When you're having a bad day...

BusHunter

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

When your having a bad day....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2022/01/28/frick-park-bridge-collapse-latest-updates/%3famp

Any idea how they are going to get the bus off the bridge?

So far no fatalities reported which is a great thing.

President Biden is scheduled to be in Pittsburgh today to push his infrastructure plan.  This was scheduled before today's incident.   Perhaps this accident will help him get funding approval from Congress. 

I think about the Dan Ryan Bridge deck between 31st and Roosevelt and the Kennedy Bridge deck between Augusta and Kimball and between Addison and Montrose.   Right now the Mile Long Bridge on the Tri State is being rebuilt.

I Think about the  I -35W Bridge collapse in Minneapolis back in 2004.  That Bridge was under construction at the time of the accident.   Our area's most recent Bridge collapse was the Cline Ave Bridge in Indiana.  I have traveled on both these bridges, the Minneapolis one just months before the collapse.   Shows how much we take for granted 

58 minutes ago, Railguy said:

Fox news bozos were saying this was planned for Bidens visit..  seriously

According to the news, the bridge in question was last inspected in October of 2921. Obviously the bridge remained open,  but nothing was said concerning the condition of the bridge.  While I wouldn't say the collapse was planned,  I believe Pittsburgh planned to show that bridge to Biden to highlight its need for infrastructure funding  

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

According to the news, the bridge in question was last inspected in October of 2921. Obviously the bridge remained open,  but nothing was said concerning the condition of the bridge.  While I wouldn't say the collapse was planned,  I believe Pittsburgh planned to show that bridge to Biden to highlight its need for infrastructure funding  

The status of a rusting cross beam was reported ~3 years ago and their solution was just to remove it apparently, with no sort of additional reinforcements

Would be nice to know the weight limit on that bridge. Ive been in places that are sort of rural like that and they always have signs saying what you can drive on it. My bus is 9 tons. So is an artic one and half times that. 14 or 15 tons??? Seems like a heavy vehicle for the bridge. 

10 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I Think about the  I -35W Bridge collapse in Minneapolis back in 2004.  That Bridge was under construction at the time of the accident.   Our area's most recent Bridge collapse was the Cline Ave Bridge in Indiana.  I have traveled on both these bridges, the Minneapolis one just months before the collapse.   Shows how much we take for granted 

The I-35 bridge collapse was cause by the contractor loading too much weight for the repaving of the bridge, which had far too small gusset plates, which hold together beams at points where they intersect or where the end.

It was poorly designed & then poorly constructed.

11 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Biden didn't need convincing.  He was already in favor of infrastructure funding.  It's the other party that needs convincing.

7 hours ago, Smolensk said:

Biden didn't need convincing.  He was already in favor of infrastructure funding.  It's the other party that needs convincing.

I was saying that this incident would bolster his case. 

To your point, how much will this cost and where's the money to pay for it coming from?  We can't say the U.S. is the richest country in the world and it carries the biggest deficit.

17 hours ago, Policeman said:

I wonder if they are going to fix the bus (glad the people are ok though)

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

That must be some crane. It must be holding 15 tons there. I thought for sure they would have to break the bus in half to carry it. 

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

4 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

A question I was wondering myself lol

Yeah thats the bus #3309. I guess it didnt sustain any damage. It just took a plunge. That may have been why it was craned in one piece. Cutting it might destroy it or cost more money than just hauling it in one piece. 

• MetroShadow changed the title to When you're having a bad day...