Metra upset CTA is getting more Covid relief funds than them

BusHunter

Kind of an interesting article on chicago-l.org today. Metra is upset because cta is getting a bigger share of the covid relief pie. Cta is getting 800 million. Metra is getting 479 million and Pace is getting 112 million. 479 mill ain't a bad day at work. If I was Pace I would be complaining. Still free money is good it's better than no money.

3 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Kind of an interesting article on chicago-l.org today. Metra is upset because cta is getting a bigger share of the covid relief pie. Cta is getting 800 million. Metra is getting 479 million and Pace is getting 112 million. 479 mill ain't a bad day at work. If I was Pace I would be complaining. Still free money is good it's better than no money.

Actually that was the first bill. Second relief is 486 mill with cta getting 3/4.

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Actually that was the first bill. Second relief is 486 mill with cta getting 3/4.

I mean I KINDA get them but still cta has a HEAVIER day to day and off peak need. Pace is getting their own grub but ridership wise and service demand wise it seems proportinal. Pace’s TOP route is on par with 35th which is like in the bottom half ridership wise so...

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

I mean I KINDA get them but still cta has a HEAVIER day to day and off peak need. Pace is getting their own grub but ridership wise and service demand wise it seems proportinal. Pace’s TOP route is on par with 35th which is like in the bottom half ridership wise so...

Honestly, Metra was probably the hardest hit out of the big commuter rail systems. They don't have the ridership of NJTransit or LIRR, they don't serve multiple destination centers, especially ones that could encourage reverse commutes (Like Metro-North or say, Caltrain or Metrolink). And especially unlike NJTransit (or the MBTA), Metra's ridership isn't as spread out over all its lines.

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Honestly, Metra was probably the hardest hit out of the big commuter rail systems. They don't have the ridership of NJTransit or LIRR, they don't serve multiple destination centers, especially ones that could encourage reverse commutes (Like Metro-North or say, Caltrain or Metrolink). And especially unlike NJTransit (or the MBTA), Metra's ridership isn't as spread out over all its lines.

Metra should've been in court forcing the UP to collect fares immediately, instead of waiting months to do so.

The Daily Herald article is here.

I agree with the RTA’s reasoning. Metra’s primary purpose was to serve rush hour downtown trips. Of course, this market experienced the largest ridership loss and is not expected to recover soon. Derwinski seems to recognize this and wants more funding to experiment with nontraditional service. However, these funds are meant to sustain current service and do not create a new standard for future allocations.