Illegal videos of CTA?

I was just wondering if it would be illegal to upload a video anything bus related within a garage to youtube.The video is about 5 years old but I've been back and fourth on whether or not I should upload it.The video itself is nothing negative its just a camera on the dashboard of in service Metro E pulling in for service and etc.

I was just wondering if it would be illegal to upload a video anything bus related within a garage to youtube.The video is about 5 years old but I've been back and fourth on whether or not I should upload it.The video itself is nothing negative its just a camera on the dashboard of in service Metro E pulling in for service and etc.

My take on it is that since you already have the video, you can upload it, provided you own the video (copyright). Youtube really only cares if it violates its terms of service or copyright laws. If the CTA really doesn't want you to upload it, they'll go through the effort to ask you to take it down, but since there's nothing negative about it, I don't see that happening yet.

I'd still wait for someone with more knowledge about this topic to provide their own two cents before uploading the video. I've only had problems with trying to take videos, not uploading them.

You may also look at the CTA's photo and video policy for the general public.

• Upvote 3

Thanks for the info, I mean I've been recording and videotaping buses of cta for at least 7 years and it has been a hassle on figuring out what to upload and what not to upload and keep private.

As MTRSP correctly points out, if it is your own work, there isn't any copyright problem. The only other issue would be if there was some invasion of privacy, but if you are recording in public areas where you have the right to be, that shouldn't be a problem.

• Upvote 3

If it was during a CTA public event or if you were (or are) a CTA employee, then post it, but with caution. In the age of information technology, if it's to the point that it could cause red flags and does not meet CTA's photo and video policy, then personally i wouldn't post. Also caution, that CTA brass frowns upon the general public (if you are) taking photos of unauthorized areas without consent. Now, this is just a cautionary tale, but from what i am reading, members seem to steering you in the right direction. Good Luck!

It's not of a Flxible Metro deadheading to South Shops getting off the 294 at 79th and being driven down a street full of potholes to the garage, and some videos of a New Flyer servicing the Chicago Auto Show, is it(all captured from a camera on the dashboard)?

It's not of a Flxible Metro deadheading to South Shops getting off the 294 at 79th and being driven down a street full of potholes to the garage, and some videos of a Flxible Metro servicing the Chicago Auto Show, is it(all captured from a camera on the dashboard)?

Yes indeed that would be it and its kind of strange of how I found it on some weird website outside of Google because that time there was this one guy who had multiple sound clips of NF's,Flx's and all kinds of need stuff on his page but he took it all down after a while, however the other videos mentioned I do not have or heard of except one I saw on YouTube back from 1996 during a political event.

Yes indeed that would be it and its kind of strange of how I found it on some weird website outside of Google because that time there was this one guy who had multiple sound clips of NF's,Flx's and all kinds of need stuff on his page but he took it all down after a while, however the other videos mentioned I do not have or heard of except one I saw on YouTube back from 1996 during a political event.

I can tell you that those videos have an owner, who is a member of chicagobus.org. He did put them up for viewing at one time but removed them due to concerns of his job possibly being terminated if CTA saw them up on the web. I would highly, highly suggest that you contact this member here regarding these videos before you put them up or put links to them. You could be putting his job in jeopardy if you do. These videos are great to watch(I viewed them from him posting them years back), and with permission, would be great to view again.

He hasn't been on here since June 17, 2014, but before you post/link these videos, contact him for permission. He is the owner of these videos.

I can tell you that those videos have an owner, who is a member of chicagobus.org. He did put them up for viewing at one time but removed them due to concerns of his job possibly being terminated if CTA saw them up on the web. I would highly, highly suggest that you contact this member here regarding these videos before you put them up or put links to them. You could be putting his job in jeopardy if you do. These videos are great to watch(I viewed them from him posting them years back), and with permission, would be great to view again.

He hasn't been on here since June 17, 2014, but before you post/link these videos, contact him for permission. He is the owner of these videos.

Oh trust me I will do that since you told me where to find him and since I've finally been told about the origin of the person and the videos I will keep them private until further notice and confirmation from him to see if I can upload them. B)

Oh trust me I will do that since you told me where to find him and since I've finally been told about the origin of the person and the videos I will keep them private until further notice and confirmation from him to see if I can upload them. B)

sw made a good point. The assumption above (to which i referred) was that it was your own work. Since he found out that it was not, you don't have permission to post it.

In any event, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 is correct that the YouTube terms of service control, especially:

6B "...You affirm, represent, and warrant that you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to publish Content you submit..."

6D: "You further agree that Content you submit to the Service will not contain third party copyrighted material, or material that is subject to other third party proprietary rights, unless you have permission from the rightful owner of the material or you are otherwise legally entitled to post the material and to grant YouTube all of the license rights granted herein."

