Create Your Own CTA Line

BrownLineTrainToTheLoop

1 hour ago, Nitro said:

The CTA is much safer than the MTA its crime riddled, farebeating, unreliable, conquesting, & subway surfing counterpart which is one of the most corrupt agencies in New York right next to the DOE.

So we're boring because not as much weirdness happens. I think you're in the wrong forum my guy ?

On 10/3/2023 at 3:52 PM, Nitro said:

Thanks, My new line was about the 47th Street flyover the Cyan Line would use to Wallace/49th.

NY MTA should build s subway to Irondequoit, New York. When I lived there, only service was at 3:00 a.m. Governor Hochul would approve.

5 hours ago, Busjack said:

NY MTA should build s subway to Irondequoit, New York. When I lived there, only service was at 3:00 a.m. Governor Hochul would approve.

AMTRAK and other transit agencies should be the one getting the funds for rail service to Upstate NY, It is possible to extend the Metro North Railroad to Albany if AMTRAK will allow it since they own the ROW from New York City to Schenectady.

On 10/3/2023 at 7:57 PM, Nitro said:

Thanks, My new line was about the 47th Street flyover the Cyan Line would use to Wallace/49th.

There is no demand for the route you propose, and where is the capacity to handle another new line in the loop when CTA is considering MOVING A LINE OFF THE LOOP to address said concern. 

On 10/5/2023 at 6:40 PM, Sam92 said:

There is no demand for the route you propose, and where is the capacity to handle another new line in the loop when CTA is considering MOVING A LINE OFF THE LOOP to address said concern. 

How are they going to do that? With the circle line? You make me laugh.

1 hour ago, Nitro said:

How are they going to do that? With the circle line? You make me laugh.

And this is from a Henny Youngman, whose first priority was, after creating a line to nowhere, assigning a color to it. Why not the Puce Line?

21 minutes ago, Busjack said:

And this is from a Henny Youngman, whose first priority was, after creating a line to nowhere, assigning a color to it. Why not the Puce Line?

I'll assign my fictional totally not redundant and everywhere route to Summit via the Stevenson Expressway.

23 minutes ago, Nitro said:

I'll assign my fictional totally not redundant and everywhere route to Summit via the Stevenson Expressway.

Sorry, you proved again you're totally ignorant of Chicago, for the 4127th time.. The Orange Line was originally slated for the Stevenson, butt ended up where it did.

Only thing in Summit is Hawthorne Race Course. Maybe you can name your line after the color of what they shovel there.

2 hours ago, Nitro said:

You mean the Stevenson that CTA CHOSE NOT TO send the orange line down because expressway median lines while "innovative" at the time for the Dan Ryan, Congress and Kennedy but was later determined detrimental due to harder access to median based lines? CTA opted for rail ROW in the area because it was already there and allowed the orange line to serve more customers vs staying in I-55? THAT Stevenson? Also choosing I-55 would still have redundancy with the orange line out to 35th/Archer which is basically half that line at that point ??

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Sorry, you proved again you're totally ignorant of Chicago, for the 4127th time.. The Orange Line was originally slated for the Stevenson, butt ended up where it did.

Only thing in Summit is Hawthorne Race Course. Maybe you can name your line after the color of what they shovel there.

Redundant of the brown line in name ?

2 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Redundant of the brown line in name ?

On some Spanish-language signs, CTA referred to "la linea Cafe." This one would be "la linea Mierda."

Also, I might have confused Summit and Stickney, but unless the Manhattan savant intended to tunnel under Midway Airport* or do demolition in Mike Madigan's territory, it would necessarily be redundant of la linea Naranja.

---------

*There was a proposal to tunnel under O'Hare to extend la linea Azul to Schaumburg, which also went nowhere.

Maybe I can propose a couple that make sense, but I know there isn't any money for them. Also, these have to be on "modern" concrete elevated structures (similar to LBMM portion of RPM or Pink Line parallel to Cullerton) and not 1890s style structures over the street.

• Reinstate Humboldt Park Branch, but extend it over the Milw to at least Cicero might have to move it to Bloomingdale), and send it downtown to Morgan (or maybe interline it with the Pink Line up the ramp). There is at least a sizeable population around Humboldt Park, and the electric bus PR indicates that it is an environmental justice area. Sources, such as chicago-l.org, indicate that CTA choked it before terminating it, by making it a shuttle with a wooden car and an inconvenient platform transfer at Damen,
  • I still think the Obama Center should have been built at Garfield and King Dr., but that's water under the dam, so the question is whether there is an alley ROW between Prairie and Stony Island.
  • I mentioned a couple of possible LRV routes, but these work only if there is a median.

21 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Maybe I can propose a couple that make sense, but I know there isn't any money for them. Also, these have to be on "modern" concrete elevated structures (similar to LBMM portion of RPM or Pink Line parallel to Cullerton) and not 1890s style structures over the street.

