IRM CTA bus route maps

MRChiCity

Check this out http://irm-cta.org/route_descriptions.html very interesting stuff,especially when Limits was still open. And the Evanston routes wow, I'm suprised they would even pull in/out l all the way out to Centeral and Crawford. How come they didn't have them just pull in/out from Howard street only? Enjoy. 

Check this out http://irm-cta.org/route_descriptions.html very interesting stuff,especially when Limits was still open. And the Evanston routes wow, I'm suprised they would even pull in/out l all the way out to Centeral and Crawford. How come they didn't have them just pull in/out from Howard street only? Enjoy. 

Usually, Central-Crawford was either an interline between 201 Central and 205 Grant, or the triangle with Gross Point Road provided a turnback. Also, in more recent times, those routes served by Forest Glen deadheaded via Pulaski/Crawford. In any event, a deadhead via McCormick to North Park is the most direct.

Pertaining to the Central/Crawford Question - ask yourself (generally speaking) if it makes any sense to run the first bus out of Howard outbound (with little ridership) or deadhead and start inbound at Crawford (where the need to go to Purple/Metra exists)?

• Upvote 3

Usually, Central-Crawford was either an interline between 201 Central and 205 Grant, or the triangle with Gross Point Road provided a turnback. Also, in more recent times, those routes served by Forest Glen deadheaded via Pulaski/Crawford. In any event, a deadhead via McCormick to North Park is the most direct.

Well prior to the restructurings of 2003, the route would have been 203. I do agree with you though that it was typically how things were and still are done from North Park.

A thought occurred to me. Whereas the schedule archives are route info from a passenger's point of view and these route descriptions are from the operator's point of view, I wonder how many operators outside of operators that were transit fans like those on this forum actually cared about the route histories that were given with some of the descriptions. 

... In any event, a deadhead via McCormick to North Park is the most direct.

Looking at the 201 collection, interesting that the deadhead originally was via Dodge, and McCormick is reflected only starting with the 1992 maps.

A thought occurred to me. Whereas the schedule archives are route info from a passenger's point of view and these route descriptions are from the operator's point of view, I wonder how many operators outside of operators that were transit fans like those on this forum actually cared about the route histories that were given with some of the descriptions.

The idea for the route histories was from Dave Phillips, who ran the planning dept at the time (mid 80's). I did the actual compilations.

The idea for the route histories was from Dave Phillips, who ran the planning dept at the time (mid 80's). I did the actual compilations.

Somehow I'm not surprised that you had some involvement in putting together the route histories, given some of the things you teach our forum group. Did the planning dept. continue giving operators' route histories beyond the 1990's?

In the book distributed 09/09/1982, Dave Phillips wrote on the cover letter, "I would like to thank Mr. Andre Kristopans, a former CTA employee for his contribution to the Description of Routes.  Mr. Kristopans volunteered his services over the past year to complete the route history segment of the book."

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting that when the #19 express started just two years before the Stadium was torn down and the United Center was built. Three Questions, when did the name change to United Center express? Does Chicago garage still have some runs or is it all run from Kedzie? Finally how come the return route no longer runs on Halsted? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Andre, do you (or someone else) have the Route Descriptions chronology in any computer format?  That's what seems to have been lost.  I have a 1997 printout, but it would all have to be retyped or OCR'd to get it on the Web.

You can look at Chicago Transit and Railfan, but you would need their permission to reuse it.

Andre, do you (or someone else) have the Route Descriptions chronology in any computer format?  That's what seems to have been lost.  I have a 1997 printout, but it would all have to be retyped or OCR'd to get it on the Web.

Are you looking for the information on the back of the 8½x11 route descriptions that Andre did or something else?