New bus video displays

strictures

6 hours ago, strictures said:

I was on bus 8415 today & it doesn't have the standard red LED inside display to show the next stop.  It has a full color video screen, that even has a map of the nearby streets that moves as the bus moves.  But it also doesn't have the Stop Requested sign when someone pulls the cord.

8411 & 8413-8414 are like that too, don't know what is wrong with thoses buses

17 hours ago, strictures said:

I was on bus 8415 today & it doesn't have the standard red LED inside display to show the next stop.  It has a full color video screen, that even has a map of the nearby streets that moves as the bus moves.  But it also doesn't have the Stop Requested sign when someone pulls the cord.

It kinda makes sense not to have a Stop Requested Display.   Mist passengers ignore it and continue to pull the cord or push the button expecting to hear the chime.  If anyone would need to see that Display it would be the bus driver.  Most buses place it where the driver can't see it, and the chime sound is very similar to the ring heard before each stop announcement.   At least Pace buses also have an audio announcement  " Stop Requested" which would help tremendously on CTA buses.

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

It kinda makes sense not to have a Stop Requested Display.   Mist passengers ignore it and continue to pull the cord or push the button expecting to hear the chime.  If anyone would need to see that Display it would be the bus driver.  Most buses place it where the driver can't see it, and the chime sound is very similar to the ring heard before each stop announcement.   At least Pace buses also have an audio announcement  " Stop Requested" which would help tremendously on CTA buses.

The stop request pops up on the dash board for all series and with flyers we can usually look up and see it if needed on the display board. 

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

The stop request pops up on the dash board for all series and with flyers we can usually look up and see it if needed on the display board. 

Thats funny because I have seen many drivers pass up stops when the cord was pulled.  I can see a driver missing the display in the bus but missing the one on the dash seems crazy.   It makes sense to have a display on the dash but si many drivers have blown past stops one would have never known dash displays existed.  I still think an audio "Stop Requested " announcement in addition to the display on the dash can help.   In the Pace buses the on board display is part of the screen that displays the next stop and is not in the driver's sight.   Since you say CTA buses have dash displays, I don't know if the same is true for Pace buses.  If it's a secondary check far the driver,  I can see them keeping it, but I don't think most passengers pay attention to it. 

• Haha 1

Fun fact.  The Stop Requested sign was introduced in 1976 on the CTA's 9600 series ( and RTA 8000 series) buses.  They were located above the right side visor.   The doorbell chime was introduced with the 9000s and lasted until the current chime was introduced with the 7500 series NABIs in 2005 ( and Pace's 6162s which had them in 2003).  The 7400 series were the last buses with the "buzzer" chime.

15 hours ago, artthouwill said:

The 7400 series were the last buses with the "buzzer" chime.

Which reminds me that if a 7400 was stopped at a red light and the bus stop was on the far side, one could press the signal button over the door and the driver would let you out; useful on the 151 in Lincoln Park. With the Stop Requested light, once someone pulled the cord, that was it.

• Upvote 1

On 1/30/2023 at 11:47 PM, strictures said:

Actually, it does. It is sequestered in the upper right corner of the video screen, which otherwise displays the round CTA logo. ?

77belmont-0896(8354).jpg

Edited by pudgym29
add image

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2023 at 8:53 PM, BananaBus14 said:

If and when the CTA ever updates the software on these displays, it would be nice for them to include Pace and Metra connections on the screens, making these screens much more useful for riders making connections outside the CTA.

From what I've seen from what 8350s I've already ridden so far, they quite likely already do. When, a stop with intersecting routes appears among the list of next few stops on the digital display, the corresponding bus route numbers and/or rail lines appear next to that stop's name. And if I remember correctly from the few times I managed to get an 8350 series on the 81, UP-North does appear next to the Ravenswood stop.

On 2/24/2023 at 9:18 AM, jajuan said:

From what I've seen from what 8350s I've already ridden so far, they quite likely already do. When, a stop with intersecting routes appears among the list of next few stops on the digital display, the corresponding bus route numbers and/or rail lines appear next to that stop's name. And if I remember correctly from the few times I managed to get an 8350 series on the 81, UP-North does appear next to the Ravenswood stop.

Gotcha, I've seen the corresponding CTA bus route numbers/rail lines at intersecting stops, but I've never seen Metra appear on the screen yet. Might have to ride an 8350 on the 81 to see what it looks like.