19 United Center Express

renardo870

1 hour ago, renardo870 said:

I was just checking the CTA bis schedule for the 19 United Center Express and I noticed it's not running at this time for events. All customers are referred to ride 20 Madison. Is this because of manpower issues or what?

I think that’s always what it’s been. Only for big events. 

2 hours ago, renardo870 said:

I was just checking the CTA bis schedule for the 19 United Center Express and I noticed it's not running at this time for events. All customers are referred to ride 20 Madison. Is this because of manpower issues or what?

But then I looked at 128 page it says something different so maybe the 19 is being seen as repetitive with it no longer having the direct msg mike connection. Those 19s might end up being turned to extras on the #20 that only operate between damen and downtown since halsted to Damen is the only stretch where those 2 routes differ and Randolph is such a joke for traffic might as well stay on Madison at this point

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

But then I looked at 128 page it says something different so maybe the 19 is being seen as repetitive with it no longer having the direct msg mike connection. Those 19s might end up being turned to extras on the #20 that only operate between damen and downtown since halsted to Damen is the only stretch where those 2 routes differ and Randolph is such a joke for traffic might as well stay on Madison at this point

19 still operates 

4 hours ago, Sam92 said:

I think that’s always what it’s been. Only for big events. 

So do Bulls/Blackhawks games just not have that draw? What's the seating capacity? Soldier Field is the smallest NFL stadium by capacity at 61.5k seats, but there was a literal phalanx of  artics waiting to run 146 & 128 and the stadium was definitely at least three quarters full. I also didn't know the 19 didn't run with artics.

50 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

So do Bulls/Blackhawks games just not have that draw? What's the seating capacity? Soldier Field is the smallest NFL stadium by capacity at 61.5k seats, but there was a literal phalanx of  artics waiting to run 146 & 128 and the stadium was definitely at least three quarters full. I also didn't know the 19 didn't run with artics.

Well someone else said it still runs. I’d imagine home games should have some draw so maybe he page wasn’t updated. I think either to or from the 19 runs artics one way. I think C does one half and K the other half

36 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Well someone else said it still runs. I’d imagine home games should have some draw so maybe he page wasn’t updated. I think either to or from the 19 runs artics one way. I think C does one half and K the other half

Buses probably aren't as as crowded as the soldier field routes. All the Pace and CTA buses leaving were packed to the gills. Now that I think about it, Pace doesn't do any service to United Center and I don't know if they have at some point

49 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Buses probably aren't as as crowded as the soldier field routes. All the Pace and CTA buses leaving were packed to the gills. Now that I think about it, Pace doesn't do any service to United Center and I don't know if they have at some point

Pace did operate from Schaumburg (285), Buffalo Grove (286) and Bollingbrook (287) to the United Center for events Saturday and Sunday only for events at the United Center. They were called Madison Stadium Express. All three routes started 10/11/14 and ended after the Blackhawks game on 5/23/2015.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

The ridership is there. It’s like you said, you saw it running, others did too cta just goofed on updating the page between seasons. To be honest I’ve seen the 19 run all year more compared to the 128. I used to work at a jimmy johns on halsted and it stayed busy even in the summer. I got sent there like 8 times in one shift ?

It looks like since the United Center opened to the public the 19 has been running only inbound for events using Chicago articulated buses. Not all events have had service. I looked through the history feature on Maths22 for Chicago's artics and they were used as follows, since end of September:

• 9/25 - 4124 (Harry Styles);  
  • 10/1 - 4122, 4124 (Blackhawks);  
  • 10/2 - 4073 (Blackhawks);  
  • 10/5 - 4071, 4078, 4098, 4123 (Bulls);  
  • 10/7 - 4078, 4083, 4117 (J.Cole);  
  • 10/27 - 4068, 4090 (Blackhawks - OT)

Blackhawks were also at home on 10/9, 10/19, 10/21, 10/24 and 11/1 and the Bulls 10/8, 10/15, 10/22, 10/23, 10/28 and 10/30. So it looks like cta provided service 19 for the first games of both pre-seasons (and the second Blackhawks pre-season) and the only other game covered was one that ran into over time on 10/27. For all other games the 20 has provided the service.