• Reinstate Humboldt Park Branch, but extend it over the Milw to at least Cicero might have to move it to Bloomingdale), and send it downtown to Morgan (or maybe interline it with the Pink Line up the ramp). There is at least a sizeable population around Humboldt Park, and the electric bus PR indicates that it is an environmental justice area. Sources, such as chicago-l.org, indicate that CTA choked it before terminating it, by making it a shuttle with a wooden car and an inconvenient platform transfer at Damen,
  • I still think the Obama Center should have been built at Garfield and King Dr., but that's water under the dam, so the question is whether there is an alley ROW between Prairie and Stony Island.
  • I mentioned a couple of possible LRV routes, but these work only if there is a median.

Certainly in agreement with the first two.  I would like to extend the Green Line to operate on the abandoned tracks next to the Skyway to at least Commercial,  if not all the way to 108th following the Skyway into Indiana.   Then either make both branches shuttles to Garfield or just make the Ashl/63 branch a shuttle and tear down the Cottage Grove branch altogether.   Since I think current development around the Cottage Grove Station seems centered around the station,  my second option doesn't work.   Neither does alternating trains between Cottage Grove and Commercial or 108th.  

Maybe an alley north of 63rd gets this branch an extension Dorchester. 

3 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Certainly in agreement with the first two.  I would like to extend the Green Line to operate on the abandoned tracks next to the Skyway to at least Commercial,  if not all the way to 108th following the Skyway into Indiana.   Then either make both branches shuttles to Garfield or just make the Ashl/63 branch a shuttle and tear down the Cottage Grove branch altogether.   Since I think current development around the Cottage Grove Station seems centered around the station,  my second option doesn't work.   Neither does alternating trains between Cottage Grove and Commercial or 108th.  

Maybe an alley north of 63rd gets this branch an extension Dorchester. 

I previously said that the Skyway alignment was feasible, but I like my idea of converting the ME South Chicago branch to LRV better. Just personal taste.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

38 minutes ago, sht6131 said:

I probably was too small or it was before my time.  The question is when this occurred relative to the Milwaukee subway?  If the Humboldt Pk branch was somewhat in existence when the lMilwaukee line was thru routed to the Congress and Douglas branches, could a better alternative been to thru route  and pair Humboldt with Douglas?  Or route Humboldt to Lake Street  and circle the Loop?   Or even  let Humboldt be routing it counterclockwise during the A.M. and clockwise during the P.M?

What you and @Busjackdescribed was basically a sabotage scheme to cut the route altogether and put everyone on the Milwaukee line.  That's a shame because I think a Humboldt Park line would have eased some pressure from the Blue Line.   My iteration would have Humboldt Park line run through the subway and connect with the current Pink Line from the Loomis incline, creating a thru route Pink Line from Humboldt Park to Cermak/54.

26 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

The question is when this occurred relative to the Milwaukee subway?

The chicago-l.org page I cited indicated that the undermining started in 1948 (basically CTA didn't care for cutting cars from Logan Square trains) but the death knell was the subway, because wood cars weren't allowed there. However, the page on the Paulina Connector indicates that that the stretch north of Lake was not demolished until 1964.  

36 minutes ago, Busjack said:

The chicago-l.org page I cited indicated that the undermining started in 1948 (basically CTA didn't care for cutting cars from Logan Square trains) but the death knell was the subway, because wood cars weren't allowed there. However, the page on the Paulina Connector indicates that that the stretch north of Lake was not demolished until 1964.  

The only remnant of that is the bridge over the UP-W and MD tracks.  Once upon a time there was evidence of the line when descending into the Milwaukee subway north of Division but those pillars appear to be gone now.

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I probably was too small or it was before my time.  The question is when this occurred relative to the Milwaukee subway?  If the Humboldt Pk branch was somewhat in existence when the lMilwaukee line was thru routed to the Congress and Douglas branches, could a better alternative been to thru route  and pair Humboldt with Douglas?  Or route Humboldt to Lake Street  and circle the Loop?   Or even  let Humboldt be routing it counterclockwise during the A.M. and clockwise during the P.M?

What you and @Busjackdescribed was basically a sabotage scheme to cut the route altogether and put everyone on the Milwaukee line.  That's a shame because I think a Humboldt Park line would have eased some pressure from the Blue Line.   My iteration would have Humboldt Park line run through the subway and connect with the current Pink Line from the Loomis incline, creating a thru route Pink Line from Humboldt Park to Cermak/54.

Sabotage is perfect. To pacify the riders CTA replaced the Humboldt branch with rush hour Limited bus service to service the discontinued stops. I know this is hearsay but I was told by supervisors and drivers that supervisors would pull some of these buses for fill/ins for other routes. Riders could not depend on them. Its a wonder the service last about eight years. Probably politics.