Washington, DC

attachicon.gif...

What was the deal with the bus ordering at Hooters or Food Shop (orange food court sign)?

What's interesting to me is that DC is still using manual hand cracked run boxes and not electronic ones.

Some were, some weren't. It seems like they still have their messed up route numbering system, but at least it isn't 3 roll signs plus the destination one, as it was.

I guess the other surprising thing is that all buses are now in the current livery.

The DC Streetcar should've been running at the end of 13. I'm not surprised that it hasn't opened yet.

Since you made me look, there was a story on NBC4 just a couple of days ago that the project itself was in jeopardy (and since it was being done by DDOT and not WMATA, not in Maryland B) ).

The other thing I noticed is that while the old trolley books said that DC never allowed overhead wire and insisted on a conduit in the street when trolleys were run by a private company, the video clearly shows overhead.

Wow, the bus seats in DC look really plush/squishy compared to ours.

Not really. The flip up ones look the same, and the only difference with the others is the supposed "headrest." They seem to have the same fabric as CTA's.

They sure aren't like the "suburban" seats on Pace 6377-6391.

Not really. The flip up ones look the same, and the only difference with the others is the supposed "headrest." They seem to have the same fabric as CTA's...

I don't know, I think it looks like more padding, less plastic borders to me.

Not like I can easily go there and do a sitting test though (I wish).

What was the deal with the bus ordering at Hooters or Food Shop (orange food court sign)?

Some were, some weren't. It seems like they still have their messed up route numbering system, but at least it isn't 3 roll signs plus the destination one, as it was.

I guess the other surprising thing is that all buses are now in the current livery.

I guess I should have said for some buses. But yeah they do still have that confusing numbering system. From what I remember of what I researched, routes with the letter prefixed run in the Virginia part of the service area, those with just a number in DC and Maryland, and those with the letter suffixed also in DC and Maryland. I think I got that right. :lol:

I guess I should have said for some buses. But yeah they do still have that confusing numbering system. From what I remember of what I researched, routes with the letter prefixed run in the Virginia part of the service area, those with just a number in DC and Maryland, and those with the letter suffixed also in DC and Maryland. I think I got that right. :lol:

Its the other way around. Maryland is prefixed and Virginia is suffixed.

I don't know, I think it looks like more padding, less plastic borders to me.

Not like I can easily go there and do a sitting test though (I wish).

Clicking through again, I guess you were referring to Image 7 in post #2, while my reference was to image 3 in post #3. Sorry for the confusion.

Leif Dormsijo (new head of DDOT) stated that there would be no more arbitrary start dates. Just endless testing. The streetcars do work in heavy snow though, once roads have been cleared. The seats in DC are more comfortable than Chicago. The only buses not in new livery are the Orions V's, which are scheduled to be retired. Overhead wires were banned in what is described as L'Enfant City (original DC) and Georgetown. A special exemption was made for H St

Its the other way around. Maryland is prefixed and Virginia is suffixed.

I had a feeling I got those reversed. Thanks. At Busjack's mention of all now being in the current livery finally, it dawned on me that All of NewFlyerMCI's pictures are of local buses. WMATA does similar to LA Metro in having different liveries to distinguish their buses between local (red/silver as in the above pics), express (blue/silver with the blue in the position of the red on local buses) and as of last year what appear to be BRT services, which WMATA calls Metroway (blue). This Metroway service is so operated with about 11 NABI 42 BRT HEV buses. They have what they describe as MetroExtra, limited stop service along route corridors that need extra and faster service (buses are like a turquoise blue color). The REX route is now currently classified as MetroExtra, I'm guessing since the REX buses have been repainted in the MetroExtra scheme as of last summer.

I had a feeling I got those reversed. Thanks. At Busjack's mention of all now being in the current livery finally, it dawned on me that All of NewFlyerMCI's pictures are of local buses. WMATA does similar to LA Metro in having different liveries to distinguish their buses between local (red/silver as in the above pics), express (blue/silver with the blue in the position of the red on local buses) and as of last year what appear to be BRT services, which WMATA calls Metroway (blue). This Metroway service is so operated with about 11 NABI 42 BRT HEV buses. They have what they describe as MetroExtra, limited stop service along route corridors that need extra and faster service (buses are like a turquoise blue color). The REX route is now currently classified as MetroExtra, I'm guessing since the REX buses have been repainted in the MetroExtra scheme as of last summer.

A couple pictures in post #1 are in express livery, as well as the one with the surburban style seating. On another note, some in DC were upset that Metroway started in Alexandria instead of DC. No believes the minority of people who insist (and prove) that WMATA (at least the trains) was never really built for DC. One look at the Red and Yellow Lines can lend credibility to that.

Similarly, the new NABI's (meant to replace the Orion V's) started with the #8000's. Almost like #7900's in Chicago.

Surprised Vinne Mac hasn't yet made a visit. Maybe I'm safe...

• 2 weeks later...

post-1431-0-96959200-1424121898_thumb.jppost-1431-0-14210200-1424121900_thumb.jppost-1431-0-14677000-1424121901_thumb.jppost-1431-0-96003500-1424121901_thumb.jppost-1431-0-65963400-1424121902_thumb.jppost-1431-0-98906700-1424121903_thumb.jppost-1431-0-77349700-1424121904_thumb.jppost-1431-0-81830600-1424121905_thumb.jppost-1431-0-13611000-1424121907_thumb.jp

Unfortunately, DC has a worse articulated problem than Chicago (problem being lack thereof) and they have more garages and more space. Tribute to some of the last high-floor artics carried by transit agencies in the USA, the Neoplan AN460, operated most prominently by WMATA and SEPTA (And techinally NJTransit, but they have the AN459 made specifically for them due to clearance issues at Port Authority)