They're Here (30 ft ElDorado low floors THE 2600s)

pace2322

You should know, if you took pics!
We have some comprehension problems here folks. My point is that I knew where they were on November 16, but the question is where they are now (and at least why 2633-2639 are not on the road in Highland Park, as of yesterday).

I can't understand why Niles would not have them. They are not that much longer than the Chance's are they ??? And why would Niles not want new, better(in theory) equipment. Is it a maintenance thing ? If they are that much bigger, might it be a storage thing ???
Although I had previously posted a possible rationale, this is basically why either I am (1) not buying the story or (2) concluding that the people who run the transit agencies here don't know what they are doing, in this case in that Pace is pleading a lack of capital funds, but apparently had $3 million to spend on buses that were not wanted, had they asked. Hence, with most things happening lately, I don't understand it either, but obviously the promise that they would be delivered in 2006 was not fulfilled.

I sent an e-mail to the Village of Niles when I got home last night and had a reply this morning.

Thank you for your interest in the Niles Free Bus System.  At the last

meeting I attended concerning the new buses, modifications were still

being made at the PACE facility, thus they were not ready for delivery

yet.  When the buses are ready for delivery, training of the drivers

will need to be completed as they are longer and wider, and the driver

sits in a different position then the current bus.  

I would anticipate an event will be held to kick-off the use of the new

buses when they are placed in service.  Should you have any additional

questions please contact me.

Bob Pilat

Thats kind of funny.theres have been sitting at south for the last three weeks now.And nothing have been done to them.
Maybe someone from South could drive them up there and give the Niles Public Services drivers the training. I sense a failure to communicate (Cool Hand Luke).

P.S. Someone with an SBC account has been taking the "garage rumors" from here and using them as the basis for Wikipedia postings, but I don't think they are verifiable in a Wikipedia sense unless someone posts here an actual observation. (The Pace press release should be the verifiable source, but this thread has placed several doubts about the one at issue). Since two of us have seen 2632 on 471, we can credit that observation. However, as previously mentioned, 2633-2639 are also "missing in action."

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe the logjam is starting to break. 2632 and 2634 are running in Highland Park today, in 2634's case, just 11 weeks after being in the South Holland yard. :rolleyes: 6684 was still on the third run.

Moving into the Future said this week that "Some of the areas that are due for bus replacements include ... McHenry ... ." I don't know if it pays to read between the lines anymore, but it would seem from this that the second group hasn't reached McHenry yet.

Pretty unlikely, since they are on low volume routes. At least according to Moving into the Future, they are supposed to go to places like Aurora (already there), Highland Park, Niles, McHenry, then presumably to replace 2500 series ElDorados (they said buses were overdue for replacement in such places as Elmhurst, Naperville, and DesPlaines, but I don't know if Pace-owned equipment runs in Naperville, and the reference to Des Plaines might be to the 694 in Mount Prospect). Now you know why I don't read the tea leaves anymore. In any event, I doubt that Pace has any low volume routes out of Forest Park, and, except for the couple of Elmhurst buses, West has been pretty much all 40-footers, having received about 85 6200 series NABIs from the last two orders (and having about 36 Orion VIs). There may be a few 2200s left to replace, but I seriously doubt that that would be directly with 2600s.

P.S. That Moving into the Future was the first time that Pace publicly acknowledged that some blue NABIs were at North Shore. They previously said that the first ones were going to West.

Well i found out why Niles doesnt have theres yet. There wont fit in the wash rack at Niles. There going to have to make a new one or maybe just hand wash them. So as of right now 2600 to 2631 are in Aurora 2632 to 2639 are going to Highland Park. Once Niles finds out what there are going to do there will get 2640 to 2649.

Watching that video you notice that 2635's front end is smashed up pretty good.
On the website, they swapped the 4 p.m. video with the 6 p.m. one. The latter more supports that inference. (Stopping it, at about 1:39, it looks like it is in 6173 territory, but maybe most of the damage is in the windshield area.) However, the story was much more impressive on a 27" TV than a Flash thumbnail.

The 10 pm Channel 5 news indicated that the front right pillar took a good hit, striking a high conversion type van.

Update: The Channel 7 video is now from 10 pm, and shows the front pillar damage a little more clearly.