8 incorporates the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which I have mentioned here before.

Finally, JuniorZ is correct that if any of it was shot on CTA property, its policies also apply.

• Upvote 1

sw made a good point. The assumption above (to which i referred) was that it was your own work. Since he found out that it was not, you don't have permission to post it.

In any event, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 is correct that the YouTube terms of service control, especially:

6B "...You affirm, represent, and warrant that you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to publish Content you submit..."

6D: "You further agree that Content you submit to the Service will not contain third party copyrighted material, or material that is subject to other third party proprietary rights, unless you have permission from the rightful owner of the material or you are otherwise legally entitled to post the material and to grant YouTube all of the license rights granted herein."

8 incorporates the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which I have mentioned here before.

Finally, JuniorZ is correct that if any of it was shot on CTA property, its policies also apply.

Thanks

Busjack, my main concern is the owner of the video and his job status if the photos get uploaded. If YoungBusLover asks him and he says "Go ahead." then that's enough permission. He knows what videos are being uploaded and the ramifications if CTA sees them are, since he originally put them up years ago. Do you ever really visit YouTube and see how many Digital Millennium Copyright Act violations there really are? People stealing videos and posting them? People posting illegal video and audio clips of copyrighted work? You're talking about "J" Walking in Cyber World. Some will no doubt get caught while millions go without getting caught.... I've seen videos and revisited them only to find them blocked or removed due to copyright claims, but it's so few and far in-between it's nearly impossible to do. YouTube Admins can only do so much to enforce the DMCA.

What YoungBusLover is doing here is a direct way to get permission from the owner of the videos. I doubt the owner who posted them has a Digital Copyright to them, despite him being the original owner of them. If the world followed the copyright law to the letter, there would be no YouTube, no Facebook, Twitter or any social media whatsoever. He is going about it the right way here though, through my guidance....

I've seen numerous videos of people posting videos in Target, Walmart, Jewel-Osco, Wrigley Field, U.S Cellular Field just to be local here, but I don't see Target Corp., Walmart Corp., Albertsons, the Chicago Cubs or White Sox blocking those videos from being uploaded.

Personally, I don't know if I'd want a Digital Copyright if I was a YouTube poster.... it's doesn't seem 100% free.... and if someone does steal your work(which people have been doing for a long time on YouTube and other social media sites), you can have it professionally removed for starting at $199 or do-it-yourself takedowns starting at $10/month($120/year). DMCA

So if they aren't his videos, I'm not sure what to say. Copyright is a whole different ball game. However, I don't want anyone to lose their job over this.

On another note, I noticed that someone posted a Youtube video of them landing a plane in Flight Simulator, but they sampled one of my airplane videos for landing/ambient sounds. When I first found out, I wasn't sure if I should be mad that they did without my permission, or be happy they thought my video was good enough for that kind of stuff. :ph34r:

Busjack, my main concern is the owner of the video and his job status if the photos get uploaded. If YoungBusLover asks him and he says "Go ahead." then that's enough permission. He knows what videos are being uploaded and the ramifications if CTA sees them are, since he originally put them up years ago. Do you ever really visit YouTube and see how many Digital Millennium Copyright Act violations there really are? People stealing videos and posting them? People posting illegal video and audio clips of copyrighted work? You're talking about "J" Walking in Cyber World. Some will no doubt get caught while millions go without getting caught.... I've seen videos and revisited them only to find them blocked or removed due to copyright claims, but it's so few and far in-between it's nearly impossible to do. YouTube Admins can only do so much to enforce the DMCA.

What YoungBusLover is doing here is a direct way to get permission from the owner of the videos. I doubt the owner who posted them has a Digital Copyright to them, despite him being the original owner of them. If the world followed the copyright law to the letter, there would be no YouTube, no Facebook, Twitter or any social media whatsoever. He is going about it the right way here though, through my guidance....

I've seen numerous videos of people posting videos in Target, Walmart, Jewel-Osco, Wrigley Field, U.S Cellular Field just to be local here, but I don't see Target Corp., Walmart Corp., Albertsons, the Chicago Cubs or White Sox blocking those videos from being uploaded.

Personally, I don't know if I'd want a Digital Copyright if I was a YouTube poster.... it's doesn't seem 100% free.... and if someone does steal your work(which people have been doing for a long time on YouTube and other social media sites), you can have it professionally removed for starting at $199 or do-it-yourself takedowns starting at $10/month($120/year). DMCA

I've seen signs on the doors at several stores that no photography or video recording is allowed. Now all they can do is kick you out, but the store won't own the copyright of the video or photos. They can't make you erase the photo & certainly can't take the camera from you, that's theft. Cameras are not on the banned list at either Wrigley or Sox Park, so photos & videos are allowed, except ones of the game itself, but that would only apply if you posted it on YouTube or some other site or tried to sell it.