2 hours ago, busfan2847 said:

It looks like since the United Center opened to the public the 19 has been running only inbound for events using Chicago articulated buses. Not all events have had service. I looked through the history feature on Maths22 for Chicago's artics and they were used as follows, since end of September:

Blackhawks were also at home on 10/9, 10/19, 10/21, 10/24 and 11/1 and the Bulls 10/8, 10/15, 10/22, 10/23, 10/28 and 10/30. So it looks like cta provided service 19 for the first games of both pre-seasons (and the second Blackhawks pre-season) and the only other game covered was one that ran into over time on 10/27. For all other games the 20 has provided the service.

Guess they’re playing by ear moneywise

15 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

With the Bulls being so good this year, you'd think there'd be more attendance for home games. Oh well.

O don't think attendance is the issue.  With Uber and Lyft, it's more about the pandemic.   Who wants to be on a crowded bus?  At least there's more personal space,  not only in a car, but even in the stadium  it's not a confined space being shared.  I must admit that being on a full plane is not fun, especially during the pandemic. 

I'm wondering why the 19 isn't operating TO the United Center?  Is it a lack of artics?  Is it a lack of available drivers?

9 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

O don't think attendance is the issue.  With Uber and Lyft, it's more about the pandemic.   Who wants to be on a crowded bus?  At least there's more personal space,  not only in a car, but even in the stadium  it's not a confined space being shared.  I must admit that being on a full plane is not fun, especially during the pandemic. 

I'm wondering why the 19 isn't operating TO the United Center?  Is it a lack of artics?  Is it a lack of available drivers?

I might be inclined to agree, but people headed to Soldier Field seem to not have the same compunctions, so I don't see what the difference would be for United Center.

I thought inbound in this case meant inbound to the United Center, not the loop.

3 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I might be inclined to agree, but people headed to Soldier Field seem to not have the same compunctions, so I don't see what the difference would be for United Center.

I thought inbound in this case meant inbound to the United Center, not the loop.

Pippin. Me, inbound is towards downtown. 

Generally Speaking. Bears games are on Sundays so bus availability isn't an issue.  I have to check the schedule for any Monday or Thursday night games at Soldier Field, though that won't be an issue when the Besrs move to Arlington Heights.

I suppose that the UC crowd is mostly already downtown so shuttles really aren't that necessary before games. But after games getting to the Metra stations require more buses.  Perhaps the artics are more for social distance purposes since they used to use standard 40ft buses on the 19.

The 19 is a direct ride to Oglivie and Millennium,  but Union Station is a walk and if you ride SWS or BNSF, is a longer walk..  Those riders and RI riders might be more inclined to use Uber/Lyft or the Blue Line.   

I wonder what happens with the 19 once the Green Line Damen station opens.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Pippin. Me, inbound is towards downtown. 

Generally Speaking. Bears games are on Sundays so bus availability isn't an issue.  I have to check the schedule for any Monday or Thursday night games at Soldier Field, though that won't be an issue when the Besrs move to Arlington Heights.

I suppose that the UC crowd is mostly already downtown so shuttles really aren't that necessary before games. But after games getting to the Metra stations require more buses.  Perhaps the artics are more for social distance purposes since they used to use standard 40ft buses on the 19.

The 19 is a direct ride to Oglivie and Millennium,  but Union Station is a walk and if you ride SWS or BNSF, is a longer walk..  Those riders and RI riders might be more inclined to use Uber/Lyft or the Blue Line.   

I wonder what happens with the 19 once the Green Line Damen station opens.  

I’m with you on these points.  Soldier field may not be super far but it’s pretty hard to get to considering the 146 is the only thing going there and a lot of riders come off metra so it makes sense to have a dedicated metra shuttle and run the Kinzie-soldier field 146 shuttles as to keep the  main 146 on time. United center on the other hand… even without the Damen station the 20 is right there, someone from up north and far enough west might just take 50 straight down and as you said union station riders are by the blue line. I think what is also a factor might be, the 19 isn’t really saving much with the traffic on Randolph in the west loop being so volatile (Washington isn’t as bad which is probably why the few 19s that ran this year were back to downtown only) and the extra turns compared to the 20 which stays on a straight path. As far as artics on 19 they were they before Covid, you probably only saw them when Chicago was doing the runs. It’s always been Chicago in one direction using 40ft and the other direction k ran the route with artics.