900's OOS

andrethebusman

Since this order was made essentially before the ISEs barely got a workout, I'm sure the only motivation (besides hiding that the NABIs were going) is that the only way to get a bus quick was to take the Seattle spec. Remember, these were not bid.

Right, meaning any speculation into the 800s and 900s having any sway on getting the 4000s or on the type of hybrid drive technology powering them is totally unfounded. 800s and 900s went into service the second half of 2007. The 4000s were just barely going into service the beginning of 2008. It should be remembered that there weren't anywhere close to enough to be in use on the 6, 14, 145/148, 146, 147, etc when the NABIs got pulled, and that the artic numbers didn't really recover significantly enough to ease the heavier use of 40 footers on the LSD express routes and other artic routes until about the middle of that summer when 4149 was delivered and the stimulus 4000s were beginning to roll in.

Link.

With regard to "All (8) units are in "not possible to operate condition and sold as one lot. " I wonder what put them in that condition, or if CTA is just saying that so as not to make a representation to potential bidders.

And note someone goofed and listed the model as D40LF when they're DE40LFs. Amazing how those working in the local government entities don't proofread. :P:lol:

To be fair, the builders plates do show D40LF, so it's a Flyer goof. :wacko:

I see Lothian beat me; see for instance, this picture.

And of course not all "transit"* workers know the difference between their bus models.

*Taking note that a lot transit agencies, including our own, get led by folks with no true transit experience or expertise.

.... $8000 min bid for lot....

That's not exactly correct. It might have been $8000 bid at that moment, but now the bid is $16,001.

The site points out that the "reserve" has not been met, but notes in the pop up "A reserve price is the lowest amount a seller is willing to accept for an item. If an auction closes below the reserve price, neither buyer nor seller is required to complete the purchase." Also, "Public Surplus will not disclose the reserve price to buyers at any time. For auctions with a reserve price, we will display a message next to the current price on the auction page telling you whether the reserve has been met or not." So, if you want this scrap, you probably have to bid higher.

I really like the part where they say they have to return the tires within 10 days or be fined $300 a tire per the contract. Still though not a bad deal at 16K if they can sell parts off the bus or if this is this just for crunching and selling the metal then maybe not. If CTA strips it down good to where it's basically a shell then I can't see how the metal alone is worth 16K plus the transport costs involved. Maybe that's why it only has one bidder.

I really like the part where they say they have to return the tires within 10 days or be fined $300 a tire per the contract. Still though not a bad deal at 16K if they can sell parts off the bus or if this is this just for crunching and selling the metal then maybe not. If CTA strips it down good to where it's basically a shell then I can't see how the metal alone is worth 16K plus the transport costs involved. Maybe that's why it only has one bidder.

Obviously there is more than one bidder if the bid went up from $8000 to $16,001. The popup on bidding being extended notes that bidding gets hot near the end (as it did for the 2 L cars).

Update: I didn't see the "Bid History" link.

So long as the bidder scraps the bus (as opposed to trying to use it as a motor vehicle) it is up to the scrapper to figure out how to maximize the take. For instance, I assume that Cummins engines for remanufacturing have to come from somewhere, and each bus has one of those.

The stuff about that the bidder has to remove the fluids and the like indicates that CTA hasn't even taken the usual steps to drain the bus before shipping it to the scrapper.

It has been mentioned before that the item about the tires is because CTA leases the tires.

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys, the 900s has been concluded. #907 has been retired. It's in the back and it's wrapped ad has been stripped. I'm really disappointed that they didn't last that long.

Well to put this in some perspective, they were never really meant to be full life 12 year buses like the 1000s. They and the 800s were only meant to be a short term test of their hybrid technologies against Chicago road and weather conditions similar to the 5900s test. So in that regard they actually lasted much longer than expected.

Well to put this in some perspective, they were never really meant to be full life 12 year buses like the 1000s. They and the 800s were only meant to be a short term test of their hybrid technologies against Chicago road and weather conditions similar to the 5900s test. So in that regard they actually lasted much longer than expected.

Indeed. I'm not gonna lie, but I really thought those could've been rehabbed but it's all good though.

Indeed. I'm not gonna lie, but I really thought those could've been rehabbed but it's all good though.

For 20 buses, it wouldn't be worth it(figure the overhaul would've been $XX,000,000 total for all 20 buses), it just wouldn't be worth the money. I'm sure the CTA Board argued back in 2005 about rehabbing 65 New Flyers because of the cost of that alone for the amount of buses they had(contract for the rehab was 7.3 million). They're not going to openly say there was debate about spending capital funds on such a small fleet, but I'm sure there was. It made sense to rehab the Flxibles(330 buses) because there was enough buses to make this worth it. If they had purchased about 530 Novas in 2000-2002, they probably wouldn't have even spent the 7.3 to rehab the New Flyers and just would've retired them in 2007.