2000s run @ IRM

buslist

That's about 20 years after delivery, as the first assignment was on Lake, and then Lake-Dan Ryan. As rjl noted, they were repainted platinum and black in about 1974 to have them blend in better with the 2200s. What is depicted in the IRM units is probably the 4th paint scheme.

I seem to recall that in the early days of the Dan Ryan, they did not run mixed with the 2200s, but if that was the case, that quickly changed.

Looking at the train gallery of the 2000's at Chicago-l.org and reading the descriptions on the pictures; while I can't find photos of a mixed train, the quote from cta2054.jpg in Gallery 1 makes me think that some alpine white and mint green 2000's ran with the 2200's mixed before the livery change, which was in 1972.

• Upvote 1

The old videos are great and bring back so many memories. First and foremost the sound of a real person making station announcements instead of the canned garbage we have now. In the couple of instances where you can see real time station stops, they were so much quicker than they are now...not to mention the skip stops. Talk about speeding up things...skip stops and conductors...wow ! Other things to notice are the changes in configurations over the years at towers 12 and 18 not to mention Cermak Road...all before the Midway addition and the Howard-Dan Ryan thru service as well as the operation of the Loop Shuttle. Also the sharpness of the S curve at Wabash and Congress as well as no barrier at Wabash and Lake (prior to the 1977 crash of course). And to see C&NW trains in gold and green really warms my heart. Thanks David.

• Upvote 3

The old videos are great and bring back so many memories. First and foremost the sound of a real person making station announcements instead of the canned garbage we have now....

I don't know if I recollect fondly the old "mumble mumble Fullerton mumble mumble subway" especially in the 6000 series cars and the like. Bruce Wolf used to do a good impression of those, though.

I don't know if I recollect fondly the old "mumble mumble Fullerton mumble mumble subway" especially in the 6000 series cars and the like. Bruce Wolf used to do a good impression of those, though.

The first conductor PA's were the 6201-6470 PCCs. Those cars had the conductor cab opposite the motorman's cab. The PA was "tube" and you had to wait a few seconds for them to "warm-up." From 6471 on up, the conductor position was in the odd numbered car, but the PAs were solid-state" and came on instantly. By then the "flat-door" 6000s, 6001-6200, had conductor positions' moved to the inside of the odd numbered car.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I remembered is 2001-2002 but I could be wrong because I seen on old NS line in the 1980's.

According to chicago-l.org, it was 2029-2030. It was the only pair that went straight from the green/white livery to the "Spirit of Chicago" livery without first being repainted platinum and black.