Busjack, my main concern is the owner of the video and his job status if the photos get uploaded. If YoungBusLover asks him and he says "Go ahead." then that's enough permission. He knows what videos are being uploaded and the ramifications if CTA sees them are, since he originally put them up years ago. ...

That's a valid concern. There were all sorts of bus drivers who posted pictures here and then took them down, apparently for that reason. Personally, I don't know what the big deal was posting a picture of a bus sitting in Markham with the back end burned out, but if that is TA policy, it isn't worth jeopardizing one's job.

.... Do you ever really visit YouTube and see how many Digital Millennium Copyright Act violations there really are?....

The notice on YouTube is because the owner demanded that the video be removed, and YouTube had no choice but to do so. CBS has successfully demanded that YouTube remove all of its stuff like that.

Your argument is similar to someone arguing that shoplifting is not a crime, because not everyone gets caught. I don't know how it is by Jewel (i.e. they have cameras all over the ones by me, but I don't know if Jewel prosecutes), but several people think that Joe Caputo's (in a former Dominick's) is an easy mark. The ones who stole a shopping cart full of meat got caught, those who stole a shopping cart full of liquor (now called Spirtis) have not, according to the Police Blotter. Likewise, someone I know thinks it is o.k. to open one of the cello bags of grapes and eat a few, then throw the bag back on the counter. I don't think so. She claimed that a clerk at Dominick's (the same one) said it was o.k., to which my response was "is he working at Dominick's now?"

You should note that all reputable sites, such as YouTube, Wikimedia Commons, and ChicagoBus.org have the same terms of service, and for obvious reasons.

On another note, I noticed that someone posted a Youtube video of them landing a plane in Flight Simulator, but they sampled one of my airplane videos for landing/ambient sounds. When I first found out, I wasn't sure if I should be mad that they did without my permission, or be happy they thought my video was good enough for that kind of stuff. :ph34r:

If you don't like it, you can send YouTube a notice to delete it.

What you have is a more complicated situation in that the publisher of Flight Simulator owns the copyright to that, but what you have is a derivative work, so you own the copyright to that.

I've seen signs on the doors at several stores that no photography or video recording is allowed. Now all they can do is kick you out, but the store won't own the copyright of the video or photos. They can't make you erase the photo & certainly can't take the camera from you, that's theft. Cameras are not on the banned list at either Wrigley or Sox Park, so photos & videos are allowed, except ones of the game itself, but that would only apply if you posted it on YouTube or some other site or tried to sell it.

The video is your own work, but if you violate the sign saying no photography, you are a trespasser, and thus if you post, violate the law for that reason. That basically is what is behind JuniorZ's point that you aren't supposed to photograph on CTA property, such as in a garage. It isn't any different than someone going to a movie theater, recording a movie, and then selling pirate DVDs, or putting it on YouTube.

If you don't like it, you can send YouTube a notice to delete it.

What you have is a more complicated situation in that the publisher of Flight Simulator owns the copyright to that, but what you have is a derivative work, so you own the copyright to that...

Good point. Thanks. I consider myself an easygoing person, so I'm not going to pursue anything.

...The video is your own work, but if you violate the sign saying no photography, you are a trespasser, and thus if you post, violate the law for that reason. That basically is what is behind JuniorZ's point that you aren't supposed to photograph on CTA property, such as in a garage. It isn't any different than someone going to a movie theater, recording a movie, and then selling pirate DVDs, or putting it on YouTube.

This was my main concern at the beginning of the thread, so I'm glad that you were able to explain it thoroughly.

I hope no one thinks I'm a thief or anything of that sorts because I have a lot of original content of my own on my channel don't get me wrong and I know the guidelines of copyrighted material and that's why I asked about this certain issue because it's been bugging me since I first accessed the content 5 years ago.Also I gained a little more perspective and knowledge from this topic which is a big plus. B)

I hope no one thinks I'm a thief or anything of that sorts because I have a lot of original content of my own on my channel don't get me wrong and I know the guidelines of copyrighted material and that's why I asked about this certain issue because it's been bugging me since I first accessed the content 5 years ago.Also I gained a little more perspective and knowledge from this topic which is a big plus. B)

I don't.... a thief would've just said "I got these videos, I'm putting them up on my channel without consent from the owner!!!" You are at least trying to find the owner to get permission. You know who it is now, you may ask him.... the worst he could say is "No, don't post them.", and that's all you need to know. If he says "Sure." then you know you may post them but maybe mention his preferred alias on the video description so they know where the video comes from(or a link to his channel if he gives consent).

• Upvote 2