Have 2400- or 3200-series cars ever run on the Pink Line at all?

Pink Jazz

While neither the 2400-series nor the 3200-series cars have ever been officially assigned to the Pink Line, I wonder, have either of these two series of cars ever run on the Pink Line at all, either in an emergency or from borrowing other lines' equipment?  Google shows no images of any.  I know when the Pink Line first entered service it used a mix of 2200- and 2600-series cars.

While neither the 2400-series nor the 3200-series cars have ever been officially assigned to the Pink Line, I wonder, have either of these two series of cars ever run on the Pink Line at all, either in an emergency or from borrowing other lines' equipment?  Google shows no images of any.  I know when the Pink Line first entered service it used a mix of 2200- and 2600-series cars.

2400's: Not that I know of, so I'm a "No"

3200's: These have only been assigned to the Brown, Orange, Yellow, Red and Purple Lines..... so "No" here.

• Upvote 1

I recall some 2400s being assigned to what was then the Congress/Douglas Milwaukee line via the Dearborn subway during the 1979-81 timeframe; especially those in the mid to upper 2500's; up to and including the last pair in the series 2599-2600.   As the 80's progressed, and the 2600 series came online, I believe the majority of these cars eventually wound up on the Ravenswood (Brown) line, at least initially.  

However, I don't think the 2400s ever used the Paulina connector (now part of the Pink line) in revenue service, and I'm also fairly certain that the 3200s have never been assigned there either (corrections welcome...) 

Edited by metx161
additional clarity
  • Upvote 2

2400's: Not that I know of, so I'm a "No"

3200's: These have only been assigned to the Brown, Orange, Yellow, Red and Purple Lines..... so "No" here.

I've never seen or heard of the 3200's assigned to the Red Line. I know the Purple had a few assigned from time to time but I've never seen them on the Red Line.

I know they have never been officially assigned to the Pink Line, however, have they ever even been used on the line in an emergency or from borrowing other lines' equipment?  That is what I would like to know.

I want to know if you think someone has 40 years of service records or has had their eyes at those locations on a continuous basis over the past 40 years. That's essentially what you are asking, whether someone here has had a freak experience.

As "Metx161" stated, in the late 70s / early 80s,  2400s were assigned on much of the r.o.w (right-of-way) that is now the Pine Line. The only differences are, the route at that time was known as the Douglas Park - Milwaukee "B" train. Also, this line did not enter the loop via the Paulina Connector; it used the ramp at Paulina/Ashland to merge with the Congress - Milwaukee "A" train via the Eisenhower Expressway median r.o.w, through the Dearborn Street subway and then finally terminated at Jefferson Park on the Northwest side. The series out of the 200 car order that were assigned to this line were 2531 to 2600. The reason I remember that is because the cars assigned to the North - South at that time ended with married pair 2529 - 2530. These cars frequently trained with the 2200 series assigned to the West - Northwest. When the Budd 2600s started being received by CTA during the early 80s, they replaced the 2400s on the Congress/Douglas Milwaukee (series 2531 - 2600 were reassigned to the Dan Ryan - Lake).  As for the 3200s, the ONLY time they ever ran revenue on that r.o.w was when the then-new prototypes were being  tested throughout the system during the early 1990s.

I might have forgotten a few details. But I think I'm pretty close on most of what I said.

• Upvote 3

I've never seen or heard of the 3200's assigned to the Red Line. I know the Purple had a few assigned from time to time but I've never seen them on the Red Line.

cta3431.jpg

They were assigned to the Red Line before.

As you indicated, Brunswick, they were assigned for a time in 2003 for what they say in the picture caption "testing purposes". What that was about, maybe someone can enlighten us.... maybe running in the State St. Subway???? Anyhow, to be specific, here was the transfer list....

Red Line: 3401-3402,3411-3412,3431-3432,3439-3440

Brown Line: 2681-2682,2769-2770,2825-2826,2853-2854(2989-2998 was assigned to the Brown Line regularly at this time)

I know they have never been officially assigned to the Pink Line, however, have they ever even been used on the line in an emergency or from borrowing other lines' equipment?  That is what I would like to know.

During the Blizzard of 1999, some 3200s were used for about a week on the Blue Line.  I remember thinking how cool it was seeing them on the Blue Line and coupled with 2600s and 2200s.  The system was so crippled at the time that any equipment that was operable was used to maintain some kind of service.  That was during the time the Brown Line still ran 6 car trains and I believe the Green Line was still operating only 4 car trains.   And the 3200s that were used on the Blue Line were from both the Orange and Brown Lines. 

• Upvote 3

During the Blizzard of 1999, some 3200s were used for about a week on the Blue Line.  I remember thinking how cool it was seeing them on the Blue Line and coupled with 2600s and 2200s.  The system was so crippled at the time that any equipment that was operable was used to maintain some kind of service...

So they might have been on the Douglas Branch at most, but not what is known as the entire Pink Line.

During the Blizzard of 1999, some 3200s were used for about a week on the Blue Line.  I remember thinking how cool it was seeing them on the Blue Line and coupled with 2600s and 2200s.  The system was so crippled at the time that any equipment that was operable was used to maintain some kind of service.  That was during the time the Brown Line still ran 6 car trains and I believe the Green Line was still operating only 4 car trains.   And the 3200s that were used on the Blue Line were from both the Orange and Brown Lines. 

I definitely learned something new here.  I do vaguely remember 3200s being used on the Green Line during periods of extreme winter weather in years past; I never knew that they used them on the Blue Line also.  If only someone had a picture or two they could post; I would love to see some newer equipment on the Blue Line, if only for a few days.

I did seen an 8-car set of 3200s working the Red Line with sign "Howard" one time back in sometime 2007 at Lake St Stop.  I figured it was a loaner.