When CTA buses are retired

MRChiCity

When a CTA bus is retired how is it taken to south shops? Do they tow it to south shops or is it driven to south shops? Thanks

It all depends on several factors: vehicle condition and quantity of retired vehicles. If it's a small quantity, they sometimes just drive them to South Shops. But not always the case.... when the Flyers were retired in late 2001, the final four(I believe I read that only four remained as of 9/11/01) were towed late night from Forest Glen to South Shops for retirement. NABI, even though they were unsafe, many reported seeing them being driven to their final stops for retirement, though some were towed because of condition or to save time/money.

It's ultimately several factors, however....

One of our fire dept buses a former 4900 series TMC RTS was towed from the CFD shops on 31st st to SS for scrapping as with our NF we were using. That was towed to 101st/Stony behind 103rd Garage where it was auctioned off.

One of our fire dept buses a former 4900 series TMC RTS was towed from the CFD shops on 31st st to SS for scrapping as with our NF we were using. That was towed to 101st/Stony behind 103rd Garage where it was auctioned off.

I saw it at the shop this past Friday. I was trying to take a shot through my binoculars but it's too much construction going on out there. I don't what the hell the other TMC RTS came from that's sitting next to y'all fire dept one.

I saw it at the shop this past Friday. I was trying to take a shot through my binoculars but it's too much construction going on out there. I don't what the hell the other TMC RTS came from that's sitting next to y'all fire dept one.

We were in the process of getting that bus restarted and put back in service when we found out it was ordered to be towed away. along with the 5800 New Flyer we had. We do have a 5800 NF (5858) assigned at Engine Co. #107 at 1101 S California if you happen to go by there at some time.

It all depends on several factors: vehicle condition and quantity of retired vehicles. If it's a small quantity, they sometimes just drive them to South Shops. But not always the case.... when the Flyers were retired in late 2001, the final four(I believe I read that only four remained as of 9/11/01) were towed late night from Forest Glen to South Shops for retirement. NABI, even though they were unsafe, many reported seeing them being driven to their final stops for retirement, though some were towed because of condition or to save time/money.

It's ultimately several factors, however....

A quick check of the bus section on the forum reveals that the Flyer 9800s were retired in 2002 actually. But yes it is true that it depends on vehicle condition. I remember after the 82 got the accessible designation that knocked out the need for about half the Americanas that Kedzie still had at that time as the 50 and 126 had already slid in that direction a few months prior. And over the course of that week following, they had much of that lower half of Kedzie's Americana roster parked on the side of the garage near the employee parking area so that they could drive those that were going to keep in service up to North Park while the ones they were going to retire I think might have gotten driven down to South Shops to await their trip to the scrapper.

Wow lol that explains that bus I see way in the back ground when I'm getting off the expressway on my way to work lol. Every time I see it I think to myself like that looks like a bus in the back of that lot but I wasn't sure until now lol.

We were in the process of getting that bus restarted and put back in service when we found out it was ordered to be towed away. along with the 5800 New Flyer we had. We do have a 5800 NF (5858) assigned at Engine Co. #107 at 1101 S California if you happen to go by there at some time.

That's very cool to hear!