Megabus at Union Station

pudgym29

Megabus is supposedly moving the Midwest "Hub" (not clear from articles what this means) from Chicago to Cincinnati, and hiring 50 staff in Janesville, WI, and another 20 in "the Ohio operation based in Toledo, Cleveland, and Cincinnati."

The Tribune article mentions 100 Chicago staff being laid off, presumably the 70 new staff in Ohio and Wisconsin are the replacements.

http://www.wkow.com/story/33679414/2016/11/Thursday/megabuscom-adding-jobs-to-new-janesville-facility

http://www.fox19.com/story/33678934/megabus-driver-cleveland-toledo-cincinnati

20 minutes ago, Tcmetro said:

Megabus is supposedly moving the Midwest "Hub" (not clear from articles what this means) from Chicago to Cincinnati,

Usually means where a group of routes come together, presumably for transfers (such as O'Hare and Atlanta being airport hubs), as contrasted to the article saying some buses will pass through Chicago (such as a Cincinnati to Minneapolis route). Will be able to pick up a bus here, but other than providing a bus stop, there won't be any support personnel.

Picking up on @artthouwill saying that the Chicago office isn't interested in motor coach operations, it looks like the Janesville operation will be run out of Van Galder Bus.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

While all are Coach USA (or Stagecoach), the question is how much this operation was run out of Chicago, as compared to corporate somewhere else. The website indicates that the Megabus corporate office is in Elizabeth, N.J. (click More Contact Options). Admittedly, someone put Keeshin out of business, while retaining Chicago Trolley and Double Decker, and TriState Airport Express.

Greyhound would also be losing money if it sold rides for $1. Of course it would also be up to First Group (again Brits) to decide if Greyhound was worth running. I don't think either is going the Pace route by substituting 30 foot buses for their current fleet.

Actually Greyhound is running a 25 to 30 seat minibus between Chicago and Davenport,  IA.  I suppose Illinois paid for the vehicles as the fleet numbers begin with IL then the number.   It's strange to see  a Greyhound logo and livery on a minibus.  It is a Greyhound Connect service,  which is akin to United Express is to United Airlines. 

1 hour ago, Tcmetro said:

Megabus is supposedly moving the Midwest "Hub" (not clear from articles what this means) from Chicago to Cincinnati, and hiring 50 staff in Janesville, WI, and another 20 in "the Ohio operation based in Toledo, Cleveland, and Cincinnati."

The Tribune article mentions 100 Chicago staff being laid off, presumably the 70 new staff in Ohio and Wisconsin are the replacements.

http://www.wkow.com/story/33679414/2016/11/Thursday/megabuscom-adding-jobs-to-new-janesville-facility

http://www.fox19.com/story/33678934/megabus-driver-cleveland-toledo-cincinnati

It makes sense.   Lakefront Lines is a Coach USA company based in suburban Cleveland Is one of the largest Coach operators in the country.   It makes connecting to Megabus east coast operations easier.   It doesn't cost anything to have them service their buses there.  Similarly Van Galder can do the same and all of their drivers are familiar with Chicago.  It is also easier to overnight drivers from the bases rather than more expensive cites.  

They could actually reduce overnights by having Janesville based drivers operating from Madison to Minneapolis and back.   Janesville drivers can do Madison to Chicago and back by swapping buses in Chicago with Cincinnati based drivers that can drive from/to Cincinnati,  cutting hotel expenses. 

22 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Actually Greyhound is running a 25 to 30 seat minibus between Chicago and Davenport,  IA.  I suppose Illinois paid for the vehicles as the fleet numbers begin with IL then the number.   It's strange to see  a Greyhound logo and livery on a minibus.  It is a Greyhound Connect service,  which is akin to United Express is to United Airlines. 

NIU article about this. Apparently operated by Greyhound, but funded through a federal Rural Area Formula Grant.

• 2 months later...
On 11/14/2016 at 2:26 PM, Busjack said:

NIU article about this. Apparently operated by Greyhound, but funded through a federal Rural Area Formula Grant.

I actually saw this smaller bus one day at Naperville Metra.  The bus was supposed to arrive at 7:40 am, but it didn't get there till around 8am so I was able to see it when I got off the Metra train.  I noticed about 6 people getting on this bus heading to Davenport and the seats from the outside looked very comfortable.  

On 2/15/2017 at 10:13 AM, rotjohns said:

I actually saw this smaller bus one day at Naperville Metra.  The bus was supposed to arrive at 7:40 am, but it didn't get there till around 8am so I was able to see it when I got off the Metra train.  I noticed about 6 people getting on this bus heading to Davenport and the seats from the outside looked very comfortable.  

IMG_7160.JPG

Here is the westbound bus leaving Rochelle at 6:15 PM tonight (Tuesday 2/21). Only one passenger on board. I agree the seats looked comfortable.