From: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-01-15/news/ct-met-top-13-transportation-projects-20130115_1_ventra-transportation-projects-single-fare-card/2

Battling 'slow zones'

A $66 million CTA project to reduce "slow zones" is set for the fall between the Merchandise Mart and Armitage Avenue on the Brown and Purple lines along a segment known as the Ravenswood Connector. Aging tracks and deteriorated equipment will be replaced, leading to faster commutesicon1.png, officials said.

Brown Line and Purple Line/Evanston Express service over the Wells Street bridge will be suspended during two nine-day periods in early March and late April to accommodate a $41.2 million reconstruction of the drawbridge.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like work on this is finally going to start soon:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-cta-brown-purple-evanston-express-20130906,0,4417238.story

Structural repairs along the stretch, called the Ravenswood Connector and built in the late 1800s, will be done mostly late at night and on weekends. Trains will operate on a single track during these times, resulting in longer travel times and some occasional changes in boarding locations at stations, officials said.

After the elevated structure is repaired, the CTA will replace deteriorated rail ties and track components in 2014, officials said.

When you read this.Is another example of Claypool doesn't know whats he talking about.

http://www.transitchicago.com/news/default.aspx?ArticleId=3206

Where does he get his 700 number from

Also,the number of riders

That doesn't seem so far off. In the rush hour, if the Brown Line is running every 4 to 6 minutes, that's somewhere between 10 and 15 trains an hour southbound, and then of course returning northbound, making 30 trains an hour or maybe 500 total (my rough estimate).

Add in a 47 Purple Line trains from Linden to the Loop, and another 47 of the same trains going back, and it is at least over 600.

Someone other than me can say whether the above includes Brownage trains, which have to go north of the Loop and then back south.

The number of riders is undoubtedly based on the same method as the Ridership Report, i.e. number of boardings and estimated cross platform transfers, as well as a packed L car holding about 80 passengers.

And, as the PR system usually works, Claypool didn't actually say that; someone on staff told the copy writer to insert the quote. All Press Releases have to have quotes.

When you look at the June ridership report.There were over 60,000 Weekdays riders.

The Brown Line has 32 Run numbers every weekday .Each run does about 5 trips a day Add another 10 trips for Brownageand 94 trips for Purple.Line. That about 430 trips total.

Except that entrances at Belmont and Fullerton count as Red Line, plus one doesn't know how entrances at Loop stations are allocated among the 5 lines using the Loop.

The trip total doesn't equal run numbers, because one crew may have several trips under one run number (the run number being assigned to the crew, which is, in this case, one operator). But, as I said, my guess was only a rough estimate; you may be closer, not that it makes that much difference.

Except that entrances at Belmont and Fullerton count as Red Line, plus one doesn't know how entrances at Loop stations are allocated among the 5 lines using the Loop.

The trip total doesn't equal run numbers, because one crew may have several trips under one run number (the run number being assigned to the crew, which is, in this case, one operator). But, as I said, my guess was only a rough estimate; you may be closer, not that it makes that much difference.

Your numbers and mine are a lot closer then people getting pay 153,000 a